Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 14-15 Roster

Default 14-15 Roster

I suppose it is probably time we move on to the upcoming season. Who do we see playing this season aside from the two new Euros and the new goaltender? I heard Erkamps will be traded and Walters has a tryout with Columbus. Here is where they sit right now.

Forwards
    Tyler Wong
    Giorgio Estephan
    Taylor Cooper
    Michel Holub
    Reid Duke
    Jamal Watson
    Steven Alldridge
    Riley Sheen (20)
    Carter Amson
    Reid Nemeth
    Carter Folk
    Jaeger White
    Nikita Milekhin
    Pavel Skumatov

Defense
    Griffin Foulk
    Nick Walters (20)
    Tyler Bell (20)
    Macoy Erkamps (?)
    Bryton Sayers
    Lenny Hackman
    Kade Jensen

Goaltenders
    Justin Myles
    Teagan Sacher
    Jonny Hogue
    Stuart Skinner

On the Goalie Side add Sacher to the 20 YO list.
    If Walters Sticks with Columbus then we have our 3 20 YO. Although IMHO we once again do not have that strong of a 20 YO core. Bell is average, Sacher is also average (and will see lots of rubber again this year I am sure, so even if he played well his stats wont be that great). Sheen could be a bit of an impact player, I could see him get 60-70 pts in a full campaign.

On the Forward Side I would think that Wong/Estephan/Cooper/Duke/Watson/Sheen/Folk are locks. Holub/Alldridge/Amson/Nemeth/White and the 2 Russians are maybes, just because the Russians come here do not mean they will stick, that has happened lots in the past where the imports have not made it out of Training Camp.

On Defense you have Bell or Walters depending on Walters Tryout (I don't see us keeping both and releasing Sheen or Sacher). Foulk/Erkamps/Hackman/Sayers I would think are locks and Jensen probably hangs around as a 6th guy unless a trade is made.

Between the pipes I would say this possibly could be wide open. Sacher has never shouldered a starting positions games in the Dub so its possible that he doesn't this year either. Skinner was decent as a 15 YO facing tough circumstances last year. Hogue as much as I hate to be negative towards a local kid who has lived the "dream" probably either needs a fresh start or needs to be put in a better position to win (facing 50 shots a game with a suspect defense probably was not the situation he needed to be in for further development and being a 18 YO this needs to be a season for him to figure out where he goes in Hockey from here). Myles had alright stats in Kamloops, so maybe a Myles/Hogue situation might be what we are looking at here with an attempt to bring in another 20 YO up top..

All in all I do not see a Playoff Team here... We still do not have a proven impact player up front that can carry this team. Duke/Sheen are probably going to have to carry the load of scoring, Watson might be able to pitch in, but I don't think he is a 60 point guy either. The rest are really a supporting cast of 3rd and 4th liners who will be expected to elevate their games to be top 6 guys. Even at that some of the guys who will play Top 6 minutes probably are not guys who would play Top 6 minutes anywhere else. Our Defense once again looks Suspect and I would see our Keepers getting treated for rubber poisoning a couple times a week. In terms of our Keepers its really tough to say, if my calculations are right our Goalies saw an average of 44 shots per game, the SV% wasnt there either, but I don't imagine many NHL keepers see that kind of action night in and night out either..

With the current squad will we be better 29pts this year, probably.. Will we compete for a playoff spot. I doubt it.

Our GM had a huge opportunity to get some WHL ready kids from other teams when we had all the draft picks, but we proved once again that we are incapable of trying to shake up the roster. We seem to be pretty content with letting kids like Wong/Duke/Watson/Erkamps/Hackman etc drown here.

Nothing has proven this group can get it done, and I really dont see that changing..

If Walters Sticks with Columbus then we have our 3 20 YO. Although IMHO we once again do not have that strong of a 20 YO core. Bell is average, Sacher is also average (and will see lots of rubber again this year I am sure, so even if he played well his stats wont be that great). Sheen could be a bit of an impact player, I could see him get 60-70 pts in a full campaign.

On the Forward Side I would think that Wong/Estephan/Cooper/Duke/Watson/Sheen/Folk are locks. Holub/Alldridge/Amson/Nemeth/White and the 2 Russians are maybes, just because the Russians come here do not mean they will stick, that has happened lots in the past where the imports have not made it out of Training Camp.

On Defense you have Bell or Walters depending on Walters Tryout (I don't see us keeping both and releasing Sheen or Sacher). Foulk/Erkamps/Hackman/Sayers I would think are locks and Jensen probably hangs around as a 6th guy unless a trade is made.

Between the pipes I would say this possibly could be wide open. Sacher has never shouldered a starting positions games in the Dub so its possible that he doesn't this year either. Skinner was decent as a 15 YO facing tough circumstances last year. Hogue as much as I hate to be negative towards a local kid who has lived the "dream" probably either needs a fresh start or needs to be put in a better position to win (facing 50 shots a game with a suspect defense probably was not the situation he needed to be in for further development and being a 18 YO this needs to be a season for him to figure out where he goes in Hockey from here). Myles had alright stats in Kamloops, so maybe a Myles/Hogue situation might be what we are looking at here with an attempt to bring in another 20 YO up top..

All in all I do not see a Playoff Team here... We still do not have a proven impact player up front that can carry this team. Duke/Sheen are probably going to have to carry the load of scoring, Watson might be able to pitch in, but I don't think he is a 60 point guy either. The rest are really a supporting cast of 3rd and 4th liners who will be expected to elevate their games to be top 6 guys. Even at that some of the guys who will play Top 6 minutes probably are not guys who would play Top 6 minutes anywhere else. Our Defense once again looks Suspect and I would see our Keepers getting treated for rubber poisoning a couple times a week. In terms of our Keepers its really tough to say, if my calculations are right our Goalies saw an average of 44 shots per game, the SV% wasnt there either, but I don't imagine many NHL keepers see that kind of action night in and night out either..

With the current squad will we be better 29pts this year, probably.. Will we compete for a playoff spot. I doubt it.

Our GM had a huge opportunity to get some WHL ready kids from other teams when we had all the draft picks, but we proved once again that we are incapable of trying to shake up the roster. We seem to be pretty content with letting kids like Wong/Duke/Watson/Erkamps/Hackman etc drown here.

Nothing has proven this group can get it done, and I really dont see that changing..

Quote Originally Posted by lethbridgefan83 View Post

I would think that the first order of business should be to get the unsigned draft picks on board? Peter Anholt will get this ship headed straight into the wind, much of the success this year will depend on some decisions that need to be made this summer, i.e. assistant coach, coaching philosophy with a strong commitment to teaching young players and creating a new culture that will allow this team to at least compete? There needs to be a major shake up within the roster and we need to get bigger, stronger and faster! Erkamps (in my opinion) cannot afford to play another season here under the current coach if he has any aspirations of moving his career to the next level, plain and simple, he needs a change. We need a better 20 goalie than Sacher and Skinner needs to Play 20 to 25 games this season! (Sorry Johnny, nothing personal) I can't see both of the new Euro players sticking and there will be a great Euro that will come out of Brandon (Nejcleb) if the NYR don't sign him this summer? He's big, strong and mean, only problem is he will be a 2 spotter as he is a 94. Walters has a great opportunity to get a pro contract done with Columbus as their depth on D is shallow, so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out? If he does get returned it would have to be doubtful that he will still be on the Canes roster come the 20 deadline as Robson would be foolish to not turn him into a couple of younger players or draft picks, he goes to a contender is my predict? All in all, Anholt will provide a big catalyst for change within many of the current ranks and the very future and success of Robson will depend largely on whether he listens to the experience of Peter Anholt, if he chooses not to, could be Robson out with Anholt getting the big chair? LOL Considering that this team is no where remotely close to contending or making the playoffs this season, there is much room to make very meaningful changes to this roster? All things considered, this season will be pivotal for this franchise at all levels, to say the very least!!!
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Default one more............

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    I suppose it is probably time we move on to the upcoming season. Who do we see playing this season aside from the two new Euros and the new goaltender? I heard Erkamps will be traded and Walters has a tryout with Columbus. Here is where they sit right now.

Forwards
    Tyler Wong
    Giorgio Estephan
    Taylor Cooper
    Michel Holub
    Reid Duke
    Jamal Watson
    Steven Alldridge
    Riley Sheen (20)
    Carter Amson
    Reid Nemeth
    Carter Folk
    Jaeger White
    Nikita Milekhin
    Pavel Skumatov

Defense
    Griffin Foulk
    Nick Walters (20)
    Tyler Bell (20)
    Macoy Erkamps (?)
    Bryton Sayers
    Lenny Hackman
    Kade Jensen

Goaltenders
    Justin Myles
    Teagan Sacher
    Jonny Hogue
    Stuart Skinner
    Miles Warkentine, if and I said if, he reports...........
    GO CANES GO.................

Default this is a good sign..............

Default Not quite time to celebrate....yet

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post

Until there is an announcement of signing from kid I wouldn't get too excited. But it does provide a very slight flicker of a flame of hope I guess.

Our GM had a huge opportunity to get some WHL ready kids from other teams when we had all the draft picks, but we proved once again that we are incapable of trying to shake up the roster.
    So you believe that in early May, the Canes didn't seek out any other players in a trade? Remember that "these players" that you and I would like to see on the Canes... along with their agents... and their NHL clubs... have a high amount of control in the trade process. As of early May, I wouldn't think many would WANT to leave their current team to come to Lethbridge. That's the nature of the WHL nowadays.

Other thoughts...

1. Skinner will be a goalie on this club for the next 4 seasons. One of the other three goalies will take the other spot this year. For the first couple months, ideally, the older goalie will face the rubber against the top teams while Skinner plays the weaker half of competition. Hogue still has three years of eligibility, maybe he can play AJHL this season and then pair up with Skinner next year.

2. Someone on here rumoured Watson to be finished in Leth (as well as Erkamps) so I guess we will see if any other clubs think he has any value...

3. Don't forget four other prospects who have (to my knowledge) signed with the Canes... F Zach Goberis, D Brandon Kennedy, D Thomas Lenchyshyn, and D Andrew Nielsen.

Nielsen (at 6'4, 230) was added during the season, but the other three guys were good enough to make the club last September.

GO CANES GO

Default all i said was..........

Quote Originally Posted by canes77 View Post
    So you believe that in early May, the Canes didn't seek out any other players in a trade? Remember that "these players" that you and I would like to see on the Canes... along with their agents... and their NHL clubs... have a high amount of control in the trade process. As of early May, I wouldn't think many would WANT to leave their current team to come to Lethbridge. That's the nature of the WHL nowadays.

Other thoughts...

1. Skinner will be a goalie on this club for the next 4 seasons. One of the other three goalies will take the other spot this year. For the first couple months, ideally, the older goalie will face the rubber against the top teams while Skinner plays the weaker half of competition. Hogue still has three years of eligibility, maybe he can play AJHL this season and then pair up with Skinner next year.

2. Someone on here rumoured Watson to be finished in Leth (as well as Erkamps) so I guess we will see if any other clubs think he has any value...

3. Don't forget four other prospects who have (to my knowledge) signed with the Canes... F Zach Goberis, D Brandon Kennedy, D Thomas Lenchyshyn, and D Andrew Nielsen.

Nielsen (at 6'4, 230) was added during the season, but the other three guys were good enough to make the club last September.

GO CANES GO
    that erkamps billet told me that he and his mom came down and cleaned out his room completely, then said don't expect Watson next year either ...bottom line, what they thought at that point might not be what there thinking right now..hard to say, but as many have said before it would be professional suicide for erkamp to finish his days out with the canes unless he doesn't give a **** about moving on the next level......

The Canes biggest problem is there 20 year olds are not as good as other teams 20's. If you want to be a contender these guys must be impact players. If Erkamps leaves that would be very bad for the Canes because then you do not have a guy on the back end that has the experience as he does because he started here as a 16 year old. Same as Watson if he leaves that would be very bad also because here was also here at 16 years old and let's face the facts Watson's speed forces the d-men in the league to back up and not pinch down. Erkamps & Watson are the only two left from the 2010 draft that came in as 16 year olds. The impact players needs to be Sheen, Watson, Duke, Erkamps, Bell and if they get lucky one of the Russians. They need three out of the four fowards need to be 30 plus goal scorer. They need to take the reins. Last year Sheen 19G, Watson 18G, Duke 15G.... they need to impove on that for sure if this team wants to make the playoffs. And there can't be no one man show like what Duke was doing last year. Congrats Duke for getting drafted but now let's focus on helping the team get to the playoffs. It needs to be a team effort. Erkamps and Bell will need to play shut down against the other teams top lines and help on the offensive end....Sayers should also help out with the offensive. The biggest peice is goalies....It is a must for Canes goalies to keep them in all games and win the odd game or two to help with making the playoffs. The Canes cannot be down 3 or 4 nothing in the first period. If they had the fire power like last years Portland or Edmonton then no problem. But unfortunately the Canes are not at that level yet. Remember a couple of years ago the Canes were in the playoff hunt because Rimmer was in the net. We need something like that again. And the coaches need to coach to win especially in tight games. The Canes must win the marjority of those one goal games.