Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Saskatoon Blades Playoff Thread

Molleken should've been gone after the fiasco couple years ago when they got Schenn. They could've used the picks and prospects they gave up to get talent this year but now their screwed.
    Last edited by Trav; 03-30-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    I fully get what ur saying that neither team has won any championships but in todays day in age in sports with so many franchises in leagues the odds are stacked against each team to win.

As for ur comment about the Pats yes it is very sad how much the Parker's haave ran this franchise into the ground. Always quick band aid patches, every year thought he had the team for a long playoff run & trading away top prospects & picks for a chance for a round or 2 of playoff revenue. Lang is keeping on track from what he has tried to start here, the 5yr plan may seem abit long but when under Parker we had so many sub par drafts that Lang has to virtually start from scratch like its a brand new franchise.

Next year our 16yr old group finally looks strong but also big for once as well with Reagan 6'2 205+ & Fulton 6'4 almost 220 already who is suppose to be tough as well which is nice.
    I don't think the odds are stacked against any team. They all play under the same rules now. The rich teams don't really have any advantages. I will say it is harder to win because there are more teams. Edmonton is a good example. Why as an expansion team have they been able to win so soon? As for the Pats, I really hope Parker keeps his nose out of the hockey end of things. Been sad watching this franchise tumble like it has. 5 years to rebuild is really not that long. Patience and good management is whats needed to make it happen. Sometimes a little luck helps also.

Iconwhl

When every team only has about a 4.5% chance at the start of the year without factoring in any teams rosters those odds arnt very good even if it is the same for every team. Once you start factoring in each teams rosters for about 80% of the league those odds get worse. So yes the odds are stacked against you.

As for the Pats which i dont really wanna talk about on the Blades thread I do agree that hopefully things will turn for the better. But i dont wanna comment any further about the Pats here as its not proper since we got our own board.

So i heard the Blades get 2 weeks off to clear their heads & what not, hopefully it does its purpose & the kids can come back ready to put there work boots on. After watching the Ice vs Oil Kings last night on Sportsnet & hearing the panel talking about the Memorial Cup Tournament & how the current system is i have to fully agree with Kypreos (however the frick u spell it) when he doesnt agree with the current system in how it is flawed with the host team still being able to take part in the tournament even after a 1st round exit. A exit in the 3rd round isnt such a bad thing but in the 1st 2 rounds it should forfeit the teams right to take part in the tournament cuz it shows your not part of the elite teams.

I did like the idea of adding in the USHL Champion into the tournament instead of the host team. Have all 4 winners going for the cup instead. Or with the profits Hockey Canada & the CHL make from various international events (Subway Series, WJs, Top Prospects Game) put that money towards the 3 League Champions for travel expenses to go into each others buildings for a 1 game series against each.

Something has to change with the current format though cause teams not making it out of the 1st 2 rounds just doesnt make sense to be able to take part in the year end tournament. Pick a venue in a league & the 2 teams in the final get berths into the Memorial Cup makes the most sense. If its not the host team oh well put a better product on the ice. Its like the host of the Grey Cup/Super Bowl ya it would be great if the Home Team was part of the game but oh well if your not a good enough team that year to make it.

When every team only has about a 4.5% chance at the start of the year without factoring in any teams rosters those odds arnt very good even if it is the same for every team. Once you start factoring in each teams rosters for about 80% of the league those odds get worse. So yes the odds are stacked against you.

As for the Pats which i dont really wanna talk about on the Blades thread I do agree that hopefully things will turn for the better. But i dont wanna comment any further about the Pats here as its not proper since we got our own board.

So i heard the Blades get 2 weeks off to clear their heads & what not, hopefully it does its purpose & the kids can come back ready to put there work boots on. After watching the Ice vs Oil Kings last night on Sportsnet & hearing the panel talking about the Memorial Cup Tournament & how the current system is i have to fully agree with Kypreos (however the frick u spell it) when he doesnt agree with the current system in how it is flawed with the host team still being able to take part in the tournament even after a 1st round exit. A exit in the 3rd round isnt such a bad thing but in the 1st 2 rounds it should forfeit the teams right to take part in the tournament cuz it shows your not part of the elite teams.

I did like the idea of adding in the USHL Champion into the tournament instead of the host team. Have all 4 winners going for the cup instead. Or with the profits Hockey Canada & the CHL make from various international events (Subway Series, WJs, Top Prospects Game) put that money towards the 3 League Champions for travel expenses to go into each others buildings for a 1 game series against each.

Something has to change with the current format though cause teams not making it out of the 1st 2 rounds just doesnt make sense to be able to take part in the year end tournament. Pick a venue in a league & the 2 teams in the final get berths into the Memorial Cup makes the most sense. If its not the host team oh well put a better product on the ice. Its like the host of the Grey Cup/Super Bowl ya it would be great if the Home Team was part of the game but oh well if your not a good enough team that year to make it.
    The argument seems to be the Blades put up the money, and did all the work to make it a success. Why should someone else get to play in it. I understand what they are saying and its true. I would like to see the USHL come in and having a true MC playoff system like they used to have. Best of 7 series from the beggining. WHL champion vs USHL champions. Quebec vs Ontario with the 2 winners playing for the Memorial cup. Won't happen though because everything Hockey Canada does is a money grab and they can't make money playing it that way. Its really to bad that a team that was beaten in the 1st round can still win the Memorial cup.

Iconwhl

Well maybe the other argument to it could be that the individual team itself no longer puts up the money the CHL as a group does it they just use a select city as the venue switch every year like they do already with the 3 leagues.

Well maybe the other argument to it could be that the individual team itself no longer puts up the money the CHL as a group does it they just use a select city as the venue switch every year like they do already with the 3 leagues.
    But thats not happening so its not an argument. It would be a good proposal for the future possibly though.

The Victoria Royals are out and I am now officially a Blades fan.

I dont like the USHL idea. it would be a headache to get around there are two different governing bodies there US hockey and Hockey Canada and CHL apparently the import rule is why different than in the CHL. You are only allowed 4 imports that includes Canadian born players. I am not to sure on the overage limit.

What would be nice is having a host venue but not a host team.(ie) if the MC is hosted in the WHL (saskatoon) they would not have the automatic right to be in the tourney. The two league finalists would be in the MC tourney the champion would take the WHL spot and the runner-up would take the HOST spot. The same would follow suit for the OHL and QMJHL

ensuring that the top 4 teams would be in the tourney.
    www.childrenswish.ca

Default Molleken

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Molleken should've been gone after the fiasco couple years ago when they got Schenn. They could've used the picks and prospects they gave up to get talent this year but now their screwed.
    I was actually surprised after the Schenn deal of 2011 that Molleken wasn't ousted. Maybe this will be the last ride for Lorne. If you look at what he gave up for Nathan Burns, that alone threw a wrench into future deals. That 1st round pick could have help land them something a lot stronger offensively if they had been a bit more patient.
    @Wheatiemaniac on twitter.

Default Reality is a *****

but the Blades now have to focus on the Mem Cup. As for all the "we need to change the system, this is an embarrassment," blowhards out there they need to take a step back. Yes, the Blades were swept out of the playoffs. Frankly I was not surprised - nor would I have been surprised if they had won the East or for that matter the WHL title. The season was nothing less than amazing frankly. And Lorne did exactly what he had to: he went all in. From a 2-7 start to a 19 game winning streak (whatever it was) to winning the conference (division?) to getting swept, this team (and I use that term loosely) represented itself quite admirably. To all the "what an embarrassment" tools out there, don't forget that they were as good as any team in the league more nights than not. They will be a solid representative in the Cup and when all is said and done no-one can ask for more.