Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pats get Boston Leier from MH

Iconwhl Pats get Boston Leier from MH

Pats Acquire Leier from Medicine Hat

Blue and White Acquire Boston Leier from Tigers

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang announced today the team has completed a trade with the Medicine Hat Tigers to acquire 20-year old forward Boston Leier in exchange for a second round WHL Bantam Draft selection in 2016.

In four games this season, the Saskatoon, SK product has two goals. Last year, he tallied 52 points (18G, 34A) while playing in all 72 Regular Season games last season with Medicine Hat.

The 5’11”, 185 lbs left winger is just two games shy of reaching the 200 games played milestone in his fourth WHL Season. Leier also adds 30 games of playoff experience, totaling 12 points (6G, 6A) in those games.

The former 3rd Round WHL Bantam pick was invited to the Washington Capitals’ Training Camp this season before returning to the WHL.

With the acquisition of Leier, the Pats now have one over-age player slot remaining.

The Blue and White are in action Friday against the Broncos in Swift Current. The game can be heard on 620CKRM.com with the broadcast beginning at 6:35 p.m. from the Credit Union I-plex.

Daniel Fink

Director of Media and Communications

Regina Pats Hockey

Iconwhl

I like this trade, the 2nd rd pick isn't until 2016 & if things go as planned for the Pats we should have a pretty good team that year with the rebuild that Lang is going thru right now from building from the draft, so with any luck it would be a late 2nd round pick anyways.

He should add some much needed offense into the Pats lineup, looking forward to Sunday night even more now to watch him in blue & white

Looks like a good trade we get some more scoring punch, by the looks of the division we should be competitive. We will get that pick and maybe more at the trade deadline when we trade the stephensons.

Iconwhl

I know I said it earlier as well about the Pats will most likely move Stephenson come trade deadline but after seeing this trade in giving up a very high pick (even if its not until 2016) one would think Lang wants to make a push to be competitive and secure a spot between 5th & 7th....its still early lots can happen, not saying Leier is the only piece we need but he does make us a better hockey team today no questions about that.

I am surprised Regina made this move....A 2nd is a high price to pay for a 1 year player, moreso with the over-ager deadline just over a week away.

If they don't make the playoffs its a waste of a pick, like Lethbridge's last years acquisition of Rimmer, even though they are good players, it doesn't really make long term sense.

Leier has an impressive work ethic. He is not the flashiest of players but he is pretty quick and built pretty solid. He can be physical , and will get in the odd fight. I thought this year he could potentially be a point per game player. He only had 2 goals this year, but could have easily had 6-7 with the chances he has generated. I think you guys will like him.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Hate giving up a 2nd round pick for a one season player. He does bring some offence and experience but we are giving up a three or four year player. A pick is no guarantee of a player, but a 2nd round is over 50% sure.
    On another matter i'm watching the game on Shaw and the rink in Swift is half empty.
    They interviewed Paul ???? the new Stoon owner's son. He is going to make everyone forget Brent Parker. I'm sure Mulligan will not stay around if he need too put up with him.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by RWAH View Post
    Hate giving up a 2nd round pick for a one season player. He does bring some offence and experience but we are giving up a three or four year player. A pick is no guarantee of a player, but a 2nd round is over 50% sure.
    Like you said its no guarantee the pick will turn into anything just look at Dane Schioler for instance he can not crack the Pats lineup in 2 tries, also its a pick that is 2yrs away no need to worry about that pick anytime soon anyways.

If Leier helps us into the playoffs, think of this trade as a success cause that's what our roster needs most is playoff experience if these 18/17&16 year olds expect to get better

Agree a pick is a pick and no garrentee but I make two points First I think we improved our GM and scouting so if we use the history of a team that had better scouting than we did there are a lot less zeroes for 2nd round picks. Saskatton for ex. 2010 Ayrton Nikkel, 2009 Levi Blews, 2008 Dalton Thrower and Lucas Sutter, 2007 Josh Nicholls very competent players and all 2nd round picks. A 2nd rounder is still a top 44 overall pick.
    I agree that playoff experience is valuable but in 2012 we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for 5 games against Moose Jaw and that playoff experience was shared by only 5 players on our current roster. My point is IMO it is counter productive to trade picks (your future) to make it into 6th,7th, or 8th place and play 5 or 6 games. When was the last time a 7th place team made it to the WHL championship let alone the Memorial Cup.
    One last point is Sam Steel and Luc Smith will need help and that will come from the drafted players in 2014, 2015, 2016
    On the other side is we will likely get some draft picks back at the trade dead line
    Last edited by RWAH; 10-03-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos

Everyone is expecting to sell at the deadline... But lang gives up a 2nd for a forward who hasn't been closer the 20 points from point per game and a rental. I guess my point is I think lang isn't showing the signs of selling

Sttop: I agree there is not a sign of selling. But again I hope we don't became buyers just to be a 7th or 8th place team. (2 home play off game and then the golf course)