Thread: The Forwards 2013-14 - Halfway there

Default The Forwards 2013-14 - Halfway there

Ok, so we aren't really halfway there, but since I don't think a lot of these players are going to still be here by Jan 1st, I thought I would post it a bit early.

I have to admit that I was pretty optimistic coming into the season, when the Kings reassigned Bartosak. I figured they were going to ice a pretty old, experienced team, and make a number of moves prior to the start of the season to take advantage of one last season of elite-level goaltending. When they started the season with twelve rookies on the roster, it became clear that their sights weren't set quite as high as mine, or most of the fans. Things haven't really played out a lot differently than I expected. Bartosak is getting shelled every night, and holding them in some of the games, any sort of forecheck is folding the lines of rookies like a tent, and their inability to clear their zone is creating some really lopsided puck possession numbers. Hopefully Sutter does what he should have done at the start of the season, and move some of the veterans for the future, and give the team an identity, something it hasn't had all season.

The Forwards:

Conner Bleackley (A+) - He has continued his fine form so far, and shows signs of being an elite player. On some nights he single-handedly makes things happen when his line is on the ice.

Evan Polei (B+) - Fantastic pick up so far. Looked a little out of shape when he got started, but seems to get better every game. Have seen guys as big, or bigger than him just bounce off of him when they go to hit him. Excited to see what he will do with a bigger role moving forward.

Dominik Volek (B+) - Something 'flipped the switch' on him after a poor start, and he has made some nice defensive plays, as well as beginning to pot more than just emtpy-net goals. His play even earned him an invite to the Czech world junior team.

Rhyse Dieno (B-) - Has some good games, and some bad games. Has worked a lot on passing more, and has made some nice plays. Not finding the net as much as last season, but he is clearly being asked to do a lot more, and I also don't think he has as much to work with this season.

Cole Chorney (C+) - Was honestly puzzled when they signed him, but he continues to improve and has become quite adept at clogging up the defensive zone and intercepting passes. It has become less scary when he is on the ice.

Grayson Pawlenchuk (?) - Still hasn't played since I last checked in. Hope he can get back on the ice soon and back on track, because he looked fantastic before his injury.

Vukie Mpofu (F) - His blinding speed in training camp has sort of faded into mediocrity against WHL competition. Gets worked on the boards constantly in the offensive zone, is ineffective at backchecking, and isn't really generating much offense. Really doesn't seem to be improving either. If he is a bonafide WHL player, he really needs to start setting himself apart from the other rookies pretty soon.

Meyer Nell (C+) - Basically a similar player to Chorney, but with a few more brilliant scoring chances. Continues to improve.

Brooks Maxwell (C+) - Hard working, versatile forward that is unfortunately having his season ruined by one of his regular linemates. Still an effective penalty killer, but not elite enough skill level to work through what he has had to work through this season.

Christian Stockl (F) - Not really bringing anything to the table that Chorney or Nell aren't doing already as younger players. Hasn't played for over a month due to injury. I don't think his future here looks very bright.

Wyatt Johnson (C+) - Another forward that would probably be having a better season if he were playing in the spot that is being wasted on one of the overage players... Fantastic enthusiasm and energy, and has even added a bit of an edge to his game of late.

Lukas Sutter (F-) - Wins a high number of faceoffs. That's all. Lazily coasts around the ice... Takes stupid offensive zone penalties all the time... Doesn't backcheck... Doesn't generate offense... He has clearly alienated the officials in the league, as the other team can do absolutely anything (especially to him) and not get a penalty when he is on the ice... Really tough situation for Brent to be in as well, as there is some obvious implications to releasing his nephew (can't imagine he could be traded at this point). Complete waste of an overage spot.

Adam Musil (B+) - He has built on his good play, and is seeing his role expanding with each game. Really plays with some sandpaper in his game, which is really promising from a bigger player.

Matt Bellerive (B-) - His scoring has cooled off a little, but he gives the team something that they really need--puck possession. Unfortunately though, he was injured a few games back.

Good write up agree pretty much with everything you said except for Sutter he deserves to be a D minus. ;-)

Didn't include the two games he played after I wrote this (the only two games he has competed at all in this year).

Good thread. My $0.02:

Bleacks - Agree with your rating completely. Is generally the best player on the ice every night, makes things happen at both ends of the arena. My only concern is how he is going to be able to handle the captaincy. It's obvious that leadership and character issues with some of the older guys exist in the room - you got a 20-year-old not wearing a letter at all, another older guy who had his letter taken away in the offseason (Gaudet), and now a 17 year old captain and a 17 year old alternate in addition to Maxwell/Johnson and Sutter. Curious as to how much some of those older guys might listen to a 17-year-old, regardless of the caliber of the game he's bringing.

Polei - Brent has done a really great job the last couple years bringing in seemingly scrap pieces from other clubs and having them come here and play well. He hasn't been outstanding or anything, but he has started to play better than I would have expected.

Volek - Rounding into form really nicely after a terrible start, as you said.

Dieno - Don't know what the problem with him this year has been. As an overager not wearing a letter, I do wonder what he's like in the room and if that has been what has affected him this year. It seems a bit peculiar. Perhaps he's just a quiet type, that's entirely possible. Has been playing fantastic lately, and with the dead weight of Sutter off his line, has been looking like his old self. Had some nice comments in the Advocate the other day about the club turning a corner and bringing their best game every night, but talk is cheap. Time to back it up.

Chorney - Seemed like a complete waste of a roster spot until this rash of injuries, during which he's played some really good and meaningful minutes and even contributing offensively and getting some well deserved PP time. Definitely has started to look like a bonafide WHL caliber player and hopefully continues to improve.

Mpofu - Was invisible till he started playing on a line with Dieno and Bleacks. Now he's scoring goals. Go figure.

Maxwell - Have been seriously disappointed with him this year, especially after the way he ended last year. He's looking (even moreso than Rhyse) like his performance last year was just a byproduct of his liney Elson. I hope he gets back to 100% soon, and also hope he starts to look a bit more like the player he was last year.

Stockl - When he gets healthy, healthy scratch him. Nell, Musil, Chorney, and Pawlenchuk have all pushed their way ahead of him and deserve to be logging minutes ahead of him.

Johnson - Is doing what you'd expect out of Wyatt Johnson. Not overly pleased nor disappointed with his play this year. Actually seems to be having a bit of chemistry with Sutter on his line lately.

Sutter - The Jets have gotta be kicking themselves. I had hoped that the team he was playing on last year was the reason for him going from a 28 goal scorer to struggling to get grind line minutes and that a change of scenery would return him to that form. Before he got hurt he had me excited and thinking that he might be returning to that level. Couldn't have been more wrong. The 4th goal against Brandon the other day was just a microcosm of his play this year, kind of but not really backchecking, and watching two guys go to the Red Deer net and doing nothing about either of them. He actually has looked a lot better lately since being demoted to grind line/PK minutes. I would love if he could figure it out and be the guy the Winnipeg Jets drafted, but that seems less and less likely with every passing game.

Bellerive - Is still the same streaky Bellerive. The best player on the ice some games and absolutely invisible in others.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 01-06-2014 at 12:33 AM.

In regards to Sutter, he didn't do much more last year with the Blades. Seems to play with the attitude of entitlement, not willing to put in the effort. He could be a really good player if he put in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheice View Post
    In regards to Sutter, he didn't do much more last year with the Blades.
    Right, but in his draft year he put up 28 goals and was +15. You don't just suddenly lose the ability to put the puck in the net, so I think what a lot of Rebels' fans were thinking that a simple change of scenery, playing under Brent, and the chip on his shoulder from a horrendous '12-'13 campaign would get him back to that form. Now, clearly that hasn't been the case so far, and I can't speak for everyone, but my expectation was that the real Sutter was one the Winnipeg Jets drafted in the second round, not the one who had 24 points in 72 games last year.

How wrong I was.