Thread: Where things went wrong

Default Where things went wrong

I am curious to know others thoughts on the season that was and what should have been.

Here is my list of major mistakes. There is more but these were the key ones that come to mind.

1. Trading for Walker - Walker is a great guy and a good player but he is not what the team needed.

2. Stripping the C - Stripping the C from a 4 yr Blade and handing it to the new guy and allowing him to pick his alternates is mind boggling at best going into a HUGE year for the club.

3. Trading for Adam Kambeitz - How do you trade a promising 17 yr old (stockl) and a 3rd only to turn around 3 months later and trade him for a 3rd. 3 months of Kambeitz cost a promising 17 yr old.

4. Release of Cox - Mistake 3 led to this mistake and would prove to be costly. Cox would have put up more points from the blue line this season than Kambeitz did all of his career damn near (slightly extreme but you get the point.) One of the biggest issues for the Blades was lack of production from the point aside from Dietz. Cox developed into a good passing dman over the past 2 seasons and would have helped a great deal. BIGGEST MISTAKE IMO is #3 and #4 combined.

5. Burns trade - Love the aquisition of Burns. Just overpaid.

6. Gwinner trade - How do you give up a 5th round pick for a guy and no play him. When he did play he put up points. No wonder the kid was upset over sitting in the stands. He is having the last laugh now though isnt he. Lorne messed this one up big time.

7. Valcourt - Much like walker very nice guy and a good player but not what was needed. How many big tough guys do you need. 1 or 2 tops. You need guys that can put the puck in the net. Gross overpayment too unless they can get a big return for him in offseason.

8. Ferland - Well much like Schenn just didn't pan out to what anyone expected. Did contribute at times but underachieved and it really brought it to the front in the tie breaker game when the team is down and he spends half a period trying to get the other teams meathead to go instead of trying to put the puck in the net. Ask him once or twice....he declines move on. Don't keep trying as obviously it isn't happening.

In the end the personel decisions are made by Lorne and much like previous years he gets an F. His apparent inability to adapt in game to other teams play also gets him an F in coaching.
    Last edited by auch07; 05-25-2013 at 04:30 PM.

I think it started with the wrong person hired as GM and Coach

Quote Originally Posted by auch07 View Post
    I am curious to know others thoughts on the season that was and what should have been.

Here is my list of major mistakes. There is more but these were the key ones that come to mind.

1. Trading for Walker - Walker is a great guy and a good player but he is not what the team needed.

2. Stripping the C - Stripping the C from a 4 yr Blade and handing it to the new guy and allowing him to pick his alternates is mind boggling at best going into a HUGE year for the club.

3. Trading for Adam Kambeitz - How do you trade a promising 17 yr old (stockl) and a 3rd only to turn around 3 months later and trade him for a 3rd. 3 months of Kambeitz cost a promising 17 yr old.

4. Release of Cox - Mistake 3 led to this mistake and would prove to be costly. Cox would have put up more points from the blue line this season than Kambeitz did all of his career damn near (slightly extreme but you get the point.) One of the biggest issues for the Blades was lack of production from the point aside from Dietz. Cox developed into a good passing dman over the past 2 seasons and would have helped a great deal. BIGGEST MISTAKE IMO is #3 and #4 combined.

6. Gwinner trade - How do you give up a 5th round pick for a guy and no play him. When he did play he put up points. No wonder the kid was upset over sitting in the stands. He is having the last laugh now though isnt he. Lorne messed this one up big time.

7. Valcourt - Much like walker very nice guy and a good player but not what was needed. How many big tough guys do you need. 1 or 2 tops. You need guys that can put the puck in the net. Gross overpayment too unless they can get a big return for him in offseason.

8. Ferland - Well much like Schenn just didn't pan out to what anyone expected. Did contribute at times but underachieved and it really brought it to the front in the tie breaker game when the team is down and he spends half a period trying to get the other teams meathead to go instead of trying to put the puck in the net. Ask him once or twice....he declines move on. Don't keep trying as obviously it isn't happening.

In the end the personel decisions are made by Lorne and much like previous years he gets an F. His apparent inability to adapt in game to other teams play also gets him an F in coaching.
    Agree with everything. I think taking the C off Siemens was more than a mistake. It was the one of the worst coaching/GM decisions I have ever seen. And the way it was done is another story. But something happened a couple years ago that also was a mistake. Lorne hired his brother as the director of player personal. Now you have 2 minds that think if your not at least 6 feet tall and weigh 200 lbs you can't play. They turned this team into a train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by auch07 View Post

So.... Everything?

The funny thing is the Blades didn't really have that elite forward on their team. When Brandon hosted it we had 2 high draft picks up front in Schenn and Glennie and we went out and got Hamonic as well.

I was a bit shocked they didn't try and get a Lowry or McNeil. I thought they did a good job with the supporting cast but there wasn't that one guy. How good a team would it have been with Lowry/McNeil/Stransky and Ferland/Walker/Nichols as the top 2?

I am wondering if no one wanted to do the Blades a favor though. Sure seems like it. Even KM took Lorne tot he woodshed and beat him with the trades. To think next bantam draft we could possibly have the number overall pick.

The reality is if the WHL doesn't do what the OHL and QMJHL do and allow teams to load up(fyi Halifax loaded up when the got both the number 1 and number 2 overall picks in the draft with Mackinnon and Drouin). Also the Bantam draft really hurts teams. Both the OHL and Q have 15 year old drafts while the WHL has a 14 year old draft. This allows teams to be really bad one year and "load up" on 1sts and 2nds so they can be really good quicker.

Consider the Wheat Kings. We really suffered this year. 3 years after we hosted it. You guys might suffer next year but you could up end up suffering for several more years after.

The WHL allows the teams to load up, however the individual team have an entirely different mentality than their OHL and QMJHL counterparts. A player like Lowry would be worth a couple of 2nd and a prospect in the east, but in the WHL teams are looking for multiple 1st rounders and a few top prospects. I don't think Saskatoon could have done a lot more to add better players than they did this season.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    The WHL allows the teams to load up, however the individual team have an entirely different mentality than their OHL and QMJHL counterparts. A player like Lowry would be worth a couple of 2nd and a prospect in the east, but in the WHL teams are looking for multiple 1st rounders and a few top prospects. I don't think Saskatoon could have done a lot more to add better players than they did this season.
    This is so true, out here in the WHL its every team for themselves & screw the league as a whole but when u look at the OHL for example they look out for the league first. They help each other out to try to win that Memorial Cup Title.

Ever since the Schenn/Eakin trade the WHL has been getting stupider when it comes to trades. I do agree though that alot of it has to do with the age we draft players at, when ur drafting a 14yr old there is alot more doubt then when drafting a 15yr old who can step in right away.

I think the WHL as a whole has to change the way things are done, we havent even really contended for the Memorial Cup now since 2008 when Spokane won it. Even when Brandon was in the Final they had no hope in hell at beating Windsor they were loaded to the nuts & the final score showed it. I dont see a WHL team winning the Memorial Cup anytime soon either, we just dont get that true powerhouse from top to bottom, every top team always seems to have somewhat of a hole to fill.

Theres alot more parity within our league compared to the others though, which from a fans perspective is great as any night your team is capable of winning even against the top teams. (ha gives my pats a chance some nights lmao)