Thread: Bellerive, Volek dealt

Default Bellerive, Volek dealt

Rebels trade Bellerive and a '14 3rd for Aspen Sterzer. Pretty ambivalent about this deal. Bellerive's streakiness and difficulty creating his own offense has worn thin; that said, I know nothing about this Sterzer kid, but given his career numbers I have a hard time believing he's worth Bellerive and a 3rd. Smells like a case of good numbers on a garbage team. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Volek dealt for a '15 4th and a '16 3rd. Although it doesn't signify that Sutter is officially waving the white flag, it's definitely a sign in that direction. Sutter turning a guy who never played for the Pats (Vasko) and a guy who quit the team (McCoy), and a conditional pick into two pretty decent picks works for me. Still makes the team worse in the short term obviously.

After this season and the first two games of this roadie tacked onto that, I'm pretty much game for anything, change-wise.

I guess Brent wasn't quite as "happy with the forwards" as his comments in the Advocate would indicate. No surprise there, but I am very disappointed the trade of a two top-6 forwards didn't net any help on the back end.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 01-09-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Rebels trade Bellerive and a '14 3rd for Aspen Sterzer. Pretty ambivalent about this deal. Bellerive's streakiness and difficulty creating his own offense had worn thin; that said, I know nothing about this Sterzer kid, but given his career numbers I have a hard time believing he's worth Bellerive and a 3rd.
    He has 10 more points, but more importantly 17 goals. Solid upgrade on Bellrive.

Volek dealt for a '15 4th and a '16 3rd. Although it doesn't signify that Sutter is officially waving the white flag, it's definitely a sign in that direction.
    Volek won't be back next season, and this move opens up ice time for guys like Kopeck and Pawlenchuk. I enjoyed watching Volek in December, before that... not so much.

No surprise there, but I am very disappointed the trade of a two top-6 forwards didn't net any help on the back end.
    it is a step in the right direction, but I too will be disappointed if he doesnt make a deal tomorrow to fix some of the blueline issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    He has 10 more points, but more importantly 17 goals. Solid upgrade on Bellrive.
    Call me crazy but I'm going to wait to actually see him play before I call him a "solid upgrade" on anyone.

I don't know what to think of these deals. The deadline appears to be over with no further moves. So you move Volek for picks and you slightly upgrade Bellerieve, at best the overall move seems to be negative for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsfan13 View Post
    I don't know what to think of these deals. The deadline appears to be over with no further moves. So you move Volek for picks and you slightly upgrade Bellerieve, at best the overall move seems to be negative for this year.
    To me it just says that Sutter isn't overly concerned with this year (not should he be) and didn't want to pay the price teams were asking for some help on the back end. He's still got another year out of Sterzer so that trade wasn't necessarily made with this year in mind. I had a feeling he might try to turn those picks from the Volek deal into a defenseman or two but obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsfan13 View Post
    In the short-term, the picks that were acquired for Dumba mean nothing to most Red Deer fans, however Kopeck is going to be under the microscope as 'the guy they got for Dumba'. With Volek on the roster, he probably wouldn't have gotten much of a chance to prove himself this season. Look for him to step into his place in the roster. Sutter now has a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks to work with this summer.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see what he does with his Import picks. Can't help but think that he needs to hit a home run with those picks, and my money is on one of them being a defenseman.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    In the short-term, the picks that were acquired for Dumba mean nothing to most Red Deer fans, however Kopeck is going to be under the microscope as 'the guy they got for Dumba'. With Volek on the roster, he probably wouldn't have gotten much of a chance to prove himself this season. Look for him to step into his place in the roster. Sutter now has a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks to work with this summer.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see what he does with his Import picks. Can't help but think that he needs to hit a home run with those picks, and my money is on one of them being a defenseman.
    Jan Bittner is probably available.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Jan Bittner is probably available.
    Hey! Don't say things that you can't take back!