Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Training Camp

Default Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
    Skinner is huge,
    Skinner will be a project
    Not much else, kids look exhausted
    Derek. What do you mean when you say Skinner is a project?

I'm not sure which game it was during the training camp scrimmages, but he let in 2 or 3 soft goals in like 1 period or so, and I was like ....... oh no.

In the pre-season game against the Rebels, from what I have heard, he was fantastic. He stopped all 23 out of the 23 shots he saw. Yes he is young and raw, but his size and basic talent seems to have no limit. Skinner has the potential, the size and the tools to be a all-star type goalie in not just the WHL, but the entire CHL.

The most amazing thing about the kid is he has a late birthday as it relates to the NHL draft etc. Currently Skinner is actually only 14 years old. He does not even turn 15 until November of this year. Skinner is 16 months younger than the next youngest player still on the Canes roster, that player being Zach Goberis whose D.O.B. is July 11 1997.... "Stuart Skinner G L 6'3 193 Nov 1, 1998". Another comparison is Giorgio Estephan whose D.O.B. is Feb 3 1997. ...... Skinner is 20 months younger than Estephan.

We Canes fans can only hope that Skinner is as good in 3 or 4 years as he appears to be today.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 09-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Derek. What do you mean when you say Skinner is a project?

I'm not sure which game it was during the training camp scrimmages, but he let in 2 or 3 soft goals in like 1 period or so, and I was like ....... oh no.

In the pre-season game against the Rebels, from what I have heard, he was fantastic. He stopped all 23 out of the 23 shots he saw. Yes he is young and raw, but his size and basic talent seems to have no limit. Skinner has the potential, the size and the tools to be a all-star type goalie in not just the WHL, but the entire CHL.

The most amazing thing about the kid is he has a late birthday as it relates to the NHL draft etc. Currently Skinner is actually only 14 years old. He does not even turn 15 until November of this year. Skinner is 16 months younger than the next youngest player still on the Canes roster, that player being Zach Goberis whose D.O.B. is July 11 1997.... "Stuart Skinner G L 6'3 193 Nov 1, 1998". Another comparison is Giorgio Estephan whose D.O.B. is Feb 3 1997. ...... Skinner is 20 months younger than Estephan.

We Canes fans can only hope that Skinner is as good in 3 or 4 years as he appears to be today.
    I posted that during the scrimmage vs team navy(?) when he gave up 4 or 5 in the second half. He really didn't play any better then Suriano did in any of the scrimmages. It sounds like he was very good vs the Rebels, I'm just not sold on him. Yes his size is an obvious advantage but not so sure about his athleticism, reactions and raw talent. He seems to play very robotic.

Goalies are all projects really, they take longer to develop and the position is much more mental then the others. His young age makes him even more of a project.