Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    How big (small) is Quennville? His brother is huge, so there's hope the younger one may grow!
    http://www.rodpedersen.com/2013/05/2...ock-draft.html
    Quenneville is listed at 5'8" and 170lbs according to this Pedersen link.

A lot of guys are at their peak height at 14-15 years old... but I just noticed...

Taking a quick glance at the 92's in the 2007 draft (since I have an old scouts list for that year)... Graham Hood was listed at 6'0, 160 lbs when he was drafted, Dan Johnston was 5'10, 167 lbs, Emerson Etem was 5'9, Adam Kambeitz was 5'8, and Brendan Gallagher was 5'3, 125 lbs!!

Lethbridge trades for Corbin Boes to start off the draft.

Default Where to start?

Surprised, bewildered, dissapointed, not sure what to say really. I will let some Brandon fans have their say first. Before this mornings big trade some Wheaties fans were speculating on this very trade, but like me, they never thought it would happen. Here are some Brandon fans comments before the trade.

"What would it take to access Lethbridges #6 pick? TOO MUCH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE"

"Agreed, the Hurricanes will want too much to exchange picks with them--their 6 for our 17 plus assets."

"Can't see the Hurricanes giving up the #6 pick because all the talk is this could be one of the best drafts in a long time. Thus, the #6 pick could potentially be a franchise player. It would cost the WKings a boatload to make that move. Too much in my opinion."

I guess all those fans had it wrong. It hardly cost Brandon much at all in their scheme of things. That`s I all can say....for now!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default big deal............

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Surprised, bewildered, dissapointed, not sure what to say really. I will let some Brandon fans have their say first. Before this mornings big trade some Wheaties fans were speculating on this very trade, but like me, they never thought it would happen. Here are some Brandon fans comments before the trade.

"What would it take to access Lethbridges #6 pick? TOO MUCH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE"

"Agreed, the Hurricanes will want too much to exchange picks with them--their 6 for our 17 plus assets."

"Can't see the Hurricanes giving up the #6 pick because all the talk is this could be one of the best drafts in a long time. Thus, the #6 pick could potentially be a franchise player. It would cost the WKings a boatload to make that move. Too much in my opinion."

I guess all those fans had it wrong. It hardly cost Brandon much at all in their scheme of things. That`s I all can say....for now!
    we get our # 1 goalie this year our #1 goalie of the future ( and the #1 goalie of the the draft ) without having to give up any players or pick down the road...like i said on the white board one player aint getting you to the mem cup, this allow us to have another solid draft next year without having to pay through the nose like we did for rimmer..
    GO CANES GO.................

It looks like a fairly stupid, shortsighted trade but why expect anything to change when you fire one bozo and replace him with his assistant bozo.

Sure things could change but if things work out like people should expect them to right now that looks like a horrible, pointless trade.

Default do you really think...........

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    It looks like a fairly stupid, shortsighted trade but why expect anything to change when you fire one bozo and replace him with his assistant bozo.

Sure things could change but if things work out like people should expect them to right now that looks like a horrible, pointless trade.
    that one player would make that much differance down the road, or i would make more sence to trade our 2nd and 3rd pick next year for a one year goalie we gave up the number one dman for the number one goalie.....like i said big deal...............
    GO CANES GO.................

Default My take on this deal.

The Bantam draft is always a crapshoot (Jay Merkley ring a bell) but it seems Clague is as sure fire a bet as they come. Goalies in the Bantam draft are not just a crap shoot, they are a long shot at best.

I have to wonder if Robson knew Clague was still there at #6, does he make this deal without getting more from Brandon. Robson all along has said and I quote “the top 4 players in this draft are locked up tight and there will be no movement there etc.” He did not say which 4 players those were but the overwhelming consensus was, in no particular order; Benson, Steel, Clague and Patrick. After those top 4 there was a bit of a drop off, so Robson assumed at #6 we would get a really good player, but not a great player. With that reasoning this trade makes a bit more sense. I think if he knew Clague was there for the taking at #6, this deal does not get made unless we get quite a bit more from the Wheaties!

Robson said the deal was done yesterday. Another thought I have is was it not possible to make a tentative deal that sees this trade go down only after the Canes see who is available at #6. I am sure that was part of the discussion, but Kelly M (being the master trader he seems to be) probably said yesterday to Robson, take it or leave now or no deal. If you don’t think scenarios like this occur, you have never been in a real horse trade.

Let’s hope Boes has a stellar year, the Canes finish about mid pack in the East in 2013-14 and Skinner turns out to be an All-star goaltender. If so, then it really does not matter how good Clague is.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 05-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Your GM did very well today. Be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    that one player would make that much differance down the road, or i would make more sence to trade our 2nd and 3rd pick next year for a one year goalie we gave up the number one dman for the number one goalie.....like i said big deal...............
    He is an average goaltender, but has a lot of experience. If I am a Lethbridge fan, I would be hoping for a little more of a return, but as a Red Deer fan, I do see the point of moving down a little in the draft. If you pick a top-5 'phenom' player (like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for example) between international tournaments and such, realistically there is a good chance that you get a season and a half out of them before they are drafted and are off to the NHL.

The trade value for an average overage goaltender is extremely low, and they are often picked up in the offseason for a 5th or 6th round pick, but could end up looking pretty good if he thrives in Lethbridge like Rimmer did last season.