Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Offseason thread

I was at Fri on ice session but not Sat. Will be at tomorrows. I was impressed with a lot of the 97s. The 3 96s on the roster (Brooks, Ortynski, Mumby) may all have to work very hard to keep a spot. I think Fulton and Reagan could push Mumby out. IMO Kallis is very steady, not showy but dependable. For forwards Wagner has the shot both very accurate and heavy. Kroeker is a lock to get to main camp as is McAmmond. IMO McAmmond made the most improvement from last year, very good hockey IQ, good shot. When you add the other 96s Dane Schoiler, Eric Donald ?? and Nicolas Koberstein and training camp will be a competition. The 98s Steel and Smith and Freadrich looked like the cream.
    If anyone else was at the sessions would like to hear their opinions as well.

Default The more I read.....

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    A lot of breakout drills & learning how Cameron wants to play hockey. If anyone had taken in any of the Pats practices in the last 2 yrs things have changed a lot. Even tho Cameron always ran practices with Conacher off to the side & doing other coaching with the players you can tell it was exactly how the Pats played on the ice with a lot of chip drills. This year so far I believe there has been about 8 different drills Cameron is working on with them & only 1 drill has there been any chipping. Which is nice to see from a fans perspective.
    The more I read, the more I hope that Conacher is not the Canes next head coach. Sounds too much like Preston. Preston basically ran the same practice over and over. We need a young up and coming coach who can help the players grow with a lot of new ideas etc.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    The more I read, the more I hope that Conacher is not the Canes next head coach. Sounds too much like Preston. Preston basically ran the same practice over and over. We need a young up and coming coach who can help the players grow with a lot of new ideas etc.
    He is a very honest coach don't get me wrong he was very liked within the organization & the players loved him. I'm not saying the players didn't develop at all cuz they have, they worked hard prettty well each & every game its just system wise he bores you to death. I think Conacher would make a better Assistant coach, even at the pro level just being the HC when you gotta set systems in tack & such don't think he has it.

As a response above yes Kallis is very steady as well think I forgot to list him in my notes. I think the only 16y old from last year who will make this yrs roster will be Brooks. The other 2 Ortynski & Mumby just are not good enough for who is capable of making this yrs team.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    He is a very honest coach don't get me wrong he was very liked within the organization & the players loved him. I'm not saying the players didn't develop at all cuz they have, they worked hard prettty well each & every game its just system wise he bores you to death. I think Conacher would make a better Assistant coach, even at the pro level just being the HC when you gotta set systems in tack & such don't think he has it.
    Well patsdue114, which is it? Is Conacher a good coach or not? Me, I would prefer someone like GM / HEAD COACH RYAN PAPAIOANNOU, from the Brooks Bandits. We need someone who is the antithesis of your basic old retread, dump it in...fire it out type of coach. Maybe Papaioannou is the modern game type of coach. Who really knows.

If Papaioannou does become the Canes new head coach, maybe he could change his name to like Ryan PAP, or something.....hehehe.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Iconwhl

My answer is in my last post, ill just say his chip n chase will bore u to death. That's the kind of player he was (if u ever seen him play, not sure how old u r) & that's how he coaches. If u like watching chip n chase all season then he is a good coach for u

when you start to look at the roster by position:
    D-fence for sure: Williams, Burroughs Fenske Reagan Fulton (5). 2 to fill and left are Mumby, Hand, Hak, Henry, Kallis, Hilsendager, Donald if he plays WHL. That will make for interesting battles in camp.
    Forwards for sure: Brooks, Klimchuk, Christoffer, Roldwald, McCoy, Ouellette Stevenson, Hunt if his concussion is clear, McGuire from Brandon, Samoridny Kroeker (11) 6 or 7 to fill with Ortynski, Gay, DÁmico, Berg, Cole, Litwin, McAmmond, Wagner, Zimmer, Schoiler and a few others I can't remember right now.
    Add two euros and the camp heats up.
    Goal tending the # 1 guy is between Sacher, MacAuley. Beukaboom all 94s # 2 is Gora, Churchhill, Schneider
    Lastly when you consider ages it just gets confusinf

Iconwhl

I agree with a lot of your post, as for a key forward you forgot is our #1 center in Stephenson, also I don't think Fenske is a lock to make this team especially if Reagan & Fulton show they are not afraid to play the body dispite being on 16yrs old. Another key factor into this is Fenske is 20 & just don't see him being good enough as a 20yr old, when you have the same type of Dmen in Hand & Hak. Now with that said I do think Hak is a lock to make our defense, he was by far the most improved played on our entire roster last year (him & Burroughs) also if we are going to have 2 16yr old Dmen (which is very likely) we will end up carrying 8 Dmen I'm sure.

Off to the rink for the last ice session at camp every day has improved the execution in the drills so today should be a good day to watch.

Just a quick note that "Phil the Thrill Andrews" blog has some player interviews on it 2 or 3 for each day of camp if any are interested

Iconwhl

Well Spring Camp is all done with now & the final day was by far the best. The kids learned over the 3 days of what the coaches expected out of each player & wanted perfection (tape to tape passes, good shots & to skate hard). One play that really sticks out during the drills was when Poteau (however u spell it) sent a slot pass up to Cole & Fulton stepped up on Cole was a nice open ice hit but you could tell Fulton let up as he didn't follow thru with the hit more less just used himself as a brick wall.

At the end of the session Cameron had a mini shootout with everyone (since Schiender got hurt & left 1 goalie left) Steel had 3 slick moves on each shot he got scored on the 1st 2 & slide the last into the pad. He really loves to go 5 hole after opening up the goalie. A buddy came with me today & he said he see's a lot of Weal in Steel as well. Very agile like Weal was but Steel has the upper hand with better speed.

I'm very interested to see how Steel matures over the summer & gets stronger with a better workout program in tact for him (& the rest of the 15yr olds).

Another player that stood out a lot was a list player of Berg he definately looks able to compete with the top 16yr olds in Zimmer, Wagner, Cole & Kroeker this 16yr old group is much stronger all around then last yrs will be very interested in seeing how many we keep on the main roster. I wouldn't mind seeing us go young like how BRN & MJ did last year. Its finally nice to be able to say the Pats future looks very bright & Lang & his scouting staff has a lot to do with it. Lang took his time & wanted to build thru the draft & were finally seeing some results.

PD114 You are right i missed Stephenson as a lock for the 2013/14 roster. and I agree the Sunday session was much faster and intense than Friday (I did not get to Saturdays). Loved to see drills that allow us to enter the attacting zone and keep possession of the puck.
    Also was very impressed with Steel and the physical battles, he gave up some size but still held hie own winning more than he lost
    If the team does follow MJ or Brandon and go very young we need to pick up a big grinder that will not allow teams to intimidate the 96s and 97s, (Vanscourt or Sutter) types. That would probable mean C Stephenson would be traded at the dead line. Also agree that watching those 15 and 16 the future does look promising.
    The import draft in set for early July. IMO we should try to get 2 forwards and 1 or both should be 17s so we can keep them 2 or 3 years. It is such a crap shoot but heres hoping