Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013/14 Roster

Trianing camp schedule is now posted on the Pat web site

MacAuley last year with the Tigers looked very good in camp. He stole a spot away from a vet(Kenny cameron) that played with the Tigers the previous season.

However once the regular season hit when everyone's vets came back he started getting lit up. He is a very big goaltender and takes up a lot of room, but had rebound control issues, and agility was questionable.

He put up very good numbers in Junior A leading the Yorkton Terriers to the Western Canada Cup, getting Co-MVP honors so maybe his technique has rounded out. His 2nd half numbers skyrocketed.

Regina spent a 4th on him, so they must think he has a fairly good chance at sticking.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Iconwhl

Tiger Trauma I agree with you I do think he is capable of playing in the league as many have labeled him as a late bloomer, it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats carry 3 goalies for 2 or 3 weeks into the season & show that we have 2 goalies who can play at this level & wait for a trade to take place. Or just got with 2 19yr olds in goal & have them both push each other for as long as it will work, altho I don't see that taking place with our youth movement.

I think MacAuley was picked up as an insurance policy. The Pats want to go young this year, but if your young goaltenders start to falter...
    Rather than shatter a young guys confidence, you want your insurance policy to kick in.

I would like to see an up grade in the 20 year old positions. You need a top two d-man and a top 6 forward as 20's. That is a reach for both Fenske and Oulette.

I will be interested to see how Dane Schioler plays at camp. His play improved in AAA last year. Can he contribute??

My dark horse in camp is Drew Litwin. I like his game and just may make this team as a 16 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    As for the MacAuley, Sacher, Beukeboom goaltending situation what a great problem to have going into camp, all 3 should be in the WHL this season but realisticly the Pats only have room for 1 of them as I do believe the backup spot will be Gora's...I believe Beukeboom is going to have that fire in his eyes this camp as he wont want to be cut again out of training camp, I think he will push Sacher even more then MacAuley will..... I think the bigger questions will be.... which goalie will be traded 1st and how long do we carry 3 goaltenders into the regular season??

I think if Moodie faulters out of camp the Blades will come calling for 1 of our 19yr old goalies.
    Outside opinion here:

I can't help but think you are overrating your goaltenders just a BIT. I mean, you have three 19 year old goalies with a combined 52 games in the WHL. Two of them weren't even good enough to play in the WHL as 18 year olds and the one who did, posted an .883 save percentage. The probability is high that all three of them are, at best, average to below-average WHL goaltenders and so realistically one of these guys is going to play for the Pats this year just because they have nothing else, and the other two are going to go finish their junior careers in Jr A.

Going down the rosters of all the teams, I believe it is a very good possibility that the Pats have the worst goaltending situation this year in the entire WHL. If there's going to be a goalie trade involving the Pats, I think it's more likely the deal involves the Pats ACQUIRING a starter rather than it involves other teams lining up to get their hands on these three 19 year old undiscovered gems.

Just my two bits.

Alan, you opinion is always valued.

To be quite honest with you, the Pats need a little of everything.

Goaltending wise. I think that Sacher can do the job. We were able to watch him at times last year. Most of his starts were on the road. He did OK. When the wheels fell off on some of his games were due to some suspect d zone coverage. Remember that Hewitt's numbers as an 18 year old were not all that impressive (.890).

The Pats need to beef up their d. To expect two 18 year olds to be 1 and 2 are unrealistic. And Williams and Burroughs are not that type of talent. They would be more comfortable at 4 and 5. there are some nice prospects coming up, but at the older age group the cupboard is bare.

And we need scoring. There is a bunch of 'character' guys on the list, but we need a couple of more guys (other than Stephenson and Klimchuk) to score more than 30 points.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    The Pats need to beef up their d. To expect two 18 year olds to be 1 and 2 are unrealistic. And Williams and Burroughs are not that type of talent. They would be more comfortable at 4 and 5. there are some nice prospects coming up, but at the older age group the cupboard is bare.
    Sounds like Swift, where all defensemen are 18 and younger. However it doesn't hurt to have a trio of guys that have or are projected to be top two round Nhl draft picks in that group

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    May be alittle biased opinion here but imo Burroughs was playing above & beyond his 17yr old age status last year. He was basicly our #1 Dman all year (especially in the 2nd 1/2) it wasn't like Jobke & Fenske were available much in the 2nd 1/2 & Burroughs took that role & ran with it, he was just shy of a point/game during that time. Our defense would of been 10 times worse without Burroughs, his play in the back 1/2 of the year got him drafted by the NYI & he climbed up in his draft status as well with rankings.

Just remember at the junior level its a new season at the start as well as just after xmas too these kids mature at different rates. Burroughs has been 1 of those players that benefitted from playing on an older team during his rookie year which helped him greatly to the player he is becoming. He gets to attend a NHL camp this fall too which will show him where his level needs to get too.

We got 4 players attending NHL camps this year & every player always returns better then before they left. Those 4 guys will be leaned on a lot this year & fully expect all to produce at the level that's expected of them.

I really don't think we will be as bad as some may think, we would of been a playoff team last year had we not had like a bazillion injuries. Also Sacher is not a below avg goalie, to judge him fully on the SV% stat alone is just flat out stupid especially when you see the team that played infront of him on a nightly basis with all the injuries. The wins he did get he stole wins most of the time & held us in games besides a few where it wouldn't of matter had Hewitt been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Also Sacher is not a below avg goalie, to judge him fully on the SV% stat alone is just flat out stupid especially when you see the team that played infront of him on a nightly basis with all the injuries. The wins he did get he stole wins most of the time & held us in games besides a few where it wouldn't of matter had Hewitt been playing.
    I wasn't judging Sacher purely by his SV%. But it IS a bad SV% and you can directly compare him to Hewitt, who played behind the exact same team and posted a .903 save %. That's an extra goal every 50 shots, or if your team allows 35 shots per game, that's an extra .67 goals against per game when Sacher was in net rather than Hewitt. That's pretty significant.

Basically, the numbers suggest that unless there is a huge improvement in Sacher's performance this year over last year, then if he's your #1 goalie then you guys better get ready for a long year.

Of course I could be proven wrong, we'll have to see. But those numbers should be cause for alarm among Pats fans, not optimism IMO.

Iconwhl

There was a whole whopping 1% difference between Honey's SV% & Sacher's SV% so guess with what you said prior his numbers should be alarming as well going into this season.........correct? (If I remember correctly you are a WKs fan, not that I truly care what team you cheer for though)

Also comparing a 20yr old goalie to a 18yr old goalie is showing how little you truly know about junior hockey. Ill just leave it at that......

For all we know maybe Sacher & MacAuley all over acheived in the roles they were in & the Pats will be left with nothing to work with when it comes to goaltenders. Guess that's why there is training camps & a season to be played....