Thread: Training Camp

Default Training Camp

Does anyone know when Training camp starts? And is there a spring training camp? I have seen it mentioned on other team's pages but can't recall

There is no spring training camp for the Canes, and the actual training camp doesn't happen until the end of August... Hope this helped!

Quote Originally Posted by jkanes View Post
    There is no spring training camp for the Canes, and the actual training camp doesn't happen until the end of August... Hope this helped!
    Thank you

Default Jordan Bellerive

Speaking of training camp. I heard on one of our local news channels that our 1st round, #2 overall pick, Jordan Bellerive and his family are coming to Lethbridge on Friday May 16th to check everything out.

Does this mean he is actually going to sign with the Canes? NO. It does show that he and his parents have not said NO to the Canes yet either. The mere fact they are coming to Lethbridge tells me that he is considering playing for the Canes. That is about as much good news as we Canes fans could ask for. Jordy was the #1 rated bantam pick for most of the last 18 months or so, up until the last few months.

Not to get too negative, but I hope if he signs here the Canes don't ruin him like they have almost every other player that has come to play for the Canes lately.

Just FYI......"The Kamloops Blazers announced this morning that they have signed 15-year-old defenseman Nolan Kneen, who was selected by the Blazers third overall in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft held on May 1st."
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 05-15-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Speaking of training camp. I heard on one of our local news channels that our 1st round, #2 overall pick, Jordan Bellerive and his family are coming to Lethbridge on Friday May 16th to check everything out.

Does this mean he is actually going to sign with the Canes? NO. It does show that he and his parents have not said NO to the Canes yet either. The mere fact they are coming to Lethbridge tells me that he is considering playing for the Canes. That is about as much good news as we Canes fans could ask for. Jordy was the #1 rated bantam pick for most of the last 18 months or so, up until the last few months.

Not to get too negative, but I hope if he signs here the Canes don't ruin him like they have almost every other player that has come to play for the Canes lately.

Just FYI......"The Kamloops Blazers announced this morning that they have signed 15-year-old defenseman Nolan Kneen, who was selected by the Blazers third overall in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft held on May 1st."
    I'm now a resident of BC but I used to live in Lethbridge so I feel a bit of loyalty to keep track of the Canes. I have seen Jordy play for the last few years and in my opinion he was the TOP kid all year round. He had a bout of illness early in the season (off for 2 months) which hurt his stats a bit but this kid is going to be a star. When I saw that the Canes drafted him I immediately felt bad for him. He's the type of kid that deserves to go to an organization that will help him grow and get to the next level. He is also the type of kid that will grow your organization. Hopefully things turn around for this team real quick and he does decide to sign. I can't see him signing anything this weekend or even at camp. I'm sure he will wait until mid season or next summer to make that decision.

As an addition - over the past few years I have also had the pleasure of watching Watson and Franklin. I believe both of these players were huge steals for the Canes as both were predicted to go 1st round. I have heard rumblings that Watson was considering school route and I'm not sure what dropped Franklin's stock but I can almost guarantee that they will be watching to see what Bellerive does before they make any decisions about a future with the Canes.

Hope you have the chance to see these 3 kids play because they are all very special.

Default Zane Franklin

I can't find the link to either article but I am sure I read the following information somewhere. In a legitimate pre-draft ranking article, Franklin was at #10 overall. Unfortunately I also read that he was almost certain to be going the college route. That is what I am pretty sure I saw or read somewhere for what it is worth.

Here are the numbers on Franklin from Alan Caldwell's blog:

Zane Franklin - F, 5'8", 190 lb GP G A Pts PIM
    Lloydminster Heat (AMBHL AAA bantam) 27 47 42 89 65
    Lloydminster Heat (St. Albert AAA bantam trnmt) 5 4 7 11 6
    Lloydminster Heat (AMBHL AAA bantam - PLF) 11 15 12 27 10
    Lloydminster Heat (Western Cdn bantam champ.) 5 10 8 18 12
    Northeast (Alberta Cup) 5 3 3 6 2

Those are some fantastic stats. His combined numbers from the AMBHL AAA playoffs and the Western Canadian Bantam Championships are out of this world as those games were against pretty good opponents.

GP G A Pts
    16 25 20 45

For every detail you could hope to read on the WHL draft, Alan's blog. http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/sear...&by-date=false
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 05-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Default Canes Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan42 View Post
    Does anyone know when Training camp starts? And is there a spring training camp? I have seen it mentioned on other team's pages but can't recall
    The Canes are one of the few teams as far as I know that don't hold a rookie Camp. Also there Training Camp has started later, and therefor has been shorter than most teams. Neither one of those facts is a good thing.

I believe it comes down to money. A rookie camp and a long training camp both cost the team a lot of money.