Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats fire Cameron/Dixon and McGuigan not returning

Default Pats fire Cameron/Dixon and McGuigan not returning

Did not see the is one coming, although I'm guessing this has something to do with buy-in to some new organizational priority.

Cameron is my favorite recent coach, and I hope they get someone else who plays an exciting brand of hockey and gets players to overachieve. I don't agree with this treatment, but the team does need to make changes and it's unfortunate the Cameron was a casualty.
    Last edited by Crofter; 06-24-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Iconwhl

I woke up this morning to 6 texts from friends saying the Pats coaching staff was fired... I thought it was some plot to f*ck with my mind but sure enough I log onto the pats website to see if it was true and yep to my shocking discovering they have been fired/let go.

I really thought Cameron was the right choice moving forward with all his coaching back ground in the pro ranks, he did a lot of very good things this past season as his 1st year as a WHL Head Coach. He really developed younger guys to take that step forward. This past season was the best brand of hockey I have watched at the dome since 2001

My only thought on this is maybe there is a prime past NHL guy wanting to come here and be the coach. Maybe a guy like Sillinger & Heward to be our coaching staff, although imo that may be a step backwards with a guy who has no coaching experience and then a guy like Heward who doesn't have a lot of experience at all. A buddy of mine who played in the sticks on rose tournament and who took part at the golf tournament said he saw a lot of talk with Sillinger and Marquart & Lumbard....not saying anything is behind that could just of been friendly conversation.

I guess lets wait and see who will be our next Head Coach now

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    My only thought on this is maybe there is a prime past NHL guy wanting to come here and be the coach. Maybe a guy like Sillinger & Heward to be our coaching staff, although imo that may be a step backwards with a guy who has no coaching experience and then a guy like Heward who doesn't have a lot of experience at all. A buddy of mine who played in the sticks on rose tournament and who took part at the golf tournament said he saw a lot of talk with Sillinger and Marquart & Lumbard....not saying anything is behind that could just of been friendly conversation.

I guess lets wait and see who will be our next Head Coach now
    I'm thinking you're right. It's going to be a guy with name recognition, because I don't think the Pats can sell tickets this year on what looks like a real youth movement and rebuild. Next coach has to be a fan-friendly name.

I have no idea what prompted the firing of Cameron or the resignation of the Dixon and Mc Guigan I thought Mc Guigan would go back to the Maritimes as he sounded homesick all year. I'm with one of the other posters it must be a new structure and he could not agree. Dixon is an astute mind for the game and a quality teacher. Camerons game style was a pleasure to watch'(puck possession and quick transition.)
    As for the next coach, the team need a coach with experience as a coach at this level or higher and a teacher with a lot of patience. An inexperienced coach will be a large step back. They tried that with Durcatch a few years ago. Sillinger or Hewart may be assistant coaches but hopefully not the head job.
    I view this as a half strike against the new owners

Wow - this news is a shock.
    Cameron always seemed positive about the team and engaged with his players. Had some goaltending issues that didn't help him out in the W/L column, but overall a great coach & leader who coaxed the best out of most of his players.

So Cameron, a player's coach who got his team (in what was projected to be a rebuilding year) to overachieve last year & win a Division Banner (forget about playoffs - that team wasn't built for a playoff run, and Wapple was injured) gets fired.

PA has an arrogant, obtuse little Hitler of a coach who alienated his players, fellow staff, and local media, and guided his team (that was predicted to at least win the Division & at one point was ranked nationally in the top 10) to an 8th Place playoff spot. And he still has his job.

Doesn't seem right.

Default Shooter Right on Money in Early May

Shooter Right on Money in Early May 2014. Some serious house cleaning. What is next?

Iconwhl

I guess some of us wanted Regina Pats major news and now we have gotten our wish although this wasn't the type of news we expected.

Here is a poll that can be done on the CBC news site if anyone is interested.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...eron-1.2685782
    Last edited by patsdude114; 06-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    I guess some of us wanted Regina Pats major news and now we have gotten our wish although this wasn't the type of news we expected.

Here is a poll that can be done on the CBC news site if anyone is interested.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...eron-1.2685782
    Sorry to see this happen. Enjoyed watching the Pats last season for the first time in a long time. Guess Lorne Mollekin has sold his house in Saskatoon and has relocated close to Regina. Maybe just the timing?

Iconwhl After listening to Sports Cage with Lang on the show...

Both assistants were not returning to the team, Bill McGuigan resigned on June 5th due to his father being ill back home. Josh Dixon was not going to sign a new contract before the new season as he wants to explore other possibilities my thoughts as a Head Coach.

With Cameron having only 1 year left in his deal it didn't make a lot of sense to hire on 2 new assistant coaches which are always multi year deals and then have the uncertainty of not keeping the same Head Coach after this season. Financially this move makes a lot more sense now as if the Pats did not resign Cameron to a new deal they would ultimately be firing the 2 assistants for a new Head Coach (if it went that way).

Makes a lot more sense after hearing Lang