Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pats & Warriors swap veterans

Iconwhl Pats & Warriors swap veterans

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang announced the team completed a trade with the Moose Jaw Warriors today. Former First Round (10th Overall) WHL Bantam pick Carter Hansen (’95) comes to the Blue and White. Heading the other way in the deal is veteran forward Jack Rodewald (’94) along with a conditional pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.

Hansen totaled 16 points (7G, 9A) in 69 games in 2012-13, his sophomore season with the Warriors. The Craven, SK product has 122 WHL games to his name and holds 34 points in those contests. In the 2013 Pre-Season Hansen notched two assists in three games of action.

The 6’2”, 195 lbs forward was the captain for Team West at the World U-17 Hockey Challenge in 2012 where he picked up an assist in five games at the annual tournament.

Rodewald suited up for 126 contests in a Pats uniform after being drafted by the team in the eighth round of the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft. The Winnipeg, MB native put up 26 points (13G, 13A) in his time with the Pats and chipped in with two goals in the 2013 Pre-Season.

“We are excited to add Carter to our line-up,” stated Chad Lang. “We feel he fits with the age group we are building around with our hockey club. He’s a responsible player in all three zones and various game situations and we feel he can contribute to our success on the ice. We also want to thank Jack for his contributions to our team and community. We wish him all the best.”

Iconwhl

I don't mind this trade 1 bit to be honest, gives us another 18yr old to build around and we don't lose no size as both players are 6'2 (Hansen 10lbs heavier) but I do feel we lose speed in the trade though as Rodewald is a very good skater for his size & I cant recall off hand how good or bad of a skater Hansen is at this moment.

Great trade, we get a year younger and more skill. We have 2 big 19 yr power forwards in Mckoy and samoridy. Gives us a top 2 line scorer. I see 1 more 19 yr on move to make room for a 16 to play. Defence is what scares me this year.

Iconwhl

Im not sold on more offense from Hansen to be honest but I guess time will tell. Rodewald always got chances but lacked finish, he created a lot on the forecheck from his skating and big hits.

I'll like our defense a lot more if Fenske wasn't part of it lmao but it doesn't look like ill get my wish with that, so looks like Fenske is my new Andrew DeSousa

You keep saying Rodewald lays big hits. If I recall correctly, he was the one last season who would line players up and when he hit them, he'd let up. Unless he looked way different through camp and the rest of preseason, I don't agree with big hits. Definitely potential for them, but would never follow through.

this trade helps make us younger and adds an experienced player at an age we need. Looks like both are very similar size and weight wise, so hope the new teams jump starts both their careers.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Guy View Post
    You keep saying Rodewald lays big hits. If I recall correctly, he was the one last season who would line players up and when he hit them, he'd let up. Unless he looked way different through camp and the rest of preseason, I don't agree with big hits. Definitely potential for them, but would never follow through.
    He may not of had big open ice hits that become more noticable but his hits along the boards with his speed wore Dmen down on a regular basis, he Is 1 of a few guys who always finishes there checks. He may not of had a big hit every game but he threw his share of big hits every 4 or 5 games.

MJ benefits from this trade. Rodewald is going to likely start putting it together sooner or later like we saw early last season, but at the very least he is at the very least a pain in the ass to play against.

Hansen, although he appears to have much more offensive potential, is a player without a position, or even a defined role...and kind of soft, at that. Maybe Lang thinks that means he is versatile, but what I see is a risky move, especially since we couldn't pick a bigger rival to trade with.

Guess we will see. But this could potentially blow up in our face.

Iconwhl

I'm not 100% sold on the trade but getting abit younger is a goal for the pats to move forward in the next few yrs. I have never paid enough attention to Hansen when the warriors came to town to really give any insight on him. All I know about him is what mjw22 has told me last night on the phone. Apparently he was a Dman his 1st year old Bantam & then moved to forward, said he had a big learning curve as a forward entering the WHL. One would think 2 full seasons in this league as a forward practicing virtually every day when there's no game he should be ready for a bigger role here in Regina.

I don't see Hansen a top 6 forward by any means this year, I'm sure he will rotate between lines 3 & 4 & baring any injury could move up here & there onto the 2nd line.

FYI, pats got 1 of there star players back yesterday in Klimchuk, Flames have cleared him to play from his injury. Stephenson is still in Capitals camp & has played 2 preseason games. Can't wait for him to return he adds a lot of skill to our lineup.

I like the trade. The Pats needed to get younger. They had too many 3rd line 19 year olds.

I could never fault Rodewald's effort. Good speed and created enough scoring chances with his speed. The biggest problem is, he doesn't have the hands to capitalize on the chances.

Carter Hansen still has the big 'P' beside his name. He has potential. Good size, decent skater and OK hands. We all know what happens when you start to spiral down the depth chart with a coach, you really don't get out of the hole. This maybe a good fresh start for him. New offensive style coach, new systems and teammates. this just might be what Hansen needs.