Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013/14 Roster

Default 2013/14 Roster

This a week or two early but its a month to training camp and I have some time now so I will start it off. looking only at the PPL
    As a result of the strength of the draft of 97 born player (2012 draft) the roster could include 4 or 5 16 year olds this season and with the talent and size of this year draft another 3, 4 or 5 16 year old players next year and that is very encouraging for 3 and 4 seasons from now.
    Tenders:
    Sacher, Beukeboom, and McCauley all 19 will compete for the starters job. Gora (17) and Schneider (16) will battle for the back up. The WHL has a rule that any 16 year old must play 40 games and if that includes tenders I think that would rule out Schneider unless just being dressed and on the bench counts. They drafted another 6 foot tender (Chapman) this year but he is not eligible to play this season.
    D-Fence:
    Burroughs (18), Williams (18), Sinitsyn (19) for sure. Either Fensky or Holland both (20) will fill one spot. Brady Reagan (16) and Robbie Fulton (16) are both serious contenders and that is 6 d-men. the remaining will fill the 1 or 2 spots (16s) Brendan Kallis, James Hilsendager, (17s) Chase Harrison, Eric Donald, Griffen Mumby, (18s) Tye Hand (19s) Steven Hak, Darian Henry, Kade Pilton and 3 college players Nolan DeJong, Alec cCrea and Brady Skjei.
    that make 12 players for 2 spots. I thought at the spring camp Kallis was very steady, stay at home d-man and very coachable but that would be 3 16s and the 40 game rule be very restrictive for juggling the lineup. Either Hak or Hand (I get them cunfussed) showed a lot of improvement last year so should be concidered.
    Forwards:
    (20s) Dyson Stevenson and Trent Ouellette, (19s) Chandler Stephenson, Jack Rodewald, Carson Samoridny, Marc McCoy, (18s) Mogan Klimchuk, Braden Christoffer, Goerdie McGuire, a question mark Dryden Hunt. (17s) Adam Brooks, Maxmillan Klammerer. If you add 2 (16s) Ryker Cole, Rylee Zimmer, Adam Berg and Colton Kroeker have a leg up for those spots but the remaining (16s) have a chance Liam Finlay, Drew Litwin, Jared McAmmond, Angus Scott and Austin Wagner. 2 (17s) forwards are on the PPL Bryar Ortynsky and Dane Schiolerand and 19 year old Patrick D'Amico.
    The first gruop with 2 (16s) and Hunt is 14 forwards, so only 1 or 2 spots up for grabs. I could see a trade of a tender for a (17) forward
    Lots to ponder and looks what could be a very competitive camp. The team could have 4 (16s) this season.
    Look forward to all you posters thoughts and comments
    GO PATS GO
    Last edited by RWAH; 07-26-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos and clarity

Missed one forward in Conner Gay an 18 but he will need a good camp to keep a roster spot.

Iconwhl

I don't believe Hollan has any intentions of coming to the CHL unless his NHL drafted team wants him here (which I doubt) as for Fenske I don't see much of a point in keeping him around as a 20yr old as Hak & Hand provide the exact same role & don't fill a 20yr old spot. Fenske didn't bring any toughness at all last year, not 1 fight it was like he was disinterested to even be here last year.

Christoffer is a 19yr old this year I believe & should be able to fit into a top 6 role as he really came on in the 2nd half & found his groove. We should have a nice big line this year in McCoy, Rodewald & Samoridny that is if Cameron plays them all together as believe they are all rightys as well.

I think there is more then just a couple forward spots up for grabs, I'm not sold on Ouellett making as a 20yr old either I think there is room for an upgrade but it won't hurt my feelings if he is back either Gay, D'Amico, Ortynski & possibly even Brooks will be hard pressed to keep there roster spots.

I think we will have a good top 3 on our backend lead by Burroughs with castoffs of Williams, & that Russian to follow suit. Hak I believe will make this team as well but I believe every other spot is wide open & 1 of those spots belongs to Reagan already so 3 spots (most likely as we tend to carry 8 Dmen a lot) are wide open for the picking.

Lang will make a trade during camp/preseason, to open up a roster spot or 2, we have a returning roster that are capable of playing in the WHL (except maybe Ortnyski) just won't be all on our team.

This year camp will be very interesting as there is so many different looks our roster could look like with a strong group of 16 & 17yr olds looking to crack the roster. I think a couple of 16yr olds left off the roster last year are going to prove a lot in camp that they shouldn't of been over looked last year. IMO no way Ortynski & Mumby make our team this year.

Our goalie situation is prob going to be the most interesting to watch unfold. We got 3 19yr olds competing for the starting job & only so much crease time to prove they want it. I'm sure 1 will be dealt to play a regular spot on another team & then 1 will be flat out released off the PPL.

I'm still very confident that we will be in the 5th/6th spot next year be year end, I don't see us having such an injury plagued season again like last year & Stephenson & Klimchuk will be a tough dual to stop. Klimchuk will score 45+ this year (yes I'm saying it) he is going to benefit a lot from Cameron's style of coaching compared to Conacher's chip n chase game plan.

Think we agree on most: but I think Fulton is a lock on d, he is 6 ft 4 in 185 lbs last year AAA midget averaged a half point a game and a chip on his shoulder with 103 PIMs, a rough tough d-man, we can use.
    Fenske last year ended as a plus 7 while Hand is minus 2 and Hak a minus 7. I think Fenske played more time against the other teams top lines than Hak or Hand. He was not showy but his stats show he got the job done
    You could be right about Brooks I just thought there was a lot of improvement in his game as the year went on and hopefully he worked this off season to get stronger.
    As you mentioned Cameron's style for the team should be more puck possession and that will allow the skilled players to develop and to shine.
    Holland was a recent add on to the PPL so I assume they have some inside info that he will be leaving the NCAA. He was injured most of last year but the only way he makes the club is to beat out Fenske for a 20 d-man.

I believe Holland has been on the PPL list for a couple years now. I think they kept on the list because college enlisted players do not count as part of the 50 (I could be wrong).

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Bepoleon View Post
    I believe Holland has been on the PPL list for a couple years now. I think they kept on the list because college enlisted players do not count as part of the 50 (I could be wrong).
    Holland was on the Pats PPL before he got drafted & enrolled into the NCAA which you are correct he doesn't count towards the PPL cause of that reason but he is still the Pats property should he reconsider a CHL route for his final year of being able too (which is highly unlikely)

As for the Fenske comment yes he does play a hard nose game don't get me wrong I love his game in the D zone but when he gets that puck on his stick he is no better then Mumby was/is...... Hak has that flare with the puck he makes a lot of good plays with it. The +/- stat can be a very over-rated stat at times but with that said Fenske should of had a better stat as Hand & Hak were virtually raw rookies last ywith very little experience

One week to camp and I am looking forward to it. With that in mind and to start a discussion on the 2013/14 Pats I will offer a porjected lineup. I know camp and trades will bring to bear something different than I post here but its a start and others thoughts are always welcome.

Goal
    Macauley / Gora

Defence: in no order but possible pairing. I did not concider L or R hand shot
    Williams/ Sinitsyn
    Fenske / Reagan
    Burroughs / Fulton
    Williams / (Hak) (Hand) (Donald) (Kallis) (Pilton) A BC paper has Pilton returning to Pat camp. Kallis would be the third 16 year old on D and the league rule that 16s must play 40 games would limit lineup adjustments from game to game.

Forwards: in no order but possible lines
    Stevenson / Klimchuk / Stephenson
    Christoffer / Ouelette / Maquire
    Rodrwald / McCoy / Samoridny
    Klammerer / / Hunt???
    that leaves 3 or if Hunt is out 4 spots for Gay, Dane Schioler, Ryker Cole, Adam Berg, Rylee Zimmer, Colton Kroeker, Austin Wagner Liam Finlay, Jared McAmmond. IMO only 2 of those spots will be 16s and that would give the roster 4 16 for sure and if Kallis makes the D it would be 5 , 16s.

An interesting camp, this years team should be younger bigger and more skilled. Malcolm's coaching will be a joy to watch if we play a possession style as he has said we will. Lastly next year the roster will see at least 3 more 16s so the 2016/17 and 2017/18 saesons look very promising but that is a long way off.

As always other posts are encouraged and appreciated.
    Last edited by RWAH; 08-21-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: grammer

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by RWAH View Post
    Goal
    Macauley / Gora

I really don't see MacAuley stealing the job from Sacher, Sacher had a very strong season last year at a level higher then MacAuley. Only way I see Sacher not being our starter is if Lang has a deal in place that would bring in a decent 17yr old forward that can step in right away since we are weak at the 17yr old group up front.

Defence: in no order but possible pairing. I did not concider L or R hand shot
    Williams/ Sinitsyn
    Fenske / Reagan
    Burroughs / Fulton
    Williams / (Hak) (Hand) (Donald) (Kallis) (Pilton) A BC paper has Pilton returning to Pat camp. Kallis would be the third 16 year old on D and the league rule that 16s must play 40 games would limit lineup adjustments from game to game.
    In my opinion I think Hak & Hand both bring the same thing as Fenske brings as both are younger I think they become more valuable then Fenske is, Hak was 1 of our most improved players last season and I think he has a big role on our defense to fill this year behind Burroughs & Williams. With that addition of Sinitsyn I think it makes Fenske expendable while still developing Reagan, Fulton & maybe Kallis. Pilton is most likely just a body for camp, I don't think he has a chance of making the team after he walked out on the team last year for failing to want to go on the ice after he gave Revel a licken. Plus you forgot to mention Mumby (who I don't think has the skill to make the team as others just seem to be ahead of him.

Forwards: in no order but possible lines
    Stevenson / Klimchuk / Stephenson
    Christoffer / Ouelette / Maquire
    Rodewald / McCoy / Samoridny
    Klammerer / / Hunt???
    that leaves 3 or if Hunt is out 4 spots for Gay, Dane Schioler, Ryker Cole, Adam Berg, Rylee Zimmer, Colton Kroeker, Austin Wagner Liam Finlay, Jared McAmmond. IMO only 2 of those spots will be 16s and that would give the roster 4 16 for sure and if Kallis makes the D it would be 5 ,16s

You did forget to list Brooks in your list as I do think he is still a lock to make the team, he has potential still even as a smaller forward. Also you forgot Ortynski and im not going to comment on him as many of you guys know my feelings on him but hey a year older things can change that's what camp is for right? I really like our forward group this year, has very good size and everyone can skate well, if Stephenson can stay healthy this year both him and Klimchuk should be around the 90pt range. I hope Rodewald took some boxing lessons or some type of fighting lessons, if this guy ever learned how to handle himself in a fight he could be a force, as he skates exceptionally well for a big kid and the guy hits like a truck from his speed. Adding a fighting element to his game would make him very intimidating in our division.

I like all of our possible 16yr old forwards this year I don't think either guy is a wrong pick, unfortunately there will be some guys sent back to midget. I think Berg has a great chance at making this years team then many may give him credit for, seeing him in the spring camp he was a quality player and was 1 of the 1st forwards on each drill to catch on what the coaches wanted to do.

Really wish the camp wasn't opening during the week, makes it tough to attend all day sessions, I may be limited to just the evening skates which kind of sucks. But I wont think twice if a slow day to just park my dump truck and head down to the rink.

PD 114 You are right I forgot Brooks but see him as on the bubble as for the others I did not mention (Mumby Ortynsky) and others are very long shots to be on opening day roster.

I disagree with you on Fenske IMO he is top 4, so you and I can agree to disagree on that.

As far as the tenders Chad L will trade one. Macauley has a lot of playoff experience is a big tender and I just think he may be a late bloomer. Camp will sort that. It may be Sacher / Gora Either way goal tending will not be weak.

Go Pats Go

Iconwhl

I think Brooks showed a lot of promise last year, he wasn't ready for a lot of the minutes he logged last season due to so many injuries. I think the Pats wanted to bring him along abit slower then it worked out but he should be able to take advantage of those minutes he did get last season into his development this year in hopefully taking on a bigger role. He had some good flashes at times of what he could be capable of doing as he matures and hopefully adds some muscle.

I don't think Mumby or Ortynski make our roster out of camp, I see Mumby falling into the same path as Bortsmayer did. I questioned the Pats keeping Mumby last year right out of camp as Donald was 10 times better then Mumby was, now with that said there as rumours Donald wanted to keep his NCAA chances alive which may of been true in why Mumby was on the roster and not Donald but also Harrison I thought was better as well at last years camp but the knock on Harrison was his weight as a WHL Dman so I think Mumby made the roster as a 16yr old on defense by default cause Koberstein was not ready by any means.

This years camp I think will be very interesting, I believe there are a lot of veterns who will be pushed for jobs guys like Hak, Hand, Fenske, Mumby, Ortynski, Gay, D'Amico, & maybe Hunt to some degree as well since he missed a full year of development from his concussions last year. If he gets another 1 early on in the season he can pack his junior career in as 3 of them within a years time is not good for the brain. It would be sad though as Hunt was such a little spark plug for the Pats in his rookie year, was becoming a fan favorite as well.

As for the MacAuley, Sacher, Beukeboom goaltending situation what a great problem to have going into camp, all 3 should be in the WHL this season but realisticly the Pats only have room for 1 of them as I do believe the backup spot will be Gora's...I believe Beukeboom is going to have that fire in his eyes this camp as he wont want to be cut again out of training camp, I think he will push Sacher even more then MacAuley will..... I think the bigger questions will be.... which goalie will be traded 1st and how long do we carry 3 goaltenders into the regular season??

I think if Moodie faulters out of camp the Blades will come calling for 1 of our 19yr old goalies.