Thread: Protect the Captain

Default Protect the Captain

I was at Friday's game against Lethbridge and was surprised to see the liberties that were being taken against Conner Bleakley. Wednesday he takes the knee and nobody steps up to defend and then Friday night it was constant extra hits, extra gabs. Once again no one steps up. This is the captain and easily the best player on the team this year. Is there a problem with the room and him being captain this year? Someone has to step up and let the opposition know that this will not be tolerated. Doesn't have to be dirty or a fight, just an awareness that there will be a response to other teams picking on a 17 year old.

In the case of the knee, someone went over to him, but there was zero percent chance that a 150lb euro is going to drop the gloves, so not only would the Rebels come out of it with 5 and a game for a one-man fight, but an extra two for instigating (because that penalty only gets called against Red Deer apparently) and a suspension. Thrower would have been willing to go for sure, I can only imagine that they just took a number instead, as they were already down 2 goals, and had their 16 year old goalie in net.

Default 7 losses in a row.

Really have to wonder what is going on with this team. Looks remarkably similar to a team that got Wallin fired last year because he was no longer getting through to them. I like Brent Sutter, but if it was anyone else besides him coaching he would have fired the guy by now. You would think with the amount of new faces that are on the team this year that the attitude/personality of this team would change, but here we are again. A team that at the start of the year is projected to be one of the best in the East, makes the top 10 list for teams in the CHL, has the CHL goaltender of the year and now is fighting for its playoff life. If Prince Albert hadn't completey faltered since Christmas we would not even be in a Playoff position.

Has to be a leadership group issue. As far as I am concerned, that leadership needs to start with the coaches. I remember some after game comments from Sutter a few years ago after a no effort loss. Colin Archer was captain and he was out with and injury and Brent said that the captain wasn't there to get the guys motivated to play and they never showed up. I remember thinking then that shouldn't it be the coaches job to get guys motivated to play.

I am sure that if Dumba would have been back he would have been wearing the C this year. I understand the "captain leading by example" thing and Bleaks is definately a guy who fits that mold with the effort that is put in every night, but from what I can see.....a 17 year old captain has not worked for this team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Really have to wonder what is going on with this team. Looks remarkably similar to a team that got Wallin fired last year because he was no longer getting through to them. I like Brent Sutter, but if it was anyone else besides him coaching he would have fired the guy by now.
    Sometimes it doesn't really matter who the coach is, a player just isn't cut out for the WHL. I think there is a couple of those on the team at the moment. Fortunately they are going to have to make some room for some new faces next season...
    You would think with the amount of new faces that are on the team this year that the attitude/personality of this team would change, but here we are again.
    They picked up some new faces, but unfortunately they were slight upgrades on things that weren't really the biggest weaknesses on the team. The fact that they didn't take care of some of the 'problems', is a pretty clear indication that they are going to continue to be a problem next season. Lukas Sutter and Kolton Dixon have single-handedly cost the team about 10 games between them this year with stupid, selfish penalties, and Gaudet is easily the worst defenseman on the ice in most games. Fleury looks really tired and rattled late in games in the second half, and has been paired with a rookie in the second half of the season.
    A team that at the start of the year is projected to be one of the best in the East, makes the top 10 list for teams in the CHL, has the CHL goaltender of the year and now is fighting for its playoff life.
    Not really sure who had them projected to be one of the best in the East, but I am sure they were pretty quick to change that when they started the season with 12 rookies (and the youngest team in the WHL), including a 16 year old goaltender. Teams that are serious about being competitive now just don't do that, this is a team that is being built for a year or two from now. Hanging on to Bartosak with that young of a team was sort of puzzling to me as well, though I suppose there is a diminished return for an overage import.
    If Prince Albert hadn't completey faltered since Christmas we would not even be in a Playoff position.
    And at this point, I think that is the only way the Rebels will continue to have any chance at making the playoffs.
    Has to be a leadership group issue. As far as I am concerned, that leadership needs to start with the coaches. I remember some after game comments from Sutter a few years ago after a no effort loss. Colin Archer was captain and he was out with and injury and Brent said that the captain wasn't there to get the guys motivated to play and they never showed up. I remember thinking then that shouldn't it be the coaches job to get guys motivated to play.
    Leadership from their peers is pretty huge with kids at that age, the coaches can only do so much. I have a feeling that Truitt is going to be promoted to Head Coach in the off-season though.

I am sure that if Dumba would have been back he would have been wearing the C this year.
    They really took their time in selecting a captain, so I think you could be right. I think that regardless of what Dumba says, and what his family says, I don't think he really enjoyed playing Sutter's style of hockey. When Sutter returned to the helm last year, EVERY player on that team got about 100% better, except Dumba, who regressed a great deal until the end of the season. I have a feeling that he made this known to the Minnesota Wild, and it played a big part in him not being reassigned until his rights were traded.
    I understand the "captain leading by example" thing and Bleaks is definately a guy who fits that mold with the effort that is put in every night, but from what I can see.....a 17 year old captain has not worked for this team this year.
    I think the captain on a junior team has a lot more to do with how they carry themselves, and how they respond and communicate with the on-ice officials. Any of the older guys on the team can be leaders without being the captain or even an assistant, and I think that is a bigger part of the problem.

Things aren't all bad though, Sterzer is a workhorse, and an absolute beast. He should be one heck of an overage player next season. Musil and Pawlenchuk just get better and better every game, and have been a threat every time they are on the ice. I think that Kopeck is going to have a big year next year too. Feser seems to have taken his early-season demotion seriously, and is one of the hardest-working players consistently since getting the call. Not sure he will ever be a scorer, but you can't have too many hard-workers on your team.