Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP 2012-2013

Default The Hurricanes

are the only team to miss the playoffs for the last 4 years. All 4 of those years were with RP in charge. Only 3 other teams have even missed 3 out of the last 4 playoffs. Those teams being Regina, Prince George and Seattle.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Which even furthers my point exactly.. But here in Lethbridge stats seem to mean little if nothing, and the community has very little say in what is a community owned team.

As I say, Im not rushing out to get my season tickets for next year until everything unfolds a little. We go to the Coaldale Copperheads games on off nights for the Canes, and for $5.00/ticket the value cannot be beat. I know the Hockey is not nearly as good, but the atmosphere sometimes is downright electric, and you generally always get your $5.00 worth. Hard to justify dropping nearly $1000 for two tickets when we can go watch that hockey at that price and generally speaking we never leave overally disappointed. There have been many nights that have left me in utter disbelief going to watch the Hurricanes.

However I'm sure if you took a straw poll very few people would be surprised if we didn't have Preston for the 2 contractual years he has left.

Quote Originally Posted by lethbridgefan83 View Post
    However I'm sure if you took a straw poll very few people would be surprised if we didn't have Preston for the 2 contractual years he has left.
    I thought Preston only has one year left?

Quote Originally Posted by lethbridgefan83 View Post
    Which even furthers my point exactly.. But here in Lethbridge stats seem to mean little if nothing, and the community has very little say in what is a community owned team.

As I say, Im not rushing out to get my season tickets for next year until everything unfolds a little. We go to the Coaldale Copperheads games on off nights for the Canes, and for $5.00/ticket the value cannot be beat. I know the Hockey is not nearly as good, but the atmosphere sometimes is downright electric, and you generally always get your $5.00 worth. Hard to justify dropping nearly $1000 for two tickets when we can go watch that hockey at that price and generally speaking we never leave overally disappointed. There have been many nights that have left me in utter disbelief going to watch the Hurricanes.

Just fricking awful....How on earth did this happen? We are so screwed. Players will not want to come play here, they have not turned out any decent pro prospects since 2008. Not developoing the players not only hurts in the standings, but the long term effects are more so.

Default Hurricanes not in same category

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    are the only team to miss the playoffs for the last 4 years. All 4 of those years were with RP in charge. Only 3 other teams have even missed 3 out of the last 4 playoffs. Those teams being Regina, Prince George and Seattle.
    You cant keep Prince George or Seattle in the same category as they have less teams in the Western Conference to fight with for playoff spots. Only 2 teams miss the playoffs there each year and so Seattle/Everett seem to get in with less points that some teams in the East.

Seattle made playoffs this year with 57, while Leth has 64. So Prince George and Seattle dont equate in this argument. As Drinnan (Taking Note Blog) was interviewed on the Hurricanes Show one Monday stated, rebuilding can take as long as 5 years if you are starting with not only fresh players, but also a clean organization from GM to Coach.

Just saying ....

Red face ONe year

Preston has one year. Where the confusion comes in that this year was approved two years ago, and next year was approved last year. State of the contract. Additional option years were had to be approved two years in advance.

[QUOTE=2speak4all;189970]You cant keep Prince George or Seattle in the same category as they have less teams in the Western Conference to fight with for playoff spots. Only 2 teams miss the playoffs there each year and so Seattle/Everett seem to get in with less points that some teams in the East. QUOTE]

I am aware that only two teams miss the playoffs in the west. One could argue a western team missing the playoffs for 3 years is worse than an Eastern team missing them for 4 years. That is not the main point in my statement. That info was just used for comparison sakes.

The cold hard truth of my statement remains the same. The Canes are the only team to miss the playoffs for the last 4 years.

Default i;d bet money.........

that one of the only reasons that preston is still around is WHO in the world is going to come to this team as a gm or coach with all the problem it has..the business guy they hired a year or so ago didnt last more than a week after he seen what was going on....the team cant afford to get rid of him and the old farts got no where to go, its a perfect marriage...
    GO CANES GO.................

Quote Originally Posted by 2speak4all View Post
    As Drinnan (Taking Note Blog) was interviewed on the Hurricanes Show one Monday stated, rebuilding can take as long as 5 years if you are starting with not only fresh players, but also a clean organization from GM to Coach. Just saying ....
    I don't disagree with that statement in general. The devil is in the details as they say. It should not take until the 5th year for a WHL team’s improvement to even begin to show. Teams should be going for league championships and such in their 5th year of a rebuild. A team should show some reasonable improvement in their 3rd year and a substantial gain in the 4th year. Then the team should be one of, if not the top teams in the league in the 5th year. So yes, a 5 year rebuild is about right, but not 4 years of virtually no improvement at all and then expect them to win big time in the 5th year. It's not going to happen that way.

The Canes have the following amount of points the last 4 years.

2009/10 ... 48
    2010/11 ... 59
    2011/12 ... 59
    2012/13 ... 66

Yes, on average there is a slight improvement most years but not very much really. Not including tonight’s season ending game, the Canes actually won more games last year than this year (29 – 28). As this is the 4th year of the rebuild, and we have a great goalie this year, the Canes should have won about 15 more games this year than last.

For comparison, here are the Oil King’s points in their 3rd, 4th and 5th year of existence.

2009/10 ... 45
    2010/11 ... 69
    2011/12 .. 107

So yes, the 5 year plan is valid but you need to go to the Memorial Cup like Edmonton did in their 5th year and not just be hoping for a playoff berth in the Cane’s 5th year.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 03-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    I don't disagree with that statement in general. The devil is in the details as they say. It should not take until the 5th year for a WHL team’s improvement to even begin to show. Teams should be going for league championships and such in their 5th year of a rebuild. A team should show some reasonable improvement in their 3rd year and a substantial gain in the 4th year. Then the team should be one of, if not the top teams in the league in the 5th year. So yes, a 5 year rebuild is about right, but not 4 years of virtually no improvement at all and then expect them to win big time in the 5th year. It's not going to happen that way.

The Canes have the following amount of points the last 4 years.

2009/10 ... 48
    2010/11 ... 59
    2011/12 ... 59
    2012/13 ... 66

Yes, on average there is a slight improvement most years but not very much really. Not including tonight’s season ending game, the Canes actually won more games last year than this year (29 – 28). As this is the 4th year of the rebuild, and we have a great goalie this year, the Canes should have won about 15 more games this year than last.

For comparison, here are the Oil King’s points in their 3rd 4th and 5th year of existence.

2009/10 ... 45
    2010/11 ... 69
    2011/12 .. 107

So yes, the 5 year plan is valid but you need to go to the Memorial Cup like Edmonton did in their 5th year and not just be hoping for a playoff berth in the Cane’s 5th year.
    Who is to say we are not going to be that team in the top of the conference next season. We have four returning 19yr olds that we actually drafted. Can you not see all four putting up significant numbers? I get we failed this season but that doesn’t mean we can’t succeed next year. A few upgrades, draft a stellar euro, new coach. We won’t have to depend on three rookie dmen. Why not?