Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Training Camp

Who does Steele play like, either past dub players or NHL player? Is he going to be the size of Weal or Eberle or a bit bigger?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Who does Steele play like, either past dub players or NHL player? Is he going to be the size of Weal or Eberle or a bit bigger?
    The first time I saw Steel back in the summer he reminded me a lot of Weal, especially when he gets moving with his agility. Watching the blue & white game and then the home game against PA on Friday night even lead me more to lean towards Weal as well. Once he hits that top speed when coming out from behind the net on the PP breakout he makes defenders think he is going 1 way then with his quickness he breaks it the other way with the puck.

His vision is already surpassed Weal & Eberle at age 15 (going by same ages when they were too) I remember those guys when they were 15/16 and they didn't seem to handle themselves the same way as Steel did. This kid is the real deal, no questions asked. Benson & Patrick have size on him forsure but I think what separates Steel from them is his vision (from what ive read/heard about the other players). Talking with Steel's dad on Friday night before the game he even touched on Benson too, said how good of a player he is but its too hard to compare Benson to Steel just due to both being different types of players.

As for Beukeboom being reassigned really no surprise at all that MacAuley won the backup job (& who knows he may not stop there either) Beukeboom looked bad on 2 of the 3 goals he allowed on Friday night and allowing 6 goals in 2 half games is not a formula to make a WHL roster as a backup when MacAuley allowed 2 goals in the same span. By making this decision so easy on the Pats hockey operations with a reassignment this early there goes Beukeboom's chances of even landing on another team as a backup.

Looks like our 3 16yr olds this year are Wagner (knew he was a lock for the team during summer camp) Zimmer (1st thought maybe abit small and needed fill out) & Reagan (also a lock but that was expected last season)

Thanks for the Steele update. Patrick is 1 month away fron turning 15, and already looks WHL ready. He reminds me a lot of Schenn, but a faster skater and bigger than Schenn was at 16. maybe not as mean as Schenn was when he first entered the league. He's definetly a pass first guy right now, but can score, as evidenced against MJ Friday night when he roofed that one against Wapple. Going to be interesting to see how Steele/Patrick compare over the years being as though Brandon really wanted Patrick and gave Regina MCguire to make it happen. I think likely Brandon didn't want another smaller skill guy, got enough in that mold, Schmyr, Hawryluk, Lewis, and of course if the players were fairly even they would want the son of a previous player. Be good to watch some AAA games this year and see how all these star 15 year old prospects do. I wouldn't bet against Clague ending up being the best prospect out of this years bantam draft, that guy is unreal on defence.
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Iconwhl

Ya you guys got 2 gems in this past draft that are great building blocks moving forward with your rebuild. Hopefully all the top 10 guys pan out how the teams hope they will, was a very deep draft with a lot of high end skill in the top 10.

Patrick kind of picked where he wanted to go although I'm very sure he would of played pretty much anywhere but in PG (poor PG). Patrick's size would of looked good in a pats jersey, mainly due to the Pats always being so small for so many yrs but I'm not complaining of the gem in Steel either. Be nice to see Steel during a few call ups this year (which Lang has said they will use all 5 games he's able to play) just to see how he is progressing with his strength & size.

Interesting stats from Alan Calders blog. He has taken all the preseason rosters and broke down the teams averages. the Pats at an average age of 18.18 years makes us the oldest team with 12 - 19 year olds. With 32 players on the roster only one team has more players still in camp. The average height is 72.81 inches or for the old timers that is 6 feet and 13/16 of an inch only 5 teams average taller. Average weight is 185.94 pounds which is middle of the pack

Once the teams are all down to size this will change. In the past AC has recalculated the averages and posted them on his blog (Smallthoughtsatlarge)

Iconwhl

having 2 19yr old goalies is going to inflat our avg age easily, there will definitely be 2 19yr olds gone before final rosters need to be named so far for me Pilton is leading the pack on that which will bring down our avg height a lot & even more if Henry is the other since they are our 2 tallest players. I do feel that D'Amico is the odd 1 out up front but I hope the pats can get a 4th or 5th rd pick for him which may be over valuing him abit but hey PG could use him right?

PG is (3 and 1) or (4 and 0) in the silly season. That should not mean much but its PG and they could think they have the horses they need.

Early in camp you were high on Pilton and we have not seen him in the pre-season, was he that bad in the blue and white. Will listen tonight and see if he plays and how well.

Iconwhl

Pilton looked good in the 1st scrimmage then the next 1 he went after that 15yr old to fight him & lost all respect for the guy. He was avg in blue & white game & havenseen him since either.

Ill admit I was quick to judge him in 1st scrimmage lmao

PD114 looked at the goal tenders in the league and our 2 - 19s are not that askew. Kam 2 19s - Kel 1-20 & 1-18 - Let 1-20 & 1-18 & 1-17 - PA 1-20 & 1-16 - RD 1-20 & 1-17 - Spo 1-20 & 1-18 & 1-16 - SC 1-20 & 1-18 & 1-16. As goalies are late bloomers almost all teams have a 19 at least and then one younger.

I agree the final opening day roster will not include 12 19s. IMO 9 max 2 tenders and 7 skaters

the pressure to win is on again in Regina.i don't mind the team deciding to go with an older more experienced squad.You basically want to start the season with the best possible line up at all positions .2 -19 year old goalies isn't a bad idea as to be honest - Regina is very inexperienced in goal this year.Matt Hewitt will be missed - best of luck to Hewitt in his future endevours