Thread: 2013 No NHL Drafts

Red face 2013 No NHL Drafts

It is very disconcerting that in this years NHL draft we had no one chosen. Personally I did not expect any of the Canes to be drafted. Bear in mind all of the 2010 Bantam drafts available this year were Robson's choices and recommendations including Merkley. It is noted that Cole Ully who has a local connection and was interested in coming here was "passed over" cause Merkley was better. Yesterday Ully was drafted by Dallas. Sometimes it is pretty hard to figure this organization out. This is Robson's first time at the plate as a GM but he has had many many rounds at the Bantam Draft table and held up as some kind of guru when it comes to 14 year olds. I hope he fairs better than he has in the past. You can blame Preston, but he can only work with what he got. It appears Robson didn't give him much to work with, to wit: NHL draft 2013

Iconwhl

This years bantam draft wasn't much better for the Canes either, I know myself I have never been a fan of drafting goalies in the 1st 2 rounds of the NHL draft or the WHL draft. Goalies take so long to develop & most goalies tend to be later picks anyways. NHL GMs are leaning away from taking goalies in the 1st rd now & yesturday was a prime example, without looking I think only Fucale was taken in the 1st 2 rounds with zero goalies taken in the 1st round.

The deal the Canes did with with the WKs just to draft a goalie is another prime example of bad rebuilding. Since when is an avg 20yr old goalie worth a 1st round pick in the top 10? It doesn't matter how good your goalie is is the team infront of him is no good he won't shine in a rebuild. Don't get me wrong there are a few good building blocks in LETH but nothing that says "wow is our goalie going to benefit from these guys"

I personally think that trade is going to come back & haunt the Canes in the very near future. Boes is a temporary fix for this year & is not going to make a big difference in how the Canes finish at the end of the year. IMO the Canes would of been better off looking at goalie options in the preseason/early regular season, just like MH did last year. There will be goalies who are quality guys but won't get playing time behind the main guy, heck you guys could of got Burgart from the Pats for prob a 3rd rd pick & he is ready to challenge for a roster spot pretty well anywhere in the league. Plus MJ has 3 quality goalies with not enough minutes between the pipes that would come at a cheaper price tag then what the Canes paid for Boes.

I heard that 1 of the board members push your GM into making this trade, something to do with a family tie to the Boes family. Not sure if its true or not.....

3. Default I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    This years bantam draft wasn't much better for the Canes either, I know myself I have never been a fan of drafting goalies in the 1st 2 rounds of the NHL draft or the WHL draft. Goalies take so long to develop & most goalies tend to be later picks anyways. NHL GMs are leaning away from taking goalies in the 1st rd now & yesturday was a prime example, without looking I think only Fucale was taken in the 1st 2 rounds with zero goalies taken in the 1st round.

The deal the Canes did with with the WKs just to draft a goalie is another prime example of bad rebuilding. Since when is an avg 20yr old goalie worth a 1st round pick in the top 10? It doesn't matter how good your goalie is is the team infront of him is no good he won't shine in a rebuild. Don't get me wrong there are a few good building blocks in LETH but nothing that says "wow is our goalie going to benefit from these guys"

I personally think that trade is going to come back & haunt the Canes in the very near future. Boes is a temporary fix for this year & is not going to make a big difference in how the Canes finish at the end of the year. IMO the Canes would of been better off looking at goalie options in the preseason/early regular season, just like MH did last year. There will be goalies who are quality guys but won't get playing time behind the main guy, heck you guys could of got Burgart from the Pats for prob a 3rd rd pick & he is ready to challenge for a roster spot pretty well anywhere in the league. Plus MJ has 3 quality goalies with not enough minutes between the pipes that would come at a cheaper price tag then what the Canes paid for Boes.

I heard that 1 of the board members push your GM into making this trade, something to do with a family tie to the Boes family. Not sure if its true or not.....
    I couldn’t disagree more.
    5 WHL goalies were selected in the NHL draft.
    3 of the top 5 goalies taken in the 2010 WHL draft were drafted in the NHL. (2 taken in Round #2 of the NHL draft)
    Bartosak was taken in the CHL import draft.
    Skapski was taken in the third round of the 2009 WHL draft.
    No undrafted or later than round 3 WHL goalie draft picks were drafted in the NHL.
    All point to take a goalie high in the WHL draft.
    All goalies drafted in the NHL were on playoff teams.
    Get a goalie for this season and one for the future. I personally think we underrate the goaltending position.
    Last edited by here for the long run; 07-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    I couldn’t disagree more.
    5 WHL goalies were selected in the NHL draft.
    3 of the top 5 goalies taken in the 2010 WHL draft were drafted in the NHL. (2 taken in Round #2 of the NHL draft)
    Bartosak was taken in the CHL import draft.
    Skapski was taken in the third round of the 2009 WHL draft.
    No undrafted or later than round 3 WHL goalie draft picks were drafted in the NHL.
    All point to take a goalie high in the WHL draft.
    All goalies drafted in the NHL were on playoff teams.
    Get a goalie for this season and one for the future. I personally think we underrate the goaltending position.
    Nice Post
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!