Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: 13-14 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Actually in 2010, didn't the Canes bid for the Mem Cup here in 2013. That would be 3 yrs into a re-building program. Right where we want to be??? Nonsense. The old norm was a 3 yr rebuilding program, now it has moved to five? Please tell Vcr, Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton, Kootney, ah s--t, tell the whole league to get with the five year program.
    Yah the whole mem cup bid was brought up on the media round table to. What a blessing that it is not coming to Lethbridge. Could you imagine having to trade Duke, Pilon, Watson, Wong, Estephan and the like for some 19 yr olds. Good thing for the Canes that the league has it in for community owned teams.

The Canes were definitely not built for this season. Looking at their roster they will hit a peak in 2 years. Next year they should finish around the middle of the pack, It should be the season after where they really hit their stride but goaltending would still be an issue.

I do not like 2 trades the canes made this season.

I feel that aquiring Rimmer was a short-term band-aid in attempt to make the playoffs but It failed. Giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 20 year old rental goalie is a high price to pay for not getting into the playoffs. Doing that in a year where your roster isn't setup well for the year is a very dumb move IMO. Perhaps their was pressure from the board? A 2nd and 3rd would be handy for trade bait if needed.

Compare that to the Tigers. They aquired an overager goaltender for an 8th round pick with almost identical stats....that was lucky though, and doesnt often happen, as a couple prospects didn't materialize.

The Merkley deal, for Derko and a 3rd, I didn't like either.

In 2 years Yakubowski, Maxwell, Mckechnie, Watson, Blomqvist, Duke would make a pretty potent top 6. Getting rid of Merkley lowers that Depth. In 2 years if he's putting up good numbers the canes will miss that. Derko will be long gone, that 3rd round won't be developed yet.

Also you probably could of got Derko next year for a 5th-6th round pick to shore up your 20's, but other players could be available as well.

I do have a question. Who is better on Defense Henry or Simpson? I don't have a lot of info on Henry but to me Simpson seemed a bit slow. Tough yes but a lack of footspeed.

In 2 years the canes have a good crop of overager forwards plus henry and Simpson and it might be wise to sell one for a younger defensive asset next season. But their might be pressure to make the playoffs so they might keep both

The little things add up, and I was a canes fan I'd probably be pissed at those deals. But then again I hope the Canes do something dumb like trade Duke ,Pilon, Watson for picks.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Default Canes pick 6th

nm, started new thread
    Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
    The Canes were definitely not built for this season. Looking at their roster they will hit a peak in 2 years. Next year they should finish around the middle of the pack, It should be the season after where they really hit their stride but goaltending would still be an issue.

I do not like 2 trades the canes made this season.

I feel that aquiring Rimmer was a short-term band-aid in attempt to make the playoffs but It failed. Giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 20 year old rental goalie is a high price to pay for not getting into the playoffs. Doing that in a year where your roster isn't setup well for the year is a very dumb move IMO. Perhaps their was pressure from the board? A 2nd and 3rd would be handy for trade bait if needed.

Compare that to the Tigers. They aquired an overager goaltender for an 8th round pick with almost identical stats....that was lucky though, and doesnt often happen, as a couple prospects didn't materialize.

The Merkley deal, for Derko and a 3rd, I didn't like either.

In 2 years Yakubowski, Maxwell, Mckechnie, Watson, Blomqvist, Duke would make a pretty potent top 6. Getting rid of Merkley lowers that Depth. In 2 years if he's putting up good numbers the canes will miss that. Derko will be long gone, that 3rd round won't be developed yet.

Also you probably could of got Derko next year for a 5th-6th round pick to shore up your 20's, but other players could be available as well.

I do have a question. Who is better on Defense Henry or Simpson? I don't have a lot of info on Henry but to me Simpson seemed a bit slow. Tough yes but a lack of footspeed.

In 2 years the canes have a good crop of overager forwards plus henry and Simpson and it might be wise to sell one for a younger defensive asset next season. But their might be pressure to make the playoffs so they might keep both

The little things add up, and I was a canes fan I'd probably be pissed at those deals. But then again I hope the Canes do something dumb like trade Duke ,Pilon, Watson for picks.
    In two years Merkley would still be a third liner. Not fair to him or the Canes. We can solve our tender situation with a Euro pick this season. If your top 6 prediction pans out we still have to slot in Wong, Giorgio, Olynek, possibly Conrad and other picks that might impress. If anything I think we need to trade another 95 born to make room. We have a lot of picks including Moose Jaws 2nd for Braes that makes the Rimmer trade sting less. I do think this is the last season you see us in your rear view mirror.

Default I agree

that Merkley was not going to work here. I for one actually really like watching Derko play and feel he will be a big contributor next season. He just needs to watch his time in the box a lot better. Merkley needed to move on and while he didn't seem to do any better in SC this season I do wish him well and hope his game improves next season. I still think he is destined to be a third-liner and you can't blame the coach for that.

I am also not convinced that a Euro goalie is a sure thing. While Metsola proved a rare find, Kolpannen was a disappointment. I like the way Christopher Tai plays. I appreciate his commitment to learning the way he did this season and feel he deserves a chance to take a run at the starting goaltenders position next season. With what has to be (hopefully) a stronger defensive corps in front of him, I think we might be okay in that area.

As for the comparison between Simpson and Henry, I have to give the edge to Henry. Simpson is pretty quiet out there whereas you always seem to notice Henry when he is on the ice. If I felt I was unsure of a trade, the Simpson deal would be it. I hope that Simpson comes into camp next fall happy to be a Hurricane and giving it all he's got.

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    In two years Merkley would still be a third liner. Not fair to him or the Canes. We can solve our tender situation with a Euro pick this season. If your top 6 prediction pans out we still have to slot in Wong, Giorgio, Olynek, possibly Conrad and other picks that might impress. If anything I think we need to trade another 95 born to make room. We have a lot of picks including Moose Jaws 2nd for Braes that makes the Rimmer trade sting less. I do think this is the last season you see us in your rear view mirror.

An 18 euro goaltender that is just drafted would probably be a good pick if their is one available, that way he is still their the following season. They can be hit or miss though. The canes should probably also look at drafting a good goalie in this years bantam draft to replace him after that if their isn't any high quality goalie prospects.

I admit I don't have a good read on Merkley so maybe I'm overvaluing him, but he was scoring goals for Lethbridge before they traded him. I still find it hard to believe that a guy who scored 12 goals as a 16 year old and was on pace to score 22 in his 17 year old year before the trade, won't be a factor by the time he is 19....Although I did hear that he had lazy tendencies, and sometimes things don't work out.

Their have been multiple Tigers who have had slow 17 year old years points-wise, then turn on the jets in the second half of their 18 year old year...Curtis Valk, Boston Leier, are 2 recent ones that come to mind. Actually Valk didn't score in his 18 year old year until November.

What kind of player is Leverton? 3 assists in the last half of the season don't look like very good numbers.
    ---------

The Tigers next season should have a really good team. The only real loss that will hurt is pearce, but the Tigers have 5 young guys who would be more than 4th line players on most teams. If Valk comes back I strongly think they have quite a few pieces of the puzzle to be a contender.

Sorry with all this tiger talk. Just trying to compare the two teams to broaden my understanding of the Hurricanes systems.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    that Merkley was not going to work here. I for one actually really like watching Derko play and feel he will be a big contributor next season. He just needs to watch his time in the box a lot better. Merkley needed to move on and while he didn't seem to do any better in SC this season I do wish him well and hope his game improves next season. I still think he is destined to be a third-liner and you can't blame the coach for that.

I am also not convinced that a Euro goalie is a sure thing. While Metsola proved a rare find, Kolpannen was a disappointment. I like the way Christopher Tai plays. I appreciate his commitment to learning the way he did this season and feel he deserves a chance to take a run at the starting goaltenders position next season. With what has to be (hopefully) a stronger defensive corps in front of him, I think we might be okay in that area.

As for the comparison between Simpson and Henry, I have to give the edge to Henry. Simpson is pretty quiet out there whereas you always seem to notice Henry when he is on the ice. If I felt I was unsure of a trade, the Simpson deal would be it. I hope that Simpson comes into camp next fall happy to be a Hurricane and giving it all he's got.
    We should have a top 20-25 import pick. What direction do you think we should go. Big D man or try our luck again with a skilled forward?

What is a realistic price tag for Colt Conrad? What (if anything) do the Wheaties have (picks and/or players) that you would consider trading for Conrad?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Long Run, you're right, another Ville Kolppanen would be exactly what the team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    What is a realistic price tag for Colt Conrad? What (if anything) do the Wheaties have (picks and/or players) that you would consider trading for Conrad?
    Let's begin with that kid named Jayce and then toss in Papirny.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!