Thread: Prospect camp

Default Prospect camp

Was fortunate enough to make it out for all three days this year. Some good skill out there, nobody really looked out of place. There were a few players that stood out for me, and have a pretty good shot at making the team this season.

Grayson Pawlenchuk - Not really a big surprise here, played well in limited action as a 15 year old last season. Has a scoring touch, and backchecks super hard.

Vukie Mpofu - After tearing up Saskatchewan Midget this year, he makes his return as a forward this year. Caught a few defenders off guard with his outside speed, and sniped a few nice ones in the scrimmages.

Kale Denham - Had the most poise of any of the defensemen at the camp, has decent size and mobility, and a fantastic first pass.

Jake MacLachlan - Another steady blueliner, made a lot of smart plays, and was tough on the boards in the scrimmages. Has a pretty decent point shot as well.

Earl Webb - Big, solid forward. Threw his big frame around a lot during the scrimmages, and had a number of scoring chances. One of the more physically ready prospects for the WHL.

Also worth mentioning:

Wyatt Kalynuk - Smooth-skating, versatile defenseman with a fantastic breakout pass. Got better and better each day, and roared in from the point and sniped a few beauties on the last scrimmage of the camp. Most pleasant surprise of the camp for me.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 06-02-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Love to see your roster for next year now that you have seen the prospects.
    If you could keep under 24 that would be interesting.

Default My first list for 2013-4

feel free to be critical

My current outlook for 2013-2014 Rebels as I expect a few movements to happen before the season.
    Goal: (2)
    Bartosak (20) Neherniak (17)
    Defense: (9)
    Dumba (19) Gaudet (19) Fafard (19) Doetzel (18) Pochuk (18) Fleury (17) Denham (17) MacLachlan (17) Kalynuk (16)
    Forwards: (13)
    Ness (20) Dieno (20) Maxwell (19) Bellerive (19) Volek (19) Millette (18) Johnson (18) Feser (18) Stockl (18) Mpofu (17) Nell (17) Webb (17) Musil (16) Pawlenchuk (16)

Looks quite similar to the lineup I made up, though I am doubtful that they can guarantee 40 games for Kalynuk next season, but he is a player they should definitely keep an eye on. Also you have 14 forwards, not 13.

Also I notice that you don't have Bleackley on there, quite a bold prediction having them trade/release him

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Also I notice that you don't have Bleackley on there, quite a bold prediction having them trade/release him
    Well, he's not that good hey? Might as well release him to Brandon
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Default Here you go RC

Made two lineup projections, based on the unlikely event that Bartosak winds up back in Red Deer.

With Bartosak;

Volek(19) - Maxwell(19) - Dieno(20)
    Ness(20) (or replacement OA*) - Bleackley(17) - Bellerieve (19)
    Feser(18) - Johnson(18) - Pawlenchuk(16)
    Stockl(18) - Musil(16) - Webb(17)
    Mpofu(17)

Gaudet(19) - Dumba(19)
    Fleury(17) - Doetzel(18)
    Pochuk(18) - Fafard(19)
    MacLachlan(17), Dehnam(17)

Bartosak(20) - Naherniak(17)

Without;

Ness(20) (or replacement OA*) - Bleackley(17) - Bellerieve (19)
    Feser(18) - Johnson(18) - Pawlenchuk(16)
    Stockl(18) - Musil(16) - Webb(17)
    Mpofu(17)

Gaudet(19) - Dumba(19)
    Fleury(17) - Doetzel(18)
    OA Defenseman*(20) - Fafard(19)

Pouliot(19) - Naherniak(17)

* Through trade

Obvious exclusions

Millette - Seemed to hit a plateau in his development last season, much like Siwak did the year prior. Had some really indifferent play down the stretch and found himself a healthy scratch in the playoffs. I think that when it becomes clearer what is happening with Bartosak, they will either move him for a pick, or an overage defenseman (if Bartosak doesn't return).

Pouliot - If Bartosak returns, I don't know how great of an idea it is to keep a 19 year old backup that will play another 5 or 6 games. If he doesn't return, I think they will hang on to him, and give him one last shot at the starter's job.

Thiel - Was really hard for me to drop him in favor of Ness, as Ness did absolutely nothing after the trade deadline last season, and was easily one of the worst players in the playoffs. If half of the players on the team could develop Thiel's work ethic, they would be an unstoppable team. At the end of the day though, the team will need scoring more than a checker, making him the odd man out.

Boomgaarden - He will be a 19 year old defenseman with 21 games of limited WHL experience. Could possibly stick around and bump MacLachlan or Denham off as an 'extra', but it really doesn't make sense to have him play this role again as a 19 year old.

Smith - Thought it was a puzzling move last season when they picked him up. As I understand it, he wasn't even playing Jr. A or Midget, he was playing Rec hockey or something in Carlyle, SK. Didn't really seem too impressive in the limited action he saw, so he was too wild of a wildcard for me to put in my lineup.

Ness - If Bartosak returns, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was moved, possibly with Millette to upgrade at his position with a different OA forward. He was on pace at one point in the season to almost double his point output last season, only to totally vanish after Christmas. If he comes to camp this season as the player that played in the first half of the season last year, he would look good on the second line, or possibly even the first line.

First of all I am impressed that SectionN was willing to do a roster that was under 25. Here is my pre import draft list.

Ness(20) - Bleackley(17) - Bellerieve (19)
    Feser(18) - Johnson(18) - Millette(18)
    Pawlenchuk(16) Stockl(18) - Musil(16) -
    Mpofu(17) Webb(17)

Gaudet(19) - Dumba(19)
    Fleury(17) - Doetzel(18)
    Pochuk(18) - Fafard(19)

Bartosak(20) - Naherniak(17)

Default Section N

Section N, you know how high I am on Bleakley so obviously I rushed and didn't edit or properly count my list. I will try again later. LOL