Thread: Start of the season

Hybrid View

Default Start of the season

The Rebels had a good start to the season until they went on the road to Calgary. That game was awful. If it were the old days I am sure Sutter would have had them keep their equipment on for the bus ride home. I get they were coming off a game the night before but they looked beat out there, couldn't win a single battle and couldn't hit a fly. The only player from my perspective that was noticeable the entire game was Mpofu.

Icon32

Yes I agree that Mpofu was the most noticeable Rebel. Pawlenchuk & Dixon also had good moments but overall a bad showing by Red Deer. Especially Bartosak who let in two bad goals.
    Yeah I could see Coach Sutter making the players to keep their uniforms on. Still the best coach in junior hockey and I'm sur ethe next visit here will be a closer games (with the Hitmen still winning)

Tough loss for you guys tonight, quick question, did anyone catch the Valcourt incident and was it bad or did he do accidental contact?
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney1988 View Post
    Tough loss for you guys tonight, quick question, did anyone catch the Valcourt incident and was it bad or did he do accidental contact?
    Thanks for the info
    He probably could have passed it off as accidental contact if he hadn't raised his knee up to make sure he caught Bartosak in the head, I assume that is where the major came into play.

It is really going to change the team's direction (as it did two years ago) if Bartosak is out for any length of time.

Okay, so would that a suspendable offense, but hopefully he is alright and comes back soon

Aside from some brief stretches, this season has been an unmitigated disaster. Clearly nobody expected this team to be competing in the top echelon of the conference, but trailing the likes of Kootenay, Regina, Brandon, and even PA is just unacceptable given what this roster is capable of. Take away Bartosak, and we're looking at the Lethbridge Hurricanes out there. Awful home losses to Brandon and Moose Jaw recently after playing their best game of the year vs Calgary and stealing one from Edmonton. This team is nowhere near good enough to be able to take a club like the Warriors (or the Hurricanes for that matter) for granted and still win. Some really abhorrent efforts against Lethy this year too now that I think of it.

At the start of the year I felt that the Rebels would be in a similar position as last year, the 4-5 range. It's still possible, obviously, but not with the inconsistency they are playing with. They are even more (!!) reliant on Bartosak than last year, and if he has anything but his absolute best game you can pretty much chalk it up as a loss. If this continues towards the deadline, I'm totally in favor of Brent getting what he can for Bartosak and, to a lesser extent, Dieno, and look ahead to next season. If they can get a decent goalie for next year and shore up the back end, there's no reason why this couldn't be a very, very dangerous club in the next couple years with the talent a Bartosak/Dieno trade could potentially bring back and the young talent on the roster right now.