Thread: 20 Game Mark Review

Smile 20 Game Mark Review

Well, like Moose Jaw did, I will giving a brief review of how they are doing through 22 games. I'm not a season ticket holder due to school. Please feel free to comment, this board has been a little dead, where is everyone are they on another site?

Forwards: With most of our high-scoring power forwards either departing, pro ranks or by trades this season, we were left with Burns, Valcourt, Revel and Stovin as the only real power forwards on this team. Marked by 90% young guns this season. I have have also noted the tough schedule for these young players. The nice addition of Nikita Sherbak from Russia is currently leads rookie scoring, also tied for power play goals, leads in plus/minus, tied for goals....., possibly up for rookie of the year......, hopefully he keeps it up and and up being drafted.

Defense: Our defence mainly anchoring by 20 year Graeme Craig and Nelson Nogier have seen a complete rebuild on d, with 6 d-man gone from last year. The back end has been streaky at times, but has been solid during others, we will see how the season rolls on, how the young d react.

Goalies: We had started with Nathan Alouf this season, but the acquistion of 19 year Troy Trombley from Tri-City has sent him down, so we are left with Alex Moodie and Troy Trombley. Moodie has started 15 games with a record of 6-7-1-1 and Trombley has started 9 games with a record of 3-3-1. Both have looked streaky and solid at times, but pleasantly surprised so far.

Overall: The Blades have sported a 9-10-1-2 so far which is shock to some fans and critics, thus we all knew this was coming. The team is having a up and down year. They have looked at times to have a fire to win games and others look like falling off the bus......, but we are hoping for the playoffs this year, which would be nice......, but we will see........

i'm pleasantly surprised to see the team in a playoff spot, and they could be higher yet.

as burns and valcourt go so does the rest of the team. those two and the other twenty craig are the engine driving this bus. if one or more of those players should slump, or be injured for a long period of time, the blades will suffer badly.

scherbak has been a nice surprise. i expect his production to fall off as the season goes on, like a lot of european rookies in their first full year, this will be the most hockey he has ever played in a season before. fatigue will take away from his play.

beyond burns, valcourt, and scherbak the blades offense drops off a lot. they have the second highest goals for in the conference, and fourth overall in the league. however those three players account for almost half of the blades goals. not a lot of depth. shut down those three, shut down the team. when the checking gets tighter as the season goes along, expect the blades to struggle, especially if they don't get more scoring outside of burns, valcourt, and scherbak.

defensively the team has lots of work to do and is suffering some growing pains. the forwards need to do a better job supporting in their own zone, the d group as a whole has been unspectacular.

goaltending is streaky. when trombley and moodie are hot they are making the saves to keep their team in the game.

this group doesn't have the experience to half effort games and squeak out a w. they have to give full effort all the time, they are not good enough yet, to half ass it and fluke some wins.

top effort, more scoring outside the big three, better forward support in the defensive zone, and consistent goaltending will get the blades into the playoffs in a year they were expected to be terrible. they are far from terrible. nice surprise this year. they've been a lot of fun to watch.

Default nailed it

Right now we are seeing exactly what happens when the big line goes cold. A lot of that has to do with fatigue already I would think. With Burns particularly (because he also kills penalties) but the other two as well, they have played a ton of minutes. The goofy schedule with three in three 3 times already and again right away, then include some travel, and it has to take its toll. And then of all things they play one game in 13 days! Top it off with the US trip which is 5 in 6 concluding with Portland and I for one would be amazed if those guys aren't taking intravenous fluids between periods.

Quote Originally Posted by franchise View Post
    Right now we are seeing exactly what happens when the big line goes cold. A lot of that has to do with fatigue already I would think. With Burns particularly (because he also kills penalties) but the other two as well, they have played a ton of minutes. The goofy schedule with three in three 3 times already and again right away, then include some travel, and it has to take its toll. And then of all things they play one game in 13 days! Top it off with the US trip which is 5 in 6 concluding with Portland and I for one would be amazed if those guys aren't taking intravenous fluids between periods.
    Totally agree. The other player that is showing fatigue big time is Craig. He has not looked good at all the last 3 home games. Making small mistakes that turn into huge mistakes. Pretty entertaining team to watch though as the effort is at least there most times. I think they have surprised a lot of people winning as much as they have. Would be great to see a playoff spot at the end.