Page 14 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: 13-14 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    the canes need players that can contribute, . I like derko but match him up against valk and there's no comparison, leader or not next time the hat roles into town with a full boat there will be a difference.....I think the canes have two options here : one, keep that derko type player allow the the team to learn the new systems and teach the the youngster all the traits of a leader : two. pull the trigger, trade some of the overflowing young talent we have and put a few pieces in place that are needed to do well this year and beyond...there's no mystery here, the **** is going to hit the fan if there's no playoff hockey this year and robson knows it.....hence, option two....imo...
    Tai has a sick glove hand. He's the anti Brandon Anderson!
    I was told Olynek has a minor knee sprain and its nothing serious.
    That fan would be huge and that would be a lot of **** but I don't see the Canes on the outside come March.
    I have say that pass by Sayers to Mckechnie for the goal was a beauty!
    Topping also played great and saved two sure goals on the PK with great plays. He's really coming on and there's a lot to like about him.
    Also, Jensen did well in his late game scrap. Victory to him.
    I'd like to see the *****ing end when our player is penalized. Shut up and go to the box. New year, new team, new attitude. Take your medicine. No reason to ***** and get on the wrong side of the officials. Time to change our rep that follows us from year to year.
    Did I say I love Amson? Nemeth is showing well too.
    Henry will be a rock.
    Pilon has been cleared by the doctors. Not a moment too soon. He is the key piece.
    Med Hat may have been missing Shinkaruk and Valk but the Canes were missing Pilon, Erkamps and Hackman. That's arguably 3 of our top 4 D.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    14th overall Evan Fiala has been reassigned and he was chosen 4 spots ahead of Lenchyshyn so there are other first round picks that won't make the opening night squad. Not the end of the world I suppose.
    I was curious about this, so I looked it up: out of the 22 first round picks from the 2012 bantam draft, only three of them are not still in WHL camps. Fiala (#14, Spokane), Lenchyshyn (#18, Lethbridge) and Brennan Riddle (#17, Calgary) are the only ones who have been cut. All three are defencemen.

I would be surprised if #22, goalie Patrick Dea, sticks with Edmonton as he won't get to play much behind Tristan Jarry. So that'll probably be another cut there.

IMO this is not a bad thing, especially for defencemen. If you don't feel you're going to be able to give a kid 40-50 games and 15 minutes or so per game, then playing his 16 year old season in midget where he'll be one of the stars and play 40 games at 25 minutes per game, plus gain experience and confidence, is not a bad decision development-wise. Very few 16 year olds at any position are impact players in the WHL....let the kid play another year in midget and come be an impact player at 17 instead.

Default 16 year old defencemen

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Out of the 22 first round picks from the 2012 bantam draft, only three of them are not still in WHL camps. Fiala (#14, Spokane), Lenchyshyn (#18, Lethbridge) and Brennan Riddle (#17, Calgary) are the only ones who have been cut. All three are defencemen.

IMO this is not a bad thing, especially for defencemen. If you don't feel you're going to be able to give a kid 40-50 games and 15 minutes or so per game, then playing his 16 year old season in midget where he'll be one of the stars and play 40 games at 25 minutes per game, plus gain experience and confidence, is not a bad decision development-wise.
    I agree totally with what you are saying Alan. Lenchyshyn, from a what I read somewhere, is actually going to play in the MJHL. Being one of the top dogs on a team in a very good league with lots of 19 and 20 year old players and getting 25 minutes of ice time will only make Lenchyshyn a much better player next year.

As surprising as it may seem, the Canes have too much depth and will need to make some trades or such to get the 16 and 17 year olds quality ice time. Both the Canes 5th and 6th round picks from 2012 are D-men and they are still in Camp. As such, they have probably outplayed Lenchyshyn at this point.

Pick #103 - Kade Jensen D L 6'2 186 May 3, 1997 Calgary, AB
    Pick #113 - Brandon Kennedy D L 6'0 185 Apr 30, 1997 Delta, BC

With these 2 players still in camp the Canes have 9 D-men on their roster, not including the as yet to play import, Kristian Khenkel (Pronounced HENKEL). Therefor the Hurricanes will still have to move 2 or 3 of these D-men out.

This does not even take into account how much ice time players like Pilon, Erkamps, Hackman and Henry etc are going to eat up. There just is not a lot of room or ice time left for the young kids.

We have been saying it for a long time now, but the Canes future does truly appear to be very bright.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 09-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Remember when the cupboards were so bare that Beach had to be traded for 2 defensemen (Reddington and Oslanski)?
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Default Phelps.......

Phelps must be a no show .............
    GO CANES GO.................

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Tai has a sick glove hand. He's the anti Brandon Anderson!
    Pilon has been cleared by the doctors. Not a moment too soon. He is the key piece.
    Med Hat may have been missing Shinkaruk and Valk but the Canes were missing Pilon, Erkamps and Hackman. That's arguably 3 of our top 4 D.
    You know this is coming.......

Stanton, Becker , Shinkaruk ,Valk ,Doty, Lewington, Jensen, Langhamer, Koules, leier, were missing... All key players. The team you saw was basically next years team...half these guys are still at NHL Main Camps right now.

I think a lot of people will under-estimate your canes, but I like them as the dark-horse of the East this year.

What was wrong with Pilon? did he have another concussion?
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post

Stanton, Becker , Shinkaruk ,Valk ,Doty, Lewington, Jensen, Langhamer, Koules, leier, were missing... All key players. The team you saw was basically next years team...half these guys are still at NHL Main Camps right now.

I think a lot of people will under-estimate your canes, but I like them as the dark-horse of the East this year.

As should always come with preseason results the disclaimer should read that results are meaningless.
    Pilon had been battling mono.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post

We basically had next yrs team on the ice as well. Preseason games are meaningless but you still like to see a good showing. We had some key guys missing as well. Pilon being of the caliber of Shinkaruk and we will have Pilon next season.
    Last edited by here for the long run; 09-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    Phelps must be a no show .............
    All we can hope for is him to show up next year... or this Spring once he has completed high school...

Time for a debate... I'm happy with either solution but what do you folks think??

Most of us here have debated the immediate future of Ramsey, Derko, and Galbraith... but what about the 4th overager?

The reason I bring this up is that the Canes have Tai and Hogue who have put up stellar numbers in the pre-season... the club gives up 30-40+ shots and these two guys still earn the win with a .900+ save percentage!!

Both guys will continue to improve.... Jeff Battah is no doubt a high end goalie coach/teacher to any goalie the Canes keep...

So if... IF... the first 3 guys are only "worth" a 5th round pick or so, but then some team offers the Canes a 1st round pick (or an even better deal, maybe two high draft picks) for Boes, what do you think Robson should do?

Looking at other goalie trades...
    Regina gave up a 4th round pick for a 19 yr old who's yet to play a full season in the WHL, only 7 career games... (Dawson McCauley)
    Kelowna gave up a 3rd round pick for it's backup last season (Jackson Whistle)
    Leth gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for overage Ty Rimmer
    and the most recent big goalie trade...
    PA gave up a 1st AND a 5th round pick for overage Cole Cheveldave

I know a BIG price was paid for Boes but there are a couple teams who need a top goalie at the moment and may make a huge offer...

I'm excited to watch Boes in Leth... but what do you all think?

GO CANES GO
    Last edited by canes77; 09-13-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo