Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade deadline talk

Quote Originally Posted by Bighat View Post
    I heard from a good source last nite that the Regina Pats have been sold. Announcement to follow trade deadline. Well let's hope that this is true.
    The thought crossed my mind that if indeed the Pats were sold, it conceivably could have an impact on how little Lang has done so far. Think about it; nearly every contending team in the eastern conference has made a reasonably big splash. The Pats have not. Could it be that an outgoing owner might want a few home game receipts to offset costs and maybe put a little in the jeans? Could it be that direction was given is to stand pat and try to make playoffs? Just random thoughts.

From signals being put out there, the likelihood of selling much at this point appears slim. With a home game tomorrow a trade for a top 6 forward and another d-man should have been done by now. Particularly if it would involve roster players. Although it's been strangely quiet league wide with only two trades up on the trade tracker. But again with most contending teams strengthening up, the Pats appear to be falling behind in that regard.

I could wrong about the situation but with less than 24 hours till close, if anything happens it will have to be a deadline deal.

Iconwhl

theres been a few trades today...

TO SEATTLE
    Russel Maxwell
    TO LETHBRIDGE
    Michal Holub
    4th rd 2014

TO PORTLAND
    Corbin Boes
    TO LETHBRIDGE
    Steven Alldridge
    Shane McColgan
    2nd rd 2014

TO VANCOUVER
    Domink Volek
    TO RED DEER
    4th Rnd '15
    3rd Rnd '16

The Pats should be doing something but god you would think Lang would do something already before anyone worth while is gone.... or teams fill up there team needs and we cant move the guys who have value to us

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    theres been a few trades today...

TO SEATTLE
    Russel Maxwell
    TO LETHBRIDGE
    Michal Holub
    4th rd 2014

TO PORTLAND
    Corbin Boes
    TO LETHBRIDGE
    Steven Alldridge
    Shane McColgan
    2nd rd 2014

TO VANCOUVER
    Domink Volek
    TO RED DEER
    4th Rnd '15
    3rd Rnd '16

The Pats should be doing something but god you would think Lang would do something already before anyone worth while is gone.... or teams fill up there team needs and we cant move the guys who have value to us
    I am totally with you on that one. With everyone around us powering up, what is it we are gunning for? The East Division crown or a playoff spot? If we do nothing neither could happen. Maxwell was a guy I liked and his price reasonable. I am completely at a loss on this one. Completely! The deals we need to make can only be described as mid-range type deals, yet we seemingly can't get that done. There is still some opportunity but time and players are running out.

Iconwhl Lang interview with Phil Andrews

The Western Hockey League trade deadline is less than 24 hours away. Friday afternoon at 1 PM is the time when all deals must be filed to the league for approval. The Pats are in the thick of the talks ahead of the final horn and I had a chance to sit down with Senior VP and GM Chad Lang to talk about the final few hours leading up.

On what he expects before Friday with so many deals already having been done.

"As you've seen there have been a number of transactions in the league, the majority of those involving 20 year olds and guys looking to acquire 20 year olds. Unfortunately there wasn't fits there for our hockey club. As I indicated going into it we really like our three 20 year olds, for us to do anything in that way would have to either be a significant upgrade for our team right now or in the future. We are still fielding calls and we will see what the next 24 hours brings."

Are you approaching the deadline in a way that you want to add to this team?

"Well we've always said from day one that we will continue to try and tinker with the lineup and fill some gaps if there is that possibility but when you look around the league and the lack of depth around the league it makes it tough. There's few sellers on the market, there's a lot of guys trying to buy or add some depth to their lineups. Again if something comes in the last wee hours that wows us that we cant refuse then definitely we will consider it. But as we move forward into today and tomorrow we will continue to evaluate some of the players on the table and see if they can help our hockey club."

Have you had offers for some of the older guys?

"I can honestly says I have had dialogue with two teams regarding a couple of our older players. We had an offer provided to us including a couple of draft picks but not picks and yet not picks of any magnitude. When you start talking about those types of players and I think the standard has been set in the league with 1st round picks being moved but we have not been offered a 1st round pick, nor a 2nd round pick. I'm not moving those players out of our roster just for the sake of a pick. It would have to be a player that can step in and contribute and help us int he future."

On his confidence moving forward if no trade materializes.

"We haven't had the second half start that we wanted and yet there's a number of factors that play into that. But were not going to make excuses, we know as a hockey club in order for us to have success we need to play 60 minutes and we need everybody contributing. I thought last night that it showed when our teams playing we can have good results. We got secondary scoring from guys and I thought we moved the puck exceptionally well and played with speed. At the end of the day its not from a lack of trying to add to this team or to upgrade this team. We have spent numerous hours int he office dealing with teams and you need a dance partner. if that dance partner comes in the next 24 hours then we will aggressively pursue it but if it doesn't there's not a lot we can do. We have explored options, we've explored some different things but I've always said it has to be a fit for our hockey club this year and into the future."

The WHL Trade deadline is 1PM Regina time Friday, keep it locked here and on 620 CKRM for all the coverage.

I like it that he isn't willing to move a player just for the sake of getting a draft pick, if its not a quality draft pick there is no reason to even make a trade. My opinion if were not getting a 1st round pick and a quality prospect for Stephenson there is no reason at all to even consider trading him.. Same goes for Leier/Stevenson if there isn't deals on the table as the same as other 20yr olds like a 2nd round pick and a 17 or 18yr old roster player there is no reason to trade him either.

We have some of the top 20 year olds in the League. One approaching the top 10 in scoring. If there isn't a 1st round (or two 2nd round) + a young roster player in play, then of course there is no point or value in moving them. They are more valuable to the club.

I felt strongly for the past few days that none of the top four would be moved. I also felt after the Marincin debacle Lang would be reluctant to buy big. Based on last year he decided to stand pat after acquiring Samoridny. It's worth noting to where we finished and where Samoridny is now. We didn't strengthen our club one bit.

Accepting we will not be sellers, we haven't even been moderate buyers. Lang has repeatedly said he wants another d-man and a top 6 type forward. He may have to go out of his comfort zone to get those guys. Roster names like Maguire, Brooks, Christopher, Mumby, could be in play for deals we need to make. You have to give to get. I think there would be takers.

With PA, Swift Current, and Brandon (Pilon deal) powering up, we're the only team that hasn't. Unless they move Bartosak and others, it could end up being a fight between us and Red Deer for the final spot. Bartosak vs MacAuley is a match up I wouldn't want once Brent whips them into shape..

Just noted Red Deer has picked up Aspen Sterzer for Bellerive. Bellerive wasn't producing too much, however Sterzer is producing and is good defensively as well. It looks like Red Deer is stiffening up for a bit of a run as well.

Red deer stole that deal away from us. We need to make some moves. Buy buy buy buy no sell sell sell. Just do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighat View Post
    Red deer stole that deal away from us. We need to make some moves. Buy buy buy buy no sell sell sell. Just do something.
    Yup..something happened on the way to the trade deadline. Red Deer got better. Pretty soon there will be nothing on the board, if there isn't already. Lost a 3rd round pick for Pilton, and we couldn't trade him for a bag of pucks. No picks available to make deals.

I truly don't see much if anything happening. If it doesn't involve roster guys then ...zippo!

the scouts from Edmonton have been in the Brant Centre lately and I think now that Calgary got Tambilini (spelling) Edmonton may still want to upgrade their o-fence so a deal could still be completed. If its Leier going that way "Riley Keiser would come our way. Edmonton has lost their 2nd pick in 14 and their 6th in 15. As Chopper said need to exchange the 20s plus a young gun rooster player and a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'm sure they have been talking, the pot may improve to a point were a deal can be completed

Rankin would have been a nice fit