Page 92 of 110 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 ... LastLast

Thread: 13-14 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    A fly in the ointment for Kootenay is that they are I believe in year 2 of a 10 year lease on their building with the city of Cranbrook. I guess the question is will the citizens of Cranbrook get bent over like those in Abbotsford to break the lease or will Chenowyth have to pay to get out. The Flames "debt" to the citizens of Abbotsford is reportedly in the range of 12 mil. Abbotsford council made a deal with the Flames to cover the Heat losses for 10 years. Stupid is, and stupid does.
    They signed a 15 year deal, I believe was in January 2009, but would expect they have an out clause should their ticket sales drop below a threshold or (highly doubt) an alternative of sales quarantees from the City of Cranbrook to make up the shortfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Torro View Post
    They signed a 15 year deal, I believe was in January 2009, but would expect they have an out clause should their ticket sales drop below a threshold or (highly doubt) an alternative of sales quarantees from the City of Cranbrook to make up the shortfall.
    Thanks. I guess they could be just as dumb in Kootenay as they were in Abbotsford. Same province.

Thanks. I guess they could be just as dumb in Kootenay as they were in Abbotsford. Same province.
    More interesting chatter from drinnan's blog.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2014/04/...s-begin.html:D

Default the poop's gonna be flighting ....................

up until the end of the season or the league announces something legit, still curious whether freds doomsday report for the canes by may 1 will come to fruition..i believe the cranbrook story without doubt..but would love conformation about whether the whl can sell this team away from our city due to it being a franchise that is owned by the league..was told by more than a few people that franchises can be striped from it owner if the corporate office see fit for being improperly run(performance/ finances).....there had to be some kind of proof instead everyone just saying yay or nay.....time will tell.....
    flying is the word I was going for..................
    Last edited by shushu; 04-21-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    GO CANES GO.................

Default a few facts..................

this is what i'm talking about.........

Corporate Governance

There is no substitute for good corporate governance. Even small companies with few shareholders are better served by good governance practices. Instead of trying to anticipate every possible future event or trying to be overly prescriptive, a structure that ensures the installation of an experienced board of directors is arguably the best approach. Why? Because directors are responsible to the company - NOT to the shareholders as is commonly thought. If directors add diligently with this mandate, many problems that arise can be solved.

the league could sell this team away without any consent from anyone.....interesting.......

http://www.sfu.ca/~mvolker/biz/agree.htm

freds may 1 could be a reality.................
    Last edited by shushu; 04-19-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    this is what i'm talking about.........

Corporate Governance

There is no substitute for good corporate governance. Even small companies with few shareholders are better served by good governance practices. Instead of trying to anticipate every possible future event or trying to be overly prescriptive, a structure that ensures the installation of an experienced board of directors is arguably the best approach. Why? Because directors are responsible to the company - NOT to the shareholders as is commonly thought. If directors add diligently with this mandate, many problems that arise can be solved.

the league could sell this team away without any consent from anyone.....interesting.......

http://www.sfu.ca/~mvolker/biz/agree.htm

freds may 1 could a reality.................
    Good Article. I think the Canes are a different breed of cat than a regular corporate entity. The Canes are under some regulation (societies act?) that they are not required to make money. In fact if they make money year after year they are required to disperse some or most of it to charitable organizations or others, such as minor hockey. This is why for years we have heard about their donations to organizations and other in the City. This is a different beast than the 9-5 normal profit driven incorporated business. Waiting breathlessly for Freddie May 1st scoop.

7. Default

Good Article. I think the Canes are a different breed of cat than a regular corporate entity. The Canes are under some regulation (societies act?) that they are not required to make money. In fact if they make money year after year they are required to disperse some or most of it to charitable organizations or others, such as minor hockey. This is why for years we have heard about their donations to organizations and other in the City. This is a different beast than the 9-5 normal profit driven incorporated business. Waiting breathlessly for Freddie May 1st scoop.
    Why would the league care what type of ownership teams are (private vs community)? The league wants teams to be self-sustaining, competitive and be able to develop young talent. We have failed on all accounts. Unless this City wants to bail out the team (sell more shares, fundraise, sell more season tickets etc.) I see no way how the league doesn’t step in soon or sometime next season. Might as well step in now instead of early/mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    Why would the league care what type of ownership teams are (private vs community)? The league wants teams to be self-sustaining, competitive and be able to develop young talent. We have failed on all accounts. Unless this City wants to bail out the team (sell more shares, fundraise, sell more season tickets etc.) I see no way how the league doesn’t step in soon or sometime next season. Might as well step in now instead of early/mid-season.
    They care very much. The community based teams are the poor cousins of the league and a pain in the a$$ Google some of the owners of the teams and see their status. Recently Pr. Geo was purchased by a group including Dan Hamhuis and Eric Brewer. Kamploops has Tom Gagliardi (owns Dallas Stars) with Iginla, Rechi and Sydor as company, Hitmen owned by the Flames, Oil Kings by the Oilers. We are talking owners with millions if not hundreds of millions to play with. We have to survive while they use their loses as tax write offs. Have some fun, go to capgeek.com and start punching in the NHL players who have interests in Junior Hockey Clubs. Very educational. The City does not need to bail out this team. The league and their owners can bail it out.

9. Default

They care very much. The community based teams are the poor cousins of the league and a pain in the a$$ Google some of the owners of the teams and see their status. Recently Pr. Geo was purchased by a group including Dan Hamhuis and Eric Brewer. Kamploops has Tom Gagliardi (owns Dallas Stars) with Iginla, Rechi and Sydor as company, Hitmen owned by the Flames, Oil Kings by the Oilers. We are talking owners with millions if not hundreds of millions to play with. We have to survive while they use their loses as tax write offs. Have some fun, go to capgeek.com and start punching in the NHL players who have interests in Junior Hockey Clubs. Very educational. The City does not need to bail out this team. The league and their owners can bail it out.
    OK. You gave examples of teams that are self-sustaining, competitive and able to develop young talent. Hope this City gets a rich owner who can through money at the team (for tax purposes) to be competitive year in and out.
    If this community owned team filled the newly renovated 5400 plus arena. Was capable of developing two top twenty picks (Like Zack and Luka) and made it to the W finals. I don’t think they would care that we were community owned. Just my opinion.

Default has anyone...................

been contacted about season ticket. I find it funny no ads on the tube or the radio about buying season tickets, especially from a cash strapped team....from what ive heard regina has been sold, pg has been sold and kootenay is on the move ( office staffs last day is the 29 of this month). sure sounds like the league is starting to clean house on its troubled franchises, with attendance being down across the league maybe it time to do something about that...............
    Last edited by shushu; 04-22-2014 at 11:34 PM.