Thread: Memorial Cup Hosts

Default Memorial Cup Hosts

What's up with the host teams falling short in their respective league playoffs lately?? You have to go all the way back to 2008 in Kitchener to find a host who went in the front door.

2014 - London Knights, out in 2nd round
    2013 - Saskatoon Blades, out in 1st round
    2012 - Shawinigan Cataractes, out in 2nd round
    2011 - Mississauga Majors - lost league final (completely acceptable IMO)
    2010 - Brandon Wheat Kings - out in 3rd round (barely acceptable IMO)
    2009 - Rimouski Oceanic - out in 3rd round
    2008 - Kitchener Rangers - won league championship

Probably because there is no correlation between paying cash to get into the Memorial cup, and enjoying success in the playoffs.

7-11 both acceptable backdoor entries with 07 being as close as you could get without going in as #1 in their respective league.

I don't mind too much if they do well in the 3rd but don't go in the front. But they have to do well in the 3rd atleast.

/13 probably is as close as you could go without causing a riot.

If it is based on paying they should additionally add a tiered cash penalty to the host team based on their league playoff performance or lack thereof as well as if they are shuffled right out the door during the Cup tourney. It wouldn't cost the small market teams anymore if they put together a team to be legit contenders in the first place.

That said I'd like to be able to sit in 'my' arena to watch the cup in /16 - Go Vancouver, but not like the Blades.