Page 62 of 110 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast

Thread: 13-14 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    I'm not so sure I agree with you. Jamal Watson's situation alone would prove you to be wrong. Another example is Nick Merkley playing with Kelowna. Do you really think he would have numbers like this playing with the Canes ... 37 11 20 31 +9 ... not a snowballs chance.

Do you not think Duke and others would be rated far higher if they played for Kelowna or Portland or Calgary.
    I am not suggesting that Duke's stats would not be better if he were on a top-place team. I think there would be a very good chance of that although there are exceptions to the rule as pointed out by Localguy. It is also likely that should Nick Merkley be playing on this team, he wouldn't have quite the points he does now. But I think that lends credence to my point. The fact that Duke does not have those numbers but still managed land at 65 in the ratings just goes to show that those doing the ranking realize that even given the fact that the Hurricanes are not making waves as a team, he is being noticed for his potential and work ethic.

As far as Watson is concerned I was far from impressed with him last season. Yes he is a fast skater but that isn't enough to make you a future NHLer. How often would he fly the puck down the side and then realize he was out of ice and have to go in behind the net and never get the shot off? He has certainly improved on that this season although it seems at time his speed is still far superior to his skill. When these two talents meet at the same level, Watson could be a bonafide star.

Default Hurricanes

I am a Hurricane fan, great comments.

I agree with Hurricane Rock, if Watson was on a top 10 team he would put up better numbers then in turn he would have a better chance of getting drafted. If Duke is on a better team he plays in the Top Prospect Game and he would be a first round selection. Brody Sutter was the last drafted Hurricane player and he was drafted in the 7th round. If he was on Calgary, Edmonton or Kelowna he gets drafted 3rd or 4th round. 6'5 centre man that can shoot the puck. Just look at Jay Merkley now he is playing very well in Swift Current enjoying a great season he will be a 50 point player this year...good chance he might get drafted in swift Current.

Default Hi Cane Train.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Train View Post
    I agree with Hurricane Rock, if Watson was on a top 10 team he would put up better numbers then in turn he would have a better chance of getting drafted. If Duke is on a better team he plays in the Top Prospect Game and he would be a first round selection. Brody Sutter was the last drafted Hurricane player and he was drafted in the 7th round. If he was on Calgary, Edmonton or Kelowna he gets drafted 3rd or 4th round. 6'5 centre man that can shoot the puck. Just look at Jay Merkley now he is playing very well in Swift Current enjoying a great season he will be a 50 point player this year...good chance he might get drafted in swift Current.
    Hello Cane Train. Welcome to the WHL.Fans chat site. I do not only welcome you because you agree with what I said....hehe, but it is always nice to hear other peoples opinions and such as it relates to the Hurricanes.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default Hurricanes are first!

The Hurricanes are first in the central division. We have over 10,000 posts on this WHLfans site. Next is Red Deer with just over 7900! Hey... we have to be first at something besides futility!

Default kind of a sad thing to be first at...............

but we get your point..........
    GO CANES GO.................

Has anyone seen J Merkley stats. wow Gp 48 - G21 -A21- Pts 42 why did the Hurricanes trade him? Next year he will be a 70 - 80 point guy for sure. If the Hurricanes did not trade him going into next year we would have <Merkley,Watson, Duke, Wong, Estphan,Cooper up front>...that was a terrible trade Merkley for Derko. What are your opinions?

Default Merkley

Cane Train, the Merkley trade was a good one at the time given the fact that there was some major attitude issues going on. He was a negative factor in the dressing room. The fact that he is piling up the points now is good for both Swift Current and himself. It is impossible to say that he would have had an attitude adjustment had he stayed here or that his production would have amounted to nearly a point per game. Given the troubles of the Hurricanes particularly this season it is highly unlikely that he would be on a similar pace here. It is unreasonable to assume as much.

Just look at Jay Merkley now he is playing very well in Swift Current enjoying a great season he will be a 50 point player this year...good chance he might get drafted in swift Current.
    The way Merkley has been playing lately he is going to get close to 72 points, or about a point per game, with around 30 to 35 goals! Right now he has 21g + 21a for 42 points in 48 games. He however has been getting better as the year goes on for Speedy Creek. Jay has 13 points (7g - 6a) in his last 11 games. He has also improved his plus/minus from a minus 5 to a plus 2 in that last little while.

Long story short ... this is just another HUGE MISS by the Canes.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 01-21-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    Cane Train, the Merkley trade was a good one at the time given the fact that there was some major attitude issues going on. He was a negative factor in the dressing room. The fact that he is piling up the points now is good for both Swift Current and himself. It is impossible to say that he would have had an attitude adjustment had he stayed here or that his production would have amounted to nearly a point per game. Given the troubles of the Hurricanes particularly this season it is highly unlikely that he would be on a similar pace here. It is unreasonable to assume as much.
    There are many factors to be considered when determining individual and team success. Teams generally become successful when their player development and ability to teach players what their roles are and how to play their individual positions within their roles, is strong! It would seem that there must be some type of problem within the Canes franchise as many very good players have decided that their development would be impeded if they were to stay with the Canes. It would appear that maybe they were right, as this team should be realizing at least some positive results at this stage of the season, yet it appears that not a whole lot has changed since day one? Either the system this coach is using, is flawed or his ability to teach it is just simply not there or both. Last night vs PG was an interesting game to watch, first period, the Canes seemed to be able to match the energy of the PG team, then, after the 1st intermission, the PG coaching staff must have made some un-matched adjustments that totally allowed them to dominate the remaining 40 mins of that game! We have some very good "individual" players on this team that are able to produce as individuals once and a while but it would appear that there really isn't much of a team game as they looks totally lost in most game situations other than the individual rushes from time to time. Players in this league want to get better, they want to learn and they want to compete within a system that will give them at least a chance to win on any given night? Just wondering why this coach never takes any responsibility or accountability for at least some of the losses this year, it is always a deflection toward the players that they deviate from game plans or do not execute team systems correctly? Personally, I believe that this team is much much better than they appear and are under achieving on an epic scale!!! It is really no wonder why good players defect from this team...