Thread: Giants 2 Rockets 4 - Jan 4th, 2014

Default Giants 2 Rockets 4 - Jan 4th, 2014

I wish I could have listened to this one, sounds like it had some edge to it.

Rockets Scorch Giants
    Vancouver 2 Kelowna 4

I wasn’t able to listen to this one, but by the stats columns and the type of penalties which were called it appears to have been a battle. The Giants won the special teams game holding the Rockets to 0 for 5 and scoring their only two goals with the man-advantage. The Rockets were too much for the Giants pounding 36 shots on the G-Men’s goal, slipping 4 past Payton Lee.

Kelowna opened the scoring mid-way through the first. The Giants responded on the PP late in the period. Cain Franson found twine behind Jordon Cooke, assisted by Brett Kulak and Carter Popoff. The Rockets took the lead early in the second, but the Giants used another PP chance to even it up not long after. Alec Baer scored his 6th of the season assisted by Kulak and Dalton Thrower. Kelowna retook the lead late in the second and then added another early in the third holding the fort the rest of the final frame for the win.

Team Notes: Sward and Lofthouse still out of the line-up. Ronning still away as the U-17 tournament wraps up, bringing home a silver. Team Pacific has been in the Gold Medal game multiple times, but has yet to earn more than silver in that tournament.

Fight Night: Tim Traber v Tyrell Goulbourne (x2) – first fight at the 20:00 mark of the first period. Second tilt coming 15:01 into the second. Would love to hear details.

Zebra Cage: Derek Zalaski and Mark Pearce – lots of roughing, and other nasty calls. Trzonkowski gets tagged for a double minor for spearing late in the third period. Lots of crosschecks and interference calls.

The Rockets out shot the Giants 36-23. The home team went 0 for 5 on the PP, while the visiting Giants went 2 for 5, getting all of their goals in the game with the man-advantage.

The Giants play their third in three today versus the Tri-City Americans back at the Coliseum. I expect Jared Rathjen will get the start. The puck drops at 5pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Myles Bell
    2. Jesse Lees
    3. Brett Kulak
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

From the looks of Traber at the game tonight against TC he looks like he got the worst of the fight by far. I saw him n the concourse and his eye was swollen shut and had a nasty cut.

Once again, Lee let in a back breaking goal. A weak backhand from behind the goal line caught Lee who wasn't hugging the post.

As for the Traber-Goulbourne fights, both were wins by Goulbourne. Traber was a bloody mess after the 2nd fight. It's annoying because it seems like the Rockets are always a top team in the league with better enforcers than the Giants. Traber hasn't looked great this season. I wish Geertsen would fight more, but that's obviously not his game.
    Last edited by Giantsfan; 01-06-2014 at 03:00 AM.