Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kiss his Ast good-bye

I wouldn't call that a minor detail, that is rather significant. It just validates some of the issues Giants fans have with their scouting staff. They like to attribute that to not having many high draft picks over the years but that is just a load of crap. It comes down to bad drafting simply put.

Some of the picks, which feel like too many of the picks have been busts. As far as raw skill, talent, and ability to get it done Ast ranks in that group, but at the same time because of his effort when healthy he ended up being one of those players a guy in the stands may like to root for, that underdog thing I guess. As far as the overall effect on the team, not gone miss at all. I wonder how much diabetes factored into his injuries, not getting them but how it affected the injury and how it effected getting over them. (one of those __ffected's has to be right)

Even Hay seemed to go well beyond the politically correct parting well wishes when he spoke of him. It sounded very sincere to me.

Water under the bridge if they make something of the picks they picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Minor detail, but the Vancouver Giants had the 13th overall pick in the 2010 bantam draft (when Reinhart, Petan, Geertsen, Bowey, Ully, and Comrie were all available to be selected).

But they traded that pick to the Tri-City Americans to switch first round picks (to receive Tri-City's 2nd round pick in 2011 = Reid Zalitach).

The Tri-City Americans chose Eric Comrie with that 13th overall pick.
    Reinhart (15th pick), Petan (16th pick), and Geertsen (18th pick) were chosen before the Giants selected Ast with the 19th overall pick.

Bowey (1st pick of the 2nd round, 23rd overall) and Ully (8th pick of the 2nd round) were still available.
    Wow I was hoping our scouting staff weren't that clueless, but apparently they are. Our euro drafting is even worse. It might be time for the Ripplingers to get the boot and the Giants bring in some real scouts willing to do the leg work, as it seems we (who should have the wherewithal to acquire the best scouts) are lacking scouts who can properly assess talent. I find it odd for a team to pass on a Reinhart or Petan and choose Ast - hindsight is 20/20 of course, but good scouts would have caught that.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/