Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The Second Half -- 2013-14

Pretty obvious when Edmonton doesn't even post the winning goal on their video replays that there was a botched icing call that resulted in Edmonton's 4th goal. These officials have got to stop assuming the period will end uneventfully when they don't whistle down an obvious call in the last 10 seconds of a period, just because they're ready for the intermission break & don't want to skate the length of the ice for another face-off. That goal with 4 seconds left in the 2nd when everyone in the building and watching online knew the play was dead was a killer & affected the outcome of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by puckdad View Post
    Pretty obvious when Edmonton doesn't even post the winning goal on their video replays that there was a botched icing call that resulted in Edmonton's 4th goal. These officials have got to stop assuming the period will end uneventfully when they don't whistle down an obvious call in the last 10 seconds of a period, just because they're ready for the intermission break & don't want to skate the length of the ice for another face-off. That goal with 4 seconds left in the 2nd when everyone in the building and watching online knew the play was dead was a killer & affected the outcome of the game.
    The icing call was botched. However, we can make excuses for a game that's in the books or we can find solutions. I watched the game and that 1 blown call was not the cause of the loss.

On one of the goals against the puck is dumped into the Raiders corner and Andrlik (as he has done all year) refuses to go into the corner 1st to take a hit to make a play. Instead he lets the EDM player go into the corner 1st, tries to hit him, misses and boom the puck is in the net. On 2 of the other goals Big Mac is spinning like a ballerina net front, watching the puck move through the crease, instead of taking a man stick on stick.

The shots were 43-24 in favour of Edmonton. Chevy had a hell of a game in relief. The bottom line is that the Raiders 3,4,5 D (they don't even play Coghlan more than 2 shifts a period) were no match for EDM F's. DZ coverage was back to where it was in losing streak. EDM had long periods of controlled play in Raiders DZ through either controlled entry or dump entry. When we do have the puck, the Raiders need to have more controlled entry and less dump entry so that they can establish periods of puck control in the OZ (which of course means puck isn't in their DZ). They in essence are playing a passive forecheck game/trap on EDM. Dumping the puck is a waste of time if that is how you are going to forecheck. Controlled OZ entries are the way to go. They need more production out of the Raiders F's. We cannot rely on the 1st and maybe 2nd F lines all the time.

Score aside - the Raiders were outplayed both in scoring chances and shot attempts.

I really hope they are able to turn it around in today's game. Hope Chevy continues his turn around.

There's no doubt Edm is the better team . basically a team with 6 star players and good role players that can lay a hit . to hack on two rookie defencemen that are forced into playing 25+ mins game is wrong. Without those 2 the raids have no sniff of playoffs. Both played very well in the blades and rebels games. If you think rookies without playoff exp aren't going to make mistakes quit watching because it will continue. Unless craig is able to play the kids have to eat to much ice time in to many situations .

Quote Originally Posted by Sttop View Post
    There's no doubt Edm is the better team . basically a team with 6 star players and good role players that can lay a hit . to hack on two rookie defencemen that are forced into playing 25+ mins game is wrong. Without those 2 the raids have no sniff of playoffs. Both played very well in the blades and rebels games. If you think rookies without playoff exp aren't going to make mistakes quit watching because it will continue. Unless craig is able to play the kids have to eat to much ice time in to many situations .
    Not hacking at all. Was simply responding to post that said a botched icing call was the cause of the loss. The loss of course was not caused by botched icing call but was caused by multiple factors - as they always are...

I agree totally with your comments that the young D (and F's) are doing their best in the situation they have been placed in. Truth is, they made mistakes that did not cause the loss by themselves but were one of many things that led to the loss.

If you've read some of my previous posts you'll know I am not a big fan of the Raiders systems that have been implemented, nor am I a big fan of the results the systems have achieved, nor am I a fan of the player management.

Think about how good those young D (or F's) could be playing now (when it counts) if they were allowed to play bigger minutes earlier in the year (when it didn't count as much).

Perfect examples are Aaron Irving (1st rnd - 9th overall) and Dysin Mayo (3rd rnd - 57th overall) of the Oil Kings. These are 2 young 96 D men that were groomed throughout the season with appropriate minutes and situational play. Dysin Mayo had 1G, 1A and was +3 in yesterday's game. Then there is Ryan Pilon (1st rnd - 3rd overall) D 96 1G, 1A +2 in yesterdays game. Travis Sanheim (9th rnd - 177th overall) and Ben Thomas (3rd rnd - 45th overall) 96 D D from Hitmen who combined had 1A and were +4 yesterday. Jordan Steenbergen 96 D and Troy Murray 97 D in Kootenay. Brett Pollock 96 F OilKings (2G, +1) last night 25G,30A +18 during year (5th rnd, 97th overall). I guess young D and F's if developed properly can contribute to a team!

Your point is well taken; Guhle, Big Mac, Andrlik and even Coghlan are doing their best for how they were managed and developed. I just think it could have been wayyyyyyy better. It's not just the D either. Quinney, Genarro, Zaharichuk, Vanstone, Leverton -could be or could have been significant depth contributors as younger inexperienced players - if given development ice-time throughout the year. Its not just games played but number of minutes and situational play.

The Raiders have been wound so tight this year and focused on wins and losses that they have forgotten that their still needed to be development of young talent for later in the year and years to come. I get it - this was a make or break "do or die" year and they made tough decisions. They fired the old coach brought in a new coach, made big trades at trade deadline, made tough decisions with going with an older team. They were pegged to be tops in the Eastern Conference at the beginning of the year. But in the end they finished in a tie-breaker fighting for last place in the Eastern Conference. I would say that the decisions didn't work as well as had been hoped.

I'm glad that the Raiders are in the playoffs - but I am also a realist. This season currently cannot be judged as a success based on realistic expectations and team depth. Going a few rounds in the playoffs may help BUT I hope the fan base gets over their playoff "high" when it is done and looks at the season in an analytical fashion.

Next year they have 7 20 yo - of which 4 or more will have to be moved. That's a quarter to a third of the roster. The rest of the younger players haven't seen enough situational or enough minutes of ice to really warrant calling them veterans next year. The mistakes you see now by the younger players will be the mistakes that you will see at the beginning of the year. The team will be younger and more inexperienced next year unless some innovative off-season trades happen.

The current players are the product of their environment. They are what they are. I just don't want to hear that a ref's call caused us to lose the game.

I want the Raiders to kick butt in the future but blaming superficial things doesn't get to the root of the problem and certainly won't help in fixing them.

Go Raiders!
    Last edited by BillyBean; 03-23-2014 at 01:28 PM.

I couldn't agree more. Quinney and Gennero are the prime example. THey hasn't progressed since training camp. But haven't been given the opportunity or playing time. Both should have been key players next year. As for 20 year old next year I would think Bruno plays it different then most expect. I have a feeling he keeps Danyluk, Brooks and Braid. Odd choice's I know but I think he keeps Brooks and Dany for work ethic and good all around play. I think they need Braid up front as well. But most importantly Hart,Conroy , and Lange would fetch decent returns via trade. I could see Conroy staying if Leon is back though. Let's just cross our fingers the 20 year old goalie experiment is over.

Fact is that with the icing call, the 4th goal doesn't happen. In both the Raider's wins in Edmonton, they were outplayed, outshot, & outchanced, similarly to Game 1 of this series, but still managed to squeak out a win. I agree with everything else in your post, especially the statement that our systems all season long do not seem to match the skill set of this group of players.

At the risk of repeating myself, the WHL should be extremely proud of the quality of it's on-ice officials.

-Wapitikev

Quote Originally Posted by Wapitikev View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, the WHL should be extremely proud of the quality of it's on-ice officials.

-Wapitikev
    Need solutions, not excuses! I see that on social media everyone is saying that the refs didn't make several calls that would of given the Raiders PP's that would have led to them winning the game? I guess it's a big conspiracy of the WHL against the Raiders? I guess everyone has a crystal ball that showed them the outcome?

I see in the media that these excuses are coming from the management on down. That's great leadership from the top and a perfect way to lead by example! It is precisely this kind of rhetoric that will prevent this franchise from ever becoming successful.

It is this "blame the refs crap" that is taking away from what was a good/gritty performance by the Raiders players. Don't get me wrong I don't like the calls anymore than the next fan but *****ing doesn't change a thing.

The refs were the same for both teams and I saw several missed calls that could have gone against the Raiders. The Raiders were 0-3 in their PP last night and although odds say they would be due if they had more PP's we really don't know that for sure.

If the fans want to vent their anger maybe the should use that energy in asking the question of why a team that was supposed to finish within the top 3 of the Eastern Conference had to play a playoff tie-breaker to finish 8th and end up playing (and possibly being swept by) essentially one of the 2 best teams in the WHL in the first round of the playoffs.

It's not the refs fault that the Raiders are where they are. The fans need to start asking quality hockey questions as to why this season was not as successful as last season. Changes were made last year because last year was "not successful". Yet this year they have a worse record and most likely the same playoff result yet I assume there was a greater monetary investment in coaching with a more high profile former NHL coach.

Fans need to think of an iceberg. What they r seeing is the tip of the iceberg and they need to cut through the rhetoric and ask questions to see how much crap is below the waterline. Otherwise expect the Titanic for the next few years.

who cares where we should have been. (if that's the case then oilers should have the cup right now) Were here to support the team now and the off season is when changes can be made. and if you think that reffing was of whl standards you need to open your eyes. Bbylow and Willams. 3 helmets knocked off the raiders no call, two hand slash takes stick out of hand not called. and yes there were calls for the oil kings not called and why were they not called ???????

There are players that simply need to be better. For all you big Mack lovers I agree he has improved over the year but not to the point where he should be playing as much as he is. IMO he shouldn't be playing PK, PP or 4 on 4. I was in Edmonton for both games where he was picked apart. Last night on the goal to make it 3-3 he was dangled out of his shorts to say the least. Andrilik needs to be way better then he has been (TAKE THE HIT TO MAKE THE PLAY ITS PLAYOFFS.)
    On edmontons 2nd goal it was a 3 on 2 because the Raider forward didn't hustle to pick up his man.
    The Raiders need to come tonight with a full 60 minutes and a few players need to dig a little deeper....and STEP UP!!!!!!