Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: *confirmed* blades are sold

Quote Originally Posted by twentyone View Post
    I agree we will have to wait and see approach. I think they are coming in a little over excited right now. Right now They seem like hockey fans buying their way into running a team. They will soon learn that they need to find their GM and let him do his thing. Colin seems like he wants to be a GM. That cant happen. I also can't see any of this hockey staff been around this time next year. By the sounds of things what they want a team to be is polar opposite of what blades teams have been under Molleken. Discipline? What's that.

Anyway they seem very excited and motivated right now. Hopefully they can succeed in changing the attitude of people in this city about junior hockey.
    I think they are amateurs and it shows. Just seems like the team was bought for the kid. Just hoping this isn't the Parker's act 2. That being said, I really hope they can turn this franchise into a winner real soon.

I am A Pats fan and season ticket holder and I too hope, for your sake, it is not Parker act 2

In the SP it stated that Colin Priestner will have a hands on role. Colin stated he is not here to make trades, not here to judge talent, not here to set lines, but will be actively involved in the dressing room. Sounds confusing and a need to clearly define the roles of each hockey operation staff.

Good Luck, The WHL needs strong, competitive franchises in all 22 locations. I think we are now headed in the right direction.

I don't think that Colin Priestner would ever nix a deal that Molleken presented to him. I just think he wants to get experience in the day-to-day running of a sports franchise, which is okay. He has good people around him already with Hogle, Molleken, Struch and the rest of the staff. Let them make the hockey decisions and stick to the business side of things.

One big thing I really liked while reading the recent news articles about the sale is that they plan to increase the scouting presence in the United States (California, Colorado specifically.) I've been calling for increased scouting for this franchise for years. I hope that this also means they'll be looking for more guys in BC, Alberta and Manitoba as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nook View Post
    One big thing I really liked while reading the recent news articles about the sale is that they plan to increase the scouting presence in the United States (California, Colorado specifically.)
    Hopefully he doesn't waste too much money on scouting in California and Colorado before he realizes that most of the players there simply won't play in the Canadian prairies, regardless of how much you scout them...

You are right about investing more in scouting overall being a good thing though.

It sure looks like the scouting will be revamped which is good. I'm going to assume it won't just be in the US they'll be hiring scouts but hopefully more in Western Canada to. They could use more then one scout in Manitoba and a few more in BC to.

Was it announced what the price tag was ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    Was it announced what the price tag was ?
    Nope. Between 9 million and 9.5 million was all that was reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    It sure looks like the scouting will be revamped which is good. I'm going to assume it won't just be in the US they'll be hiring scouts but hopefully more in Western Canada to. They could use more then one scout in Manitoba and a few more in BC to.
    Its not how many, its can they spot talent that counts. Swift Current at one time had 1 scout that travelled western Canada. He built them some very impressive hockey teams including the one that beat the Blades in the MC. Every team has a network of scouts, but they also have a network of what they call bird dogs. These are the local guys that know the minor hockey players inside and out, from Atom to junior B. These are the guys you want. These are the guys nobody knows about that make teams look good. I think just about every team is represented by a bird dog in Saskatoon alone that I know of.