Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Second Half -- 2013-14

Hybrid View

Default The Second Half -- 2013-14

Time to reflect on the year so far and see how we did compared to last year.

On Dec 31, 2012 after 38 games, the Raiders were 0.607 with 24W 11L 0OTL 3SOL.

Pretty good record.

But, the cracks were beginning to show, with a powerplay that was hovering around the worst in the league and the team going 0.500 before Christmas after being just shy of 0.700 in the previous month.

Then came 2013.

After Jan1, in 34 games, the team went 0.441 with 13W 17L 3OTL and 1SOL. The powerplay finished worst in the league. The team lost 4 straight to Red Deer in the first round.

Cue 2013/14.

As of December 31, 2013, the Raiders have played 39 games and own a record of 0.539 with 20W 17L 2OTL and 0SOL. Their powerplay is 3rd in the league.

Not bad for the 1st half...but the Raiders had a disappointing 3 wins in 11 games for a record of 0.272 in December.

So, the first 1/2 was worse (record-wise) than last year's first 1/2 but far better than the 2nd 1/2.

Since Christmas some trades have been made, the team is 0.800 and is looking forward to their 5 regular players returning from international play.

Can the Raiders go over 0.500 for the rest of the season? Can they win the Division title?

Time will tell the tale...

-Wapitikev

The boys really missed Leon and Josh last night. And Leverton in for Zaharizchuk turned sour on the team as well.

The team sits at 0.660 since X-mas, but has only 1 win in their last 3 games. 0 for 4 on the powerplay last night against the conference leaders, they are 0 for 7 since January 1st. The full game effort they displayed in their first 3 games back, after the break, was not in evidence in the last three games, despite being enough for a win against Lethbridge and playing a tired Calgary team that was on their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Some bright-spots were evident, however. Once again, the younger Mackenzie played better (albeit with fewer minutes) than the older one. Brooks tallied another goal to stay over a point/game since the trade. Valcourt, laying prone on the ice, had an amazing Ovechkin-esque shot go off the bar, and Andrlik got his first goal of the season.

Beginning Friday, 6 of the next 7 games are against division opponents: Brandon (x2), Saskatoon, Regina and Swift (x2 with a Red Deer game in between). Game 3, 4, and then 5 against Swift current all take place on consecutive nights, so the team will be tired facing the division leaders on the 19th.

The team's performance from the 10th to the 24th could easily set the stage for the rest of the season, good or ill.

A 7 game sweep would be an excellent start to the playoff push.

Heh.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 01-08-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Awesome trade! I was looking at Craig last night. Colour me happy!

Regarding the Swift Current game on the 19th, just looked at the Bronco's schedule before that game.

They play 3 in 3 nights as well, and they are away to Brandon Friday, home to play Kootenay on Saturday and then travel to PA on the Sunday against us.

So they'll be at least as tired as we will.

Hope springs eternal!

-Wapitikev

morrissey and Lange really struggled last night. Morrissey basically gave up a break away to take a 2 on 1 away that gave Brandon there 1st goal. 2nd goal was from Lange pinching . I haven't seen them so rattled. Chevy played a strong game. Valcourt will figure out that while playing with leon he needs to be ready to shoot . Craig added a much needed demension to the back end. And looked good on pk pp and even strength. Guhle might be strong more often now. I thought big mac was better then coughlan as well. Hope we take 2 more points tonight

No McBride on Saturday.

Disappointed.

-Wapitikev

Default Will the Raiders make the playoffs

Right now this team does not look like a playoff team let alone a playoff contender. This coach was brought in to win. A better team then last year and a worse record Is it time to can the coach and let someone else try to salvage a playoff berth

Fire the assistant coach, must be his fault.

Default Rant and venting

Time for a house keeping. Get rid of the trash Cory clueless can get out of here for good. Bruno should do the honourable thing and go back to the lower mainland where he wants to be anyway it's a shame what he has done with this club his 5 year plan has been a disaster. 1st round pick for a 20yr old jr B backup quality goalie is probably one of raiders all time worst trades. It ranks up there with leaving VN Impe unprotected in the expansion draft or Brule for Gauthier years ago there was a reason Cory Clueless got dumped in Brandon Where the hell is McFee to own up to his mess. I wish he would show the same concern with this team as he does with prisoners meal plans

Default What/Is Something Wrong? Solutions?

Well.... The Raiders are 22-22-2-0 with 46 pts good for 9th spot in the Eastern Conference.

Back on October 15 of this year I questioned the early performance of the Raiders and how it related to the systems and direction of CC. I was mildly chastised (maybe rightly so) by Wapitikev for my opinions and was told that the sky was not falling. At that time Wapitikev predicted a 96 point season and East Division title for the Raiders based on the Raiders winning percentage. As much as I wanted him to be right for the Raiders sake, they would now have to win 25 of the remaining 26 games to achieve his predicted 96 point total.

There is no question in my mind that the Raiders have had the potential (even more so now with trade additions) to be a successful team.

I am interested in getting opinions as to what happened to get us to our current 9th place spot. Where do people think we will go in the next 26 games. This team was once ranked 2nd in the country but now has not been in the CHL top 10 in some time. What happened? Is coaching the issue? Is it the systems? Are these even to blame? Looking at Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Portland - what is a reasonable expectation for the Raiders with 26 games remaining.

Is the recent 3 game performance (topped off by a 7-0 loss to SC) indicative of CC having lost the team. Would a coaching change (giving it over to Leonard or Manson) lead to improvement this year? Is it a requirement in order to prevent further draft picks from failing to report to PA. Should a change have been implemented sooner?
    Last edited by BillyBean; 01-20-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Imo clouston has lost the room. Yesterday in the paper he called out both goalies. McBride has not played in a game since Dec 13th . how can he be at fault for being rusty. Chevy has played a ton in the last 2 months so fatigue is prob a factor as well. But Cory had parentau called up and never let him see the ice. What does it hurt to give him a couple games. Worst case scenario he fails . best case he gives you another option. On a positive note I am very impressed with the work Manson has done with big mac. Imo he was one of the better dmen the last 2,games. In regards to coaching I would like to see Leonard running the game. Keep clouston behind the scenes for the year and bring in a young assistant coach. Maybe one of the alumni that is still around like seitsenen
    Last edited by Sttop; 01-21-2014 at 10:39 AM.