Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade deadline talk

Iconwhl Trade deadline talk

Well from reading on here & even on roddy's & phil's blog the fans (even though prob all us same people on here as there blogs) are that the fans want us to be sellers now after a terrible start to the 2nd 1/2 of the year... so with that said lets get the ball rolling here....

With Portland releasing 20yr old Shane McColgan today does that open the door to get the Leier cousins on the same team for a championship run? So Boston Leier to PORT for??? I think all they lost was just there 1st rd picks from the league busting their arses last season but we wouldn't get a 1st rd pick back in return anyways, but a 2nd and a roster prospect player maybe? Guys that are of some interest to me anyways are Ethan Price, Keegan Iverson, Dominic Turgeon, Keoni Texeira & Colton Veloso (who is on a callup during the WJs and is from wpg) In general though the Hawks had some very weak 20yr olds this season they still got ex-Pat Adam Rossignol (8 big pts in 25gp) Haar is pretty solid though.

Another option for the Pats could be Dyson Stevenson to Seattle as they have a 20yr old spot open as well. Maybe a guy like Ryan Gropp (who I mentioned before) & instead of a pick a '98 kid from Saskatoon in Kaden Elder... although im not really sure how serious SEA is about buying as they don't really have a legit #1 goalie there to make a run against teams like Port/Kel/Vic/Evt but with that said don't watch Seattle enough to truly know how good this Danny Mumaugh really is he played a very good game against the Pats when we were though.

As to where Stephenson could end up that is a tough 1 to say right now, maybe Victoria would be looking to add an impact 19yr old. Its the last year euo goalies are allowed in the league & there goalie Patrik Polivka is having a very strong season with a .921SV% 2.43GAA 5SO they could feel its there year to make a serious run & may think they are only a player away from doing that.

For some reason I have this feeling that Braden Christoffer will be dealt, he would be a great depth player for a contending team. He brings energy, physical play, will drop the mits & has a scoring touch. Just think a team may be interested in him, his return wouldn't be that great for us but could maybe land a 18yr old for him.

These are just my thoughts I have no idea who teams may be willing to trade to possibly land guys like Leier, Stevenson, Stephenson... the players listed above are just guys I would like to see come our way is all.....realisticly none of them may not even be moved as they are building blocks for their current team

Not the last year euros can play they just can't be drafted anymore, so when there gone there gone.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Bighat View Post
    Not the last year euros can play they just can't be drafted anymore, so when there gone there gone.
    I could be wrong but I was pretty sure I read that it was the last year no matter what euro goalies can play in the CHL

PD114 - those are some real good observations. Gropp would be a nice acquisition if they would do it. Ethan Bear, Wardley and Douglas are possibles perhaps. McKecknie and Yakubowski have a combined 9 points since they arrived, and I've read on some threads Seattle may be less than happy.

Portland has some talent to spare but few draft picks. Interestingly the picked Carter Cziakowski in the 6th round and Skyler McKenzie in the 8th round. Both players made the Alberta gold medal U16 team, Cziakowski is considered good stuff.

Edmonton just added Orban out of Vancouver for a 2nd round. With Calgary ahead of them and adding Winther, they still might be looking for more. A name like Brett Pollock would be nice.

Kootenay just added King a d-man but are reported to be looking for more scoring. Bozon has been well...meh! Little to give back but maybe Jared Legion and a draft pick may be in play.

Like you stated Medicine Hat needs some offensive help and they have some attractive assets.

Both Swift Current and P.A. could still be in play for the likes of Stephenson, and both have their 1st round picks available.

Spokane and Kelowna rarely deal. Victoria and Everett might.

The Orban trade is interesting in that Vancouver feels with their system play and lineup they will easily hold on to a playoff spot without Orban. Kamloops and PG aren't likely to make a push.

I agree Christopher could be trade bait. He is feisty and has 20 points or so. He would also be a 20 year old next season. Is he impact enough to take one of the spots? Perhaps he could be wrapped into a deal for Erkamps. With the arrival of Mortlach and Harrison perhaps Mumby could be in play for a bigger more experienced d-man.

As has been discussed, there might not be any movement due to the building blocks. I for one don't see a lot of blocks that really excite me. Few drafted and evidently no one on CS's radar. If we hold and fail to make the top 8 the screams will be loud and long. If we make a spot and bow out in 5 games like last time there will still be disgruntled fans saying we let another opportunity slip away.

Lang is usually ahead of the curve in deals. With this lag it suggests maybe he doesn't want to deal out, or perhaps he can't. Lets not forget ownership still calls the shots and may be be happy with two playoff gates, providing attendance reaches expectation. It's the walk-ups that put you over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    PD114 - those are some real good observations. Gropp would be a nice acquisition if they would do it. Ethan Bear, Wardley and Douglas are possibles perhaps. McKecknie and Yakubowski have a combined 9 points since they arrived, and I've read on some threads Seattle may be less than happy.

Portland has some talent to spare but few draft picks. Interestingly the picked Carter Cziakowski in the 6th round and Skyler McKenzie in the 8th round. Both players made the Alberta gold medal U16 team, Cziakowski is considered good stuff.

Edmonton just added Orban out of Vancouver for a 2nd round. With Calgary ahead of them and adding Winther, they still might be looking for more. A name like Brett Pollock would be nice.

Kootenay just added King a d-man but are reported to be looking for more scoring. Bozon has been well...meh! Little to give back but maybe Jared Legion and a draft pick may be in play.

Like you stated Medicine Hat needs some offensive help and they have some attractive assets.

Both Swift Current and P.A. could still be in play for the likes of Stephenson, and both have their 1st round picks available.

Spokane and Kelowna rarely deal. Victoria and Everett might.

The Orban trade is interesting in that Vancouver feels with their system play and lineup they will easily hold on to a playoff spot without Orban. Kamloops and PG aren't likely to make a push.

I agree Christopher could be trade bait. He is feisty and has 20 points or so. He would also be a 20 year old next season. Is he impact enough to take one of the spots? Perhaps he could be wrapped into a deal for Erkamps. With the arrival of Mortlach and Harrison perhaps Mumby could be in play for a bigger more experienced d-man.

As has been discussed, there might not be any movement due to the building blocks. I for one don't see a lot of blocks that really excite me. Few drafted and evidently no one on CS's radar. If we hold and fail to make the top 8 the screams will be loud and long. If we make a spot and bow out in 5 games like last time there will still be disgruntled fans saying we let another opportunity slip away.

Lang is usually ahead of the curve in deals. With this lag it suggests maybe he doesn't want to deal out, or perhaps he can't. Lets not forget ownership still calls the shots and may be be happy with two playoff gates, providing attendance reaches expectation. It's the walk-ups that put you over the top.
    PD114, I misread your last line. The incoming players if that were the case are indeed all building blocks for their respective teams. Because of Portland's predicament they have no picks to spare. A guy like Leier who may be a 45-50 goal man won't come cheap. Probably two roster players at the least.

or we get a goalie that can stop a volleyball instead of pawning off anyone with value like we actually are friggin lethbridge.

You guys should tape up your ankles because this team has potential. Its just a bad stretch, and quite frankly even if the goaltending improves a bit, it is still the team's weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    or we get a goalie that can stop a volleyball instead of pawning off anyone with value like we actually are friggin lethbridge.

You guys should tape up your ankles because this team has potential. Its just a bad stretch, and quite frankly even if the goaltending improves a bit, it is still the team's weakness.
    When it comes to the Pats over the past decades, if I had a buck for every time I've heard the word potential I'd be a bloody millionaire. That word makes me sick. I seen it over the late 80's, all of the 90, 2000's, 2010, onto where we are today. I seen numerous GM's and coaches use that word and it all adds up to a steamy pile of BS plain and simple! What it hasn't translated to is a conference or league championship, not even close. The thing about the word potential is potential to do "what?". There are some out there who are totally satisfied with this perpetual flirtation with .500. I am not one of those. I've supported them for decades waiting for them to return to excellence, but it gets harder every year.

Right now we're a .500 team with a bunch of holes. We're not deep enough to win much. It's time fix the holes and assemble the kind and numbers of "talent" we're going to need to become championship calibre. That means sell and move on.

What is Steel's latest injury he suffered at the Mac? If it makes you feel any better, Nolan Patrick is also out with another shoulder injury....
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Iconwhl

Normally SAJ I agree with like 99% of your comments but have to disagree with the last comment. Yes the team may have potential but even getting a goalie wouldn't translate in even a 2nd place finish in our division we would still be a 7th or 8th place finish maybe & a big maybe a 6th place finish.

We won't get Stephenson back next year as I'd say there is a 85% chance he goes to the AHL that isn't a good enough chance for us to keep him around for a chance at a stud of a 20yr old. So keep him for what a couple home playoff games & lose him to the pro's & get nothing for him to help us in the future. Like chopper I have seen this movie before infact I own a few copies of it & don't want anymore.

We still maay make the playoffs even with a sell off & get the same amount of games in playoffs so where is the advantage here? I just don't see it & yes that is my opinion which I'm entilted too just like you are as well

I have this feeling after tomorrow night when Klimchuk is expected back that things will go good & the fans will make an 180 degree turn on the direction we neeed to take but I'm not going to change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    What is Steel's latest injury he suffered at the Mac? If it makes you feel any better, Nolan Patrick is also out with another shoulder injury....
    Nobody wants to see any kid hurt and all we can hope is that they both fully recover soon.

If memory serves me right Steel had a shoulder issue before and got back just before the Mac's. I don't know what his current issue is but unless these shoulder issues are dealt with they can linger. Steel needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room building up his upper body and putting on 10 lbs.