Thread: Defense and Goaltenders - Season's end

Default Defense and Goaltenders - Season's end

Devan Fafard (D-) - He was never an overly skilled defenseman, but he played within his limitations last season, and enjoyed a measure of success. Different story this season. His transition game struggled immensely, and didn't look confident around the puck at all. This led to a difference of 8 fewer points, and being on the ice for 27 more goals than last season.
    Looking forward: I don't really see any scenario where he could fit into next season's roster asan overage player.

Nick Charif (C+) - Looks a lot more confident with the puck, however I think that before you become an offensive defenseman, you really need to take care of your own end. Still doesn't look very confident in his own end, and struggles to clear the puck at times with any sort of a forecheck. Was sort of thrown to the wolves on the first pairing not long after arriving here.
    Looking forward: He continues to improve, and could return next season, hopefully with a more suitable amount of ice time.

Hayden Fleury (B-) - Easily the team's best defenseman, but really looked tired, and rattled in some games later in the season. Not sure if it was injury, or just the pressure of being ranked so high in the NHL draft, but he was not the same player in the second half.
    Looking forward: Seems quite likely that he will be drafted in the 1st round of the NHL draft, and return to Red Deer to anchor the blueline once again.

Kirk Bear (D-) - No points in 35 games, not even an assist. Average defensively, and was a healthy scratch for most of the second half of the season.
    Looking forward: When Devan Fafard and Kolton Dixon bump you out of the roster as an 18 year old--your future in the league doesn't look great.

Brady Gaudet (F) - Probably the only thing I enjoyed less than watching Lukas Sutter play this season, was watching Brady Gaudet try to play defense. He quarterbacks the powerplay well, and has a decent shot, but he can't get possession of the puck in his own end, and when he does, he can't move the puck up the ice, or even clear the zone with it. Opposition forwards blow past him routinely like he isn't even there, and he turns the puck over in his own end all the time. Biggest disappointment for me this season, by far.
    Looking forward: Seems like he will be back next season. Could we play him as a forward? And move him to the back on the powerplay at least?

Kayle Doetzel (B+) - Still has no offensive game, but is really the only defenseman that the Rebels have that can play DEFENSE ALL THE TIME. Managed to quietly put up 12 points this season, which is quite an accomplishment given that he may have taken 8 shots on goal all season.
    Looking forward: Should return and provide a steadying influence to whoever he is paired with on the second pairing.

Kolton Dixon (D+) - Much to my delight, he actually seems to have eliminated most of the undisciplined play from his game. Also much to his brain's delight, he has backed off of on trying to fight as much.
    Looking forward: If he continues to play a more disciplined game, and within his limitations, I think that he can continue to be a #5/6 defenseman in this league.

Goalies

Taz Burman (C-) - Played about three games in the second half, where he let in some really soft goals, even for a 16 year old.
    Looking forward: I don't think that watching Bartosak play those 65 games got him ready for next season. He will be backing someone up again next year.

Patrik Bartosak (A+) - Played all but 7 of the games this season, and really started to play well down the stretch. He was the whole team defense on some nights, and really created a tough act to follow for whoever the starting goaltender is next season.
    Looking forward: It was really a pleasure to watch the last of the import goaltenders play here, especially an elite talent like him, I wish him the best of luck in the Los Angeles Kings organization.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 03-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Another good assessment I would move Fluery up to at least a B or B+. Have to agree on Gaudet I am not sure there is room for him Charif and Fluery they all play a high risk high reward game the back end is secondary to them.

Had a tough time with that one. Fleury played so far below his potential in the last month or so of the season, and the tie-breaker game was the worst game he has ever played in the WHL, including as a rookie.

Thanks for the analysis in this as well as the forwards thread. I'd like to chime in, but unfortunately work was very busy this winter and I only made half a dozen games in person and viewed maybe 7-8 online, but generally I couldn't agree more with the way you have it. Although I do feel you're penalizing Bleacks and Fleury a bit for their play down the stretch a bit much. I think the forward group looks pretty bright getting a year older, especially if a guy like Feser continues his game. I liked what I saw from Sterzer and Kopeck (for the most part), and the youngins like Pawlenchuk, Musil, and Polei did a pretty darn good job this year considering what was asked of them. However, if Brent isn't able to do anything substantial about the back end, it's gonna be another long year.

Still can't believe Gaudet and Fafard fell off a cliff that badly. Unfortunately I don't see too many scenarios unfolding where he doesn't return as an overager. Fafs definitely played himself into the AJ next year.

Next year I'll be splitting season tix with a guy at work on a different schedule. Wanted to do it this year but it's actually a good thing I didn't, given my limited opportunities to get to games.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 03-31-2014 at 08:36 AM.

On the bright side, as if Calgary getting dumped in six doesn't put a big smile on every RDR fan's face. Especially watching Driedger (aka the most overrated goalie in the Dub) get lit up.