Thread: 2016 Memorial Cup Host

Question 2016 Memorial Cup Host

Decided to start a general topic around the dub, with the 2013 in Saskatoon in the rear view mirror, who do you guys think has the best chance to host it in 2016? I will say someone in the Western Conference, since the past two whl hosts have been from the East.........

The Tigers will have their Brand new Arena in 2015/2016
    They also have some pretty good prospects if they come together right could have a decent team, but its too early to tell.

Kinda don't think they will, but if their team is looking good, its worth a bid.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Western conference seems the most likely, and with the on ice results in Saskatoon I would think (hope) the league will try to balance choosing a competitive host and having a good profit.

I won't even pretend to know much about the western teams rosters, let alone what their teams will look like in '15-16, so don't be surprised if I guess wrong on who might be on the rise.

I don't even know that you'll see any eastern conference bids. The only team from the east division who would be in a position to bid would likely be Brandon, but that's a non starter since they hosted so recently. I don't know what the future looks like for the central, but the only plausible team bidding would be Red Deer I'd say. Medicine Hat & Kootenay might have the teams but don't have the buildings, Edmonton & Calgary can't guarantee their building availability, and Lethbridge is a mess.

Vancouver has made it quite obvious they want to bid. They've proven they can host a successful tournament in the past, but that might be what holds them back - they hosted in 2007. But London is hosting this year 9 years after hosting in 2005, so it might not be as big a deal as I think.

PG is a mess and might not even be in PG come 2016 so they're not an option. Portland is likely in the twilight of their dominance so they'll be rebuilding.

I'm going to go guess we'll see bids from at least Vancouver, Victoria, and Everett. I'll go out on a limb and say Everett will be awarded the 2016 Memorial Cup.

I dont think US teams can host. I would say Victoria.
    GO WARRIORS GO

Portland twice (1983 &1986), Seattle (1992), and Spokane (1998) all have hosted the Memorial Cup since 1983.

I believe they changed it due to canadian sponsors .so it no longer held in the USA
    GO WARRIORS GO

Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    I believe they changed it due to canadian sponsors .so it no longer held in the USA

I don't know about the USA thing but it makes good sense re: sponsors.

I thought that Red Deer put in a bid last time, however I've heard they really want it there. They will have Bleakley and Fluery taken in the first round of the NHL draft, so two years from now Red Deer should have a great squad. I think they will be in the mix.

I'm pretty sure that the US not getting a Mem Cup was one of few things the league actually has admitted to. Sponsors being the reason. Makes you wonder if the US CHL teams might want to revolt or come up with some sort of US tourney to supplement their potential revenue streams.

Last year the talk was Red Deer and Vancouver duking it out for the adventure with the edge going to Vancouver. I asked a couple longtime media guys their opinion of the Hat throwing their name into the hat and they didn't think they would for /16. I had heard that Red Deer bid last time or went as far as they could in the process. Not sure where that leaves them having bid for last year and why that leaves some of the opinion Vancouver will have the edge...

I haven't heard any Victoria grumblings in my sheltered bit of reality. Maybe PG and Vic could co-host if PG moves to Naniamo. Will Victoria even have anything in the tank in /16?

Not that is means anything, but on page 4 of the revenue sharing agreement between the City of Portland and the Winterhawks there's a specific clause about Memorial Cup games.

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=422122