Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats fire Cameron/Dixon and McGuigan not returning

Iconwhl

Chopper I agree with your comments fully and if hadn't been for Dixon not going to resign a new contract we wouldnofbhad the same coaching staff this season. This love is flat out a business move has nothing to do with the hockey side of things. With 1yr left on his deal and now having to hire 2 new assistants which would be min 2yr deals and with nothing saying they would offer a new contract to. Cameron why hire 2 with odds of having to fire them after the season anyways. Makes more sense to fire 1 then to fire 2 which would cost more money in the long run.

I for one am not happy about this firing but running my own business I do understand more on the business side of things more now then I did say 5yrs ago. I'm going out on a limb here and say that I doubt Lang will be fired next unless it happens today as it makes zero sense to have him hire another coach but then to fire him afterwards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    I doubt Lang will be fired next unless it happens today as it makes zero sense to have him hire another coach but then to fire him afterwards as well.
    I don't think Lang is in much danger of losing his job, but he might see his responsibilities change. Most of new "name" coaches are Head Coach/GM.

I was at the Brandt Centre yesterday and Chad L stated the process to hire is he would gather the resumes make a short list and the group (owners and GM will interview and decide), Not a very successful business model. We just finished 15 years with the owner (Brent P) trying to run the show and have zip, in fact a negative, too show for that.
    The coaches (Josh and Malcolm) that have been allowed to move on or terminated are both top notch coaches and top notch people. To find , at this late start, replacements that are upgrades will be very difficult.
    Both are good teachers, good communicators and bright minds in the game of hockey.
    I hope it is not a move to hire friends or alugnus (poor spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post

I just hope the coach isn't some retread that was here before. Most of them were part of that culture of losing.
    ***! -This firing makes us look like the Lethbridge Hurricanes. We might as well start a count down on Lang - I predict he will Be gone this time next year...

I understand what you are saying PD114 but I think the lack of hockey experience is starting to show. They may have good business experience but very limited hockey backgrounds. I also wonder if the "advice" they are receiving from their advisors is solid and astute enough for this endeavour. Hicke and crew were all successful business guys but that didn't end well. Perhaps a better course of action would to have let Lang make his own decisions until his contract expired OR ELSE fire him and everyone else and start ground up. They made him look foolish and inept.

Using alumni hasn't worked well in the past and shouldn't be a criteria for any coach of the Pats. I hope that they can some way fix this situation they have created. I do feel sorry for Cameron and Lang. They are both being used a sacrificial elements. It can be a dirty business.

Lang doesn't need this job to feed his family, he could make more money outside of hockey trust me. Hockey is his passion and the way the new owners have treated him in this situation is disgraceful. No sense having a gm, this team is going in the wrong direction what statement does this give potential coaches and GM'S. You have 5 bosses which one do you listen to.

Good insight Bighat. Other than perhaps the Giants and Americans, I am not aware of a multi-owner situation in the WHL that is very successful...five local owners each wanting to put his stamp on this team could be problematic. There should be one and only one person with whom the GM liaises with. The current situation is one of disarray and reflects badly on the new owners. Chad saying he will collect names but they will choose as a group, really? That's solely the GM's job most places, isn't it? Not a great business model.

I've read comments by Marquardt, Lumbard, and Semple on various mediums. Is there going to be enough ink for everyone? I remember when the Hicke group owned the team and nearly every trade had to clear at least three guys. Their tenure wasn't real successful. Parker controlled as GM and later from afar as president. Evidently now more of the same. Any coach/GM worth his salt won't put up with this stuff. What do the prospects/families think? It makes a person wonder what we can expect in the new hires.

Now the speculation starts as to who the new HC will be and what the status of Lang will be. I hope this gets done sooner than later.

I feel that the situation is a little different when the ownership is in year one. Rather than being underhanded, they are well within their rights when they are reviewing all the aspects to the organization to change some of the staff around if they don't like the way it looks before things actually get started. Why should they write off a year just to honor previous agreements if they don't like way things look going forward?

It certainly sets the tone and perhaps the intent was to send the message that mediocrity has consequences and they aren't fooling around... though maybe I am just being devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    It certainly sets the tone and perhaps the intent was to send the message that mediocrity has consequences and they aren't fooling around... though maybe I am just being devil's advocate.
    I disagree - this a simple/Semple, business decision. It can`t be a case of mediocrity - with the Pats finishing first and injuring their no 1 goalie just in time for the playoffs. Cameron had them overachieving and playing as well as any Pats team in the last 7-8 years.

As I understand the logic behind the decision; It was simply one to clean house - they didn`t want 2 new asst coaches on different contract cycles than the HC. (Although the creative thing would be to renegotiate Cameron`s contract to sync up with the new assts.) It sounds like they were intending to blow everything at the end of next season and pull a Saskatoon and bring in new staff. The 2 asst coaches would have been tossed overboard next year. So what we are left with is the new owners moved up their coaching plan by a year.

Just thinking out loud!
    Mark Habsheid (spelling ) is available and could be very good Coach/GM. He is from Swift Current.
    Not sure he would come here if the ownership structure is as convoluted (spelling) as it apears.