Thread: 2013 Bantam Draft

Iconcup 2013 Bantam Draft

The draft is a week from today and we have the 14th pick. So what is our greatest need forward or defense? Or the best player available which is my preference. This a deep draft and there is a player who played for the Calgary Northstar Sabres by the name of Parker Aucoin here are his stats.
    11 F Aucoin, Parker Calgary Northstar Sabres 33 games 63 G 24 A 87 Pts
    This player could be around when we pick and would meet a lot of our needs nice skill set an Alberta boy and someone who will be a offensive force in the Dub.

Looking a few years down the road, I think they will likely go with a blueliner, unless a REALLY good forward is available still when they pick. Bleackley will be a seasoned veteran, and Musil, Mpofu and Pawlenchuk will all likely be starting their sophomore seasons when this selection is eligible to play.

Aucoin made quite an impression during the Bantam all star game in Red Deer when he shattered the glass with a wrist shot during warm ups, what a way to get noticed. He can shoot/ score like a son of a gun, but has an akward stride. Noticed yesterday at the AB cup that that stride won him two puck races which lead to breakaways. You can't teach the kind of goal scoring ability he has. I say it is 50/ 50, or little less that he is still around at 14.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Looking a few years down the road, I think they will likely go with a blueliner, unless a REALLY good forward is available still when they pick. Bleackley will be a seasoned veteran, and Musil, Mpofu and Pawlenchuk will all likely be starting their sophomore seasons when this selection is eligible to play.
    Not sure about the quality of D-Men after Clague, Fabbro, and Quennville who will all be gone by the time we pick. So I think they will go for a forward and try to find a Fleury type defenceman in the second round. If you like the good information on the draft follow Allan Caldwell's blog on draft day.

Here are some draft rankings from the pipeline show.
    http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...outs.html#more

Wow and we leave a lot on the table to take Jeff DeWitt hope he is a gem.

With the #14 pick, Red Deer goes local:

Jeffrey DeWit - F, 6'2", 170 lb GP G A Pts PIM
    Red Deer Rebels Black (AMBHL AAA bantam) 26 18 24 42 30

#36, Red Deer:
    Josh Mahura - D, 6'0", 158 lb GP G A Pts PIM
    St. Albert Sabres (AMBHL AAA bantam) 25 9 13 22 51
    St. Albert Sabres (St. Albert AAA bantam trnmt) 5 0 7 7 10
    St. Albert Flyers (AMMHL minor midget AAA) 9 1 2 3 6
    Northwest (Alberta Cup) 5 0 2 2 09
    (I like this pick Josh was ranked in the upper half of the 1st round on some scouting sites)

Took this off Allan Caldwells blog.
    Last edited by Red celtic; 05-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.

With the 70th pick RD goes with Caleb Riess 5' 11" 152 lbs
    GP 25 G 26 A 30 PTS 56 Pims 14

Quote Originally Posted by Red celtic View Post
    Wow and we leave a lot on the table to take Jeff DeWitt hope he is a gem.
    Hopefully the scouts know what they are talking about as the next pick in the draft was Aucoin! I know this kid is a RD kid, but Aucoin put up huge numbers hopefully a few years down the road we aren't saying....sure wish we would have taken Aucoin!