Thread: Scout Report on Cam Barker

Hybrid View

Default Scout Report on Cam Barker

The Chicago Blackhawks selected Barker with the third overall pick in 2004.

Talent Analysis

A big powerful blueliner who is a deceptively strong skater, at times he looks like he is gliding when in fact his stride just looks that effortless. Physical and alert in his own end, Barker is even better offensively. He quarterbacks the powerplay and has terrific passing abilities. Anything but afraid to jump up into the play, or lead the rush himself, Barker’s offensive totals this past season eclipsed the best year Bouwmeester had in the league.

“Barker’s a hell of a defenseman,” said one NHL scout. “Last year in the playoffs he really elevated his game and played with urgency; when it counts, he shows up a little bit more. I don’t see a lot of top end defensemen better than him.”

Future

The 2005-06 season will be Barker's chance to prove that the long-lingering symptoms of his illness have had no lasting impact on his skill or potential. Barker will compete against fellow prospects Anton Babchuk, Brent Seabrook, Michal Barinka and James Wisniewski for a spot on the Chicago Blackhawks. If he fails to make the show, he'll again call Medicine Hat home. Either way, Barker should once again play for Canada at the World Junior Championships, leading a good but inexperienced defense into battle.

Scout

Well Scout, this time i have to disagree with your report with respect to 1 aspect. In the 3 years I have watched him play, he is not physical, in fact, he could go into a corner with a tiffany champayne glass and come out with it intact.
    Drop the Puck

Default Hey Thats ok Reb.

I actually got this report via e-mail. This is a report that is shared on different junior players as seen by other scouts and not just my opinion. It's a combination of 5 or 6 scouts as they see him.

Scout

Every now and then you'll see a real mean streak come out in him. Usually it's in important playoff games. When the Tigers were down 3 D-men from suspension in a game against Brandon he layed out a few guys, scored 2 goals and was first star. Many people believe that it's his work ethic. You never know which Barker is going to show up.

BarksBaby4ever Guest

Cam is so a very physical guy when he has to be. Cam's a good player and plays just as good as everybody else. If Cam wasn't a good hockey player then he wouldn't of been drafted to Chicago in the 1st. round 3rd. overall nor would he of been on the National Junior Team playin' for Brent Sutter. Everybody knows how hard it is to play for him. Yes I know he only played 3 games but at least he played. You can't help it when you get sick. Cam makes mistakes. All the other tigers make the same damn mistakes Cam does but nobody rides them like they ride Barker. And yes I've read that same report on Barker.

I would say that he's a physical guy when he wants to be.

Yes, other Tigers make some of the same mistakes that Barker does. But when he isn't playing well he gives off the impression that he isn't putting forth effort. When he has an off night he get's beat to every puck and forwards skate around him as though he were a post. The players who work hard and skate their asses off to every puck usually don't get jeered.

He often gives off the appearance that he isn't trying that hard, and when he get's beat it makes much of the Tiger faithful upset.