Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyers or Sellers?

Being a Raider fan, I would love to have Dyson Stevenson and Boston Leier in a Raider jersey. We could give you our three 20yr olds for Stevenson and Leier haha.
    And to think, last year Prince George didn't want Dyson. Watch the kid night in and night out and you gain an appreciation of what he brings to the table. He skates well and has decent hands, but most importantly brings the intangibles, grit and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    And to think, last year Prince George didn't want Dyson. Watch the kid night in and night out and you gain an appreciation of what he brings to the table. He skates well and has decent hands, but most importantly brings the intangibles, grit and leadership.
    Dyson Stevenson has always been an eye catcher in Prince Albert. I have noticed watching him that he can score, pass, skate, backcheck, forecheck, hit and fight the best of the best. To me he is one of the players that you hate playing against but would love to have him on your team.

Iconwhl

I think anyone who is a true hockey fan can actually appreicate how Stevenson plays the game. He is the type of player every coach wants on there team, he will get another chance at pro hockey like he did last year in the ECHL I'm sure he will find his way onto a AHL team next season with an amatuer contract.

Here are some mid season stats. The Pats record against the 4 teams above us in the standings (Cal, Edm, SC, and the Hat) 2 wins and 7 losses. And against the 4 teams below us. (Brn, Koot,RD, PA) (Brandon and Kootney are 1 point back and Red Deer and Prince Albert are 4 points off) 2 wins and 7 losses. Against the bottom 3 (MJ, Sask, Leth) we are 10 wins and 0 losses and lastly opposing west division we are 4 wins and 3 losses

After Christmas we play 9 games against the teams currently above us and 15 games against the 4 teams directly below us.

IMO the current standings flatters the Pats as the schedule played mors games against the bottom 3 teams. However we do have a second half advantage with a lot more home games than road games

I still think we need to be careful sellers to upgrade the 17s and strength our 2014 draft
    Last edited by RWAH; 12-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.

While those stats do have some merit, you also have to look at our road games. We have played more than everybody and we have still done well. Some teams havnt even gone through the west conference yet, which is far better this year than us.

And mostly while we have injuries to notable players.

When those players come back and (some)other teams lose theirs to WJRS, we get to play the rest of the season mostly at home. Even if you are partly right, I cant see us being worse than a .500 team, especially if we add a decent player to our depth. Most importantly the mindset around the org is we are doing well and for once have contending aspirations. We should take advantage of it and get some experience for Steel's future linemates and a good sendoff for leier and both the stevensons.

I feel they should wait till they see what they do with some bodies back after the break. This last handful of games, the Pats have been short handed, and lost more players along the way. You could tell Stevenson has been missed the past couple games. Some of these games could have had better results if we had a healthy line up.

Personally, trading Leier and Stephenson would benefit the Pats a lot, and finally be a seller with some great return. On the other hand, Leier has had a lot to do with the Pats work ethic this year. Gradually, everyone started to work a lot harder a lot more often. Leier's hard working attitude has rubbed off on many players, including Stephenson. Chandler came back this season with NHL camp syndrome. The first month, he was really annoying me with his laziness. Now, like I have said before, he has that "Eberle feeling", when every time he has the puck, you know he has a chance of putting it in the back of the net. Having Leier around for the rest of the season, even if the playoffs aren't as long as we would hope, will continue to benefit the team. Not to mention, Zgraggen comes from another winning organization and also knows how to play winning hockey.

With the way the Pats are playing, if they add at least one good defensemen (preferably two), and another forward, the Pats will be in a good position to actually make some noise. Defense has to be a priority though.

Again, they have to use four or five games to decide what they really want to do. I really don't want to see a complete sell off as the Pats are in a MUCH better position than I could have ever imagined at this point. I said the Pats would have to be within the top four to even consider buying, but they have shown they can hang with the big boys, and with some more defense, could even become one of the big boys. I mean, the Pats are only a few games out of first in the division. While the other teams have not been playing so well (PA/SC), the Pats have been getting better.

I'm done babbling for now.

Iconwhl

Fight Guy I agree with everything you have said, especially the Leier part rubbing off on every player in that dressing room that 2nd rd pick we paid for him has been worth it & then some. We needed a player like him to show this franchise the way of what it takes to be a winner. That's actually priceless, I doubt without Leier we are even a .500 team most likely not even in aa playoff spot & down with MJ & Stoon.

We need to improve the 17yr old age group that is no secret, Brooks is not the answer but maybe Schoiler can stick around & give us a bigger body upfront. It will be interesting to see what Lang & Hockey Operations want to do, can tell you know Cameron wants to make the playoffs & will prob be pretty pissed off if he gets stripped of a lot of talent. He is a winner & wants to bring that here & it starts with year 1

It is tough to have your cake and eat it too.

If we buy 2 stud d-men and a forward what is the cost and what do we have to trade. our 2014 draft is currently 1,2,5,7,8,9,,, and no team will trade away a stud d man cheap. minimum will be a promising roster player and a early round draft. We know our 17s are weak so its one of Zimmer, Reagan, Schneider and a 1st round pick.: times 2 or 3. to get the three additions.

SAJ you want support for Steel that will come from the 16s, and 17s and the 2014 draft. buying now is adding 19s and 20s who will not be here when Steel is here but we will give up that support to buy this season.

Play with the big dogs, We are 2 and 7 with the big dogs. we are 2 and 7 with the medium dogs. its the small dogs we have our way with.

We have a home loaded schedule in the second half and are 7 and 3 at home but again that is 4 small dogs, 1 medium 1 big and 1 west conference.

someone talked about the US swing. only Moose Jaw and P A have to make the swing in the new year.

I sure agree the Boston Leier has single handed changed the culture on the team and would love to see him complete the year here.

I am not suggesting a fire sale but we need to acquire a quality 17 or may be 2 and 1 or 2 2014 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks. That could be accomplished in a single player trade if the right team comes calling.

Enough rambling
    Last edited by RWAH; 12-19-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typos

Iconwhl

I don't think anyone wants 2 stud Dmen or even 1 stud Dman, were just looking for alittle size to add alittle depth is all, a perfect guy would be Jensen from MH but who knows where that ship is going.

If we get some D help it will go along ways in competing against the so called BIG DOGS, we have scored more goals this year at the xmas break then I have seen in a very long time we just need some help in keeping them out of the net, Zaggren has helped a lot with that but we need another.

Is Sam Steel injured, haven't seen his name on any stat sheets in the AMHL AAA for a while
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.