Thread: The Forwards - Season's end

Default The Forwards - Season's end

Conner Bleackley (B-) - He looked like he was quite obviously playing through an injury for the last month or so of the season, and his physical game was almost non-existant in that time.
    Looking forward: He will probably be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NHL draft, and return to captain the 2014/15 Rebels.

Evan Polei (B+) - Continues to improve his game, and played like a first line player in the tie-breaker game against Prince Albert. In addition to being a physical force, and a developing scoring threat, he seems to be a bit of a pugilist as well, as I don't think he lost any of his several fights this season.
    Looking forward: I would like to see him get some time in the top two lines next season.

Presten Kopeck (C+) - Acquired in the Dumba trade, he spent the first month or so on the IR. He has a really strong work ethic, and creates a lot of scoring chances, however he also creates as many scoring chances for the other team with bad passes/turnovers.
    Looking forward: I think that now he is settled in and all the rookies are a year older, he will be able to focus on his game next season.

Rhyse Dieno (B-) - I thought he would expand on his point production this season, but 66 points in 65 games is not too shabby, given how many rookies there were on the team this season.
    Looking forward: He has played out his junior eligibility, and I wish him luck in his future endeavours.

Cole Chorney (C+) - Still needs a lot of work on his skating, but he reads the play defensively incredibly.
    Looking forward: 11pts from a 17 year old is not bad, but he is really going to have to elevate his game next season to hold his roster spot with some of the youngsters coming up through the system.

Grayson Pawlenchuk (A-) - Managed to come back from his broken elbow and put up 19 points in 44 games, not bad at all for a 16 year old. More than that though, he is by far the most physical player on the team, delivering a handful of bone-crunching hits in every game he plays.
    Looking forward: Should return in the top two lines next season.

Vukie Mpofu (D+) - Showed some streaky scoring here and there down the stretch. Continues to get manhandled on the boards and turn the puck over constantly.
    Looking forward: Should return next season, but will need to become more of a consistant scoring threat.

Meyer Nell (D-) - Healthy scratch for most of the second half, even sat in favor of some APs towards the end.
    Looking forward: I would be surprised if he isn't moved in the summer.

Brooks Maxwell (C-) - Hasn't improved his game at all in about a season, vanished in the second half. Scores the odd clutch goal here and there.
    Looking forward: Eligible to return as an overage player, but I would think that he is in tough to hang on to that spot.

Aspen Sterzer (B+) - Late bloomer went from 7 points last season to 53 this season. Skates hard, and goes to the end boards for the puck with reckless abandon. Makes things happen out there one way or another.
    Looking forward: Should return as a fine overage player.

Wyatt Johnson (B+) - Shrugged off some early concussions and stepped into the role vacated by Lukas Sutter's departure, and ran with it. Hits, kills penalties, fights, does whatever it takes to win.
    Looking forward: Should return and be in the top two lines next season.

Lukas Sutter (F-) - Did the team a favor and elected to have shoulder surgery early, rather than dragging the team down with him. Win or lose, the team was a lot more entertaining to watch when he wasn't in the lineup.
    Looking forward: He has played out his junior eligibility, and will probably make a pretty good CIS player next season.

Adam Musil (A) - Just gets better every game. Will probably be a little bigger than the 6'3 200lb player he is now when he returns to center the second line next season.
    Looking forward: Biggest part of this team moving forward, and a can't miss 1st round NHL selection next season.

Scott Feser (B-) - What's that? He isn't done with the WHL yet? A poor training camp found him being reassigned to the AJHL, only to be recalled halfway through the season, where he put up 28 points in 46 games. The demotion really seemed to light a fire under him, as he was undistinguishable from the player that he was here prior to his reassignment.
    Looking forward: Look forward to seeing him come back and continue his hard work here next season.

Talking to someone in the know and Bleakley was pretty banged up for the last 10 or 15 games of the season. Really to bad since his performance in the last games did suffer because of it and it will probably affect his draft level. Hopefully next year more players on this team will step up and play some better hockey so Bleaks doesn't feel like he has to throw this whole team on his back and try to carry them to a win every game which you could see he was doing. When he was healthy he was a force out there (especially for a 17 year old), add to that the pressure of being the captain and offensive leader and I think he did a very good job. Looking forward to watching him continue his progession next year. Still think he should be a low first round/ high second round pick.

Wink

Careful Section N. Although not as bad as the thread you brought back to life, still had to chuckle at the lack of faith you had in Bleaks being a first round pick as well.

Love to see the Rebel boys getting picked up in the first round. Rebels are in good hands for the next couple years. Looking forward to the coming season and watching these two develop even more into something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Careful Section N. Although not as bad as the thread you brought back to life, still had to chuckle at the lack of faith you had in Bleaks being a first round pick as well.
    Hey! Get your own thing! Even after seeing all the final rankings that came out months after I posted that, I still thought he may go in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round. But I have no problem being a little wrong about something like that!

SectionNDeserter,
    Love your review on Sutter. As a Blades fan I was glad to see him go and thank the Rebels for that trade ,but the Rebels stole Polei from us .Has
    potential and think the Blades panicked on that trade. But I guess what goes around comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Uknownothing View Post
    SectionNDeserter,
    Love your review on Sutter. As a Blades fan I was glad to see him go and thank the Rebels for that trade ,but the Rebels stole Polei from us .Has
    potential and think the Blades panicked on that trade. But I guess what goes around comes around.
    My mind was absolutely blown that he was re-drafted, even by the Islanders. But I guess the fact that Garth Snow thinks he's a good hockey player is a pretty serious indictment in and of itself.

The Islanders.

Default Season?

Things look bright this year. One year older and still young.
    Size is good and speed as well in the vets, but rookies might be a little small. Burke and MaCarthy. Should be able to compete against the Calgary and Edmonton clubs.
    D... Fleury will play incredible minutes, who else will make up the rest?

Thoughts on goalies? Burman is young... Anyone in the waiting with a few more years to back up or challenge him?

Btw Bleakley should never have even been a discussion. Has the size, speed and hockey sense to play at the next level, and may very well be a steel in the draft even at that draft position. In my opinion he has always been under rated and his upside is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatshockey1965 View Post
    D... Fleury will play incredible minutes, who else will make up the rest?
    Doetzel will log a lot of minutes again this season, as will newly acquired Brett Cote. After that? Hard to say. Their first pick in the import draft could possibly play a lot of minutes, and Charif might be ready for more ice time (though I am still not totally sold on him).

Thoughts on goalies? Burman is young... Anyone in the waiting with a few more years to back up or challenge him?
    Have heard that they still haven't given up on American Blake Weyrick changing his mind and showing up at camp. Beyond that? Colby Entz has had a great couple of camps, but this is only his 16 year old season. I think that Grant Naherniak may still be on their radar, and they may just platoon the two of them this season.

Say its not so that the Naherniak experiment is going to happen for what....the fourth time. Unless he has found something in his game that he hasn't had for the last two years, I can't see Naherniak being in the running. If a trade isn't made, it wouldn't surprise me to see Rylan Toth get a look as I thought he looked okay in camp last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    If a trade isn't made, it wouldn't surprise me to see Rylan Toth get a look as I thought he looked okay in camp last year.
    I have thought that both Toth and Naherniak have looked just 'okay' as well. They are the same age, but Naherniak has four WHL games under his belt, including a start (which is the only reason I gave him a slight edge over Toth). I too am hoping for Sutter to swing a deal for an experienced goaltender, but he likes a good deal, and there isn't really any goalies out there that are both ready to step into the role, and are available.