Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: 13-14 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    We should have a top 20-25 import pick. What direction do you think we should go. Big D man or try our luck again with a skilled forward?
    I wouldn't be totally disappointed if the Hurricanes sat back and didn't draft a Euro next year or even have one on the roster. I liked the elder Blomqvist but he seemed to be injury and/or illness prone his entire tenure here. I truly don't feel the younger brother has what it takes for this league. I am still scratching my head over how he was given so many top line minutes.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Hurricanes trade that pick and use the resources they have to maybe acquire another large body up front to replace Hood (I think the team has ample skilled forwards currently), and a 18 year old defenceman with experience on a winning team would be a huge plus.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by canes watcher View Post
    Long Run, you're right, another Ville Kolppanen would be exactly what the team needs.
    Because any goalie the Canes draft would become Kolppanen? Drafting scared or not drafting at all because of a past pick is a poor way to build a team. I remember two euro’s in 07-08 who were key contributors in getting us to the W finals (one a goalie). No matter how you look at it goalie is our biggest weakness next season and beyond.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Let's begin with that kid named Jayce and then toss in Papirny.
    oh please that is a kings ransom for a midget, the kid wont be that amazing once he starts playing with much bigger stronger older players.

Figured that would be the case. Sask will still have a boatload of 20's to unload I would think. They can't all be heading to the pros. Perhaps that would be an avenue to improve our 20's.
    how will they have a boatload of 20yr olds when over half of them will be going pro.... realisticly they will get back prob 5 of them Valcourt, Benoit, Pufahl, Burns & Craig.... no true great 20yr old, but can be quality players all are very big...Thrower, Siemens, Deitz, Sutter, Stransky, McColgan, Makarov will all be going pro next year

Long Run, different management team took Sbisa and Metsola, and both needed coaching when they arrived. But you're right, I should have faith in the Euros this team picks. Or, I could look at what they've done the previous four years and smh.

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    I wouldn't be totally disappointed if the Hurricanes sat back and didn't draft a Euro next year or even have one on the roster. I liked the elder Blomqvist but he seemed to be injury and/or illness prone his entire tenure here. I truly don't feel the younger brother has what it takes for this league. I am still scratching my head over how he was given so many top line minutes..
    I think Preston was just impressed with Axel Blomqvist's size or hidden potential or something. I know they play a different position and are much smaller but what would say Wong or Merkley have turned out to be if given the 1st line minutes Axel got.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default Ola Tiger Trauma.

We don't care if you want to post on our site and discuss the Tigers as they relate to the Canes. The more WHL chat we can have on this site the better. You seem to want to talk hockey and not just berate other posters so have at er.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
    The Canes were definitely not built for this season. Looking at their roster they will hit a peak in 2 years. Next year they should finish around the middle of the pack, It should be the season after where they really hit their stride but goaltending would still be an issue..
    The Canes should have been, and I think were built to make the playoffs this season in our 4th year of a 5 year rebuild. To make a long story short, too many injuries at the exact wrong time to the exact wrong players did us in. When I say make the playoffs, I am thinking of 7th or 8th in the conference, and not much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
    I feel that aquiring Rimmer was a short-term band-aid in attempt to make the playoffs but It failed. Giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 20 year old rental goalie is a high price to pay for not getting into the playoffs. Doing that in a year where your roster isn't setup well for the year is a very dumb move IMO. Perhaps their was pressure from the board? A 2nd and 3rd would be handy for trade bait if needed. Compare that to the Tigers. They aquired an overager goaltender for an 8th round pick with almost identical stats....that was lucky though, and doesnt often happen, as a couple prospects didn't materialize..
    I disagree with your analysis of the Rimmer trade. When that trade was made, and ever since then, I and most Canes fans who know our situation think that was a really good trade. I could go on and on about the reasons that trade was good for the Canes, but I won't. It was worth the 2nd & 3rd round picks and then some.

You guys were lucky to get Lanigan when you did but Lethbridge needed certainty in the net, and not a hope and a prayer.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by canes watcher View Post
    Long Run, different management team took Sbisa and Metsola, and both needed coaching when they arrived. But you're right, I should have faith in the Euros this team picks. Or, I could look at what they've done the previous four years and smh.
    Terrible Euro picks but have gotten better each year in this regime. I think it would be poor to give up on Axel who averaged over .5 points per game as a 17 yr old 6-5 rookie. If they get value for this years pick I don’t care what they do with it. However, if there is a top ranked goalie at the spot we are picking we would be stupid to not jump on it. Bartosak was a mid 50’s pick who has helped RD out tremendously.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    I think Preston was just impressed with Axel Blomqvist's size or hidden potential or something. I know they play a different position and are much smaller but what would say Wong or Merkley have turned out to be if given the 1st line minutes Axel got.
    Love Wong and happy we stole him in the fifth round. I wish Merkley had the spunk and desire that Wong has. He would have far exceeded his third overall pick.

Let's begin with that kid named Jayce and then toss in Papirny.
    Ok, I don't think too many people figure Conrad is better than Hawryluk, #8 put up better stats in AAA on a worse team than Conrad, so at best they're even. Papirny I think is going to be a good one, but you never know in Brandon with goalies, Keystone center appears to be a bit of a graveyard for young tenders!!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.