Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 14-15 Roster

Default from what ive heard...........

drakes systems are the old AHL's grind it out for a 3-2 win thing...if that is the case it would kinda sum up why certain players went from 32 goals last year to 2 this year. .Individual play is frowned upon, and when that happens you will not see a team riddled with 30 goal scorers....I think that was the down fall of last year, a team that was not big on talent coupled with system that stifles any kind of individual play..........
    GO CANES GO.................

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    drakes systems are the old AHL's grind it out for a 3-2 win thing...if that is the case it would kinda sum up why certain players went from 32 goals last year to 2 this year. .Individual play is frowned upon, and when that happens you will not see a team riddled with 30 goal scorers....I think that was the down fall of last year, a team that was not big on talent coupled with system that stifles any kind of individual play..........
    Wow if that's the case then Drake needs to get out of the old systems and get into the new age. These kids need to be let loose and be creative Sheen, Duke , Watson. If you see all the high end teams in the league Portland , Edmonton, Calgary, Med hat...etc.They make creative plays that is why they score a ton of goals. Drake can't hold back guys that want to do differnet this... I think that is career suicide for Drake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Train;196505[B
    ]The Canes biggest problem is there 20 year olds are not as good as other teams 20's. If you want to be a contender these guys must be impact players.[/B] If Erkamps leaves that would be very bad for the Canes because then you do not have a guy on the back end that has the experience as he does because he started here as a 16 year old. Same as Watson if he leaves that would be very bad also because here was also here at 16 years old and let's face the facts Watson's speed forces the d-men in the league to back up and not pinch down. Erkamps & Watson are the only two left from the 2010 draft that came in as 16 year olds. The impact players needs to be Sheen, Watson, Duke, Erkamps, Bell and if they get lucky one of the Russians. They need three out of the four fowards need to be 30 plus goal scorer. They need to take the reins. Last year Sheen 19G, Watson 18G, Duke 15G.... they need to impove on that for sure if this team wants to make the playoffs. And there can't be no one man show like what Duke was doing last year. Congrats Duke for getting drafted but now let's focus on helping the team get to the playoffs. It needs to be a team effort. Erkamps and Bell will need to play shut down against the other teams top lines and help on the offensive end....Sayers should also help out with the offensive. The biggest peice is goalies....It is a must for Canes goalies to keep them in all games and win the odd game or two to help with making the playoffs. The Canes cannot be down 3 or 4 nothing in the first period. If they had the fire power like last years Portland or Edmonton then no problem. But unfortunately the Canes are not at that level yet. Remember a couple of years ago the Canes were in the playoff hunt because Rimmer was in the net. We need something like that again. And the coaches need to coach to win especially in tight games. The Canes must win the marjority of those one goal games.
    FAR from their biggest problem. I do agree with your analysis though.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
    FAR from their biggest problem. I do agree with your analysis though.
    Thats right DS, agreed! Teams score goals when they play with each other, MOVE the puck and support the puck in all 3 zones. All there was last year was a bunch of players all trying to do it themselves, get the puck and go as far as they could, turn it over and then chase it back, most times near the end of the season we chased 2 on 1 or 3 on 2, so don't kid yourselves fellas, there wasn't a system! Erkamps was never in his own zone, -62 and played 66 games last year, that has to tell somebody something? Every single player on that team was a double digit minus and they only got worse over the course of the season! Exactly the same scenario that this coach demonstrated in Florida the year before, there are many talented players on this team and many very good prospects, the BIGGEST problem is the LACK of system knowledge and ability to teach and that is a coaching issue that this franchise will deal with apparently for one or two more seasons it would appear. Until there is a vast improvement by this coaching staff, this team will continue to loose, prospects will be reluctant to sign and roster players will continue to defect and as long as there is no system, all these players will continue to be individually creative, do whats best for self and continue to slip farther! At this point, logic has to suggest that we are in store for another season just like the one we just finished and more than likely, worse! Wonder why the assistant coaching position isn't filled yet...probably not a lineup for the job here I wouldn't think??? LOL
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Default bad choise of words on my part.............

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Train View Post
    Wow if that's the case then Drake needs to get out of the old systems and get into the new age. These kids need to be let loose and be creative Sheen, Duke , Watson. If you see all the high end teams in the league Portland , Edmonton, Calgary, Med hat...etc.They make creative plays that is why they score a ton of goals. Drake can't hold back guys that want to do differnet this... I think that is career suicide for Drake.
    individual is not the right word, creativity would sum thing up better..a bad
    antiquated system that does nothing more than confuse these young developing players leading to poor individual play.....that's kinda where I was going.....
    GO CANES GO.................

Yes, the team rarely played with creativity... look at all these WHL coaches getting promotions this summer, their teams knew how to carry the puck over the blue line and create chances against other strong teams.

Drake is old school but believes he can still succeed in modern day hockey where "analytics" are becoming popular... he needs to choose between the two. It sounds like he is a big believer of these new-age stats that are getting popular in the NHL, even though the Canes were still likely worst in each one.

The main thing is that a club which dumps the puck in 95% of the time will NEVER have long term success.

I will add that I definately noticed a more offensive club (such as quicker breakouts) in the few games after Lukowich ran away... but it didn't last long.

Maybe starting from scratch will benefit the players in September.

Tomorrow is the deadline for applying to host the 2016 Memorial Cup.
    Will Lethbridge be submitting to host? The roster should be dynamite by then.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Bryan Maxwell returning to canes as an assistant.
    I predict that Maxy takes over for a canned DB before the season ends.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Agree!!! It appears that smart changes are finally being made. New Ast. GM that will likely take over for Robson or at least make most of the decisions and now an ast coach to fill the gap!

Me likey..

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Really hope so! I would assume Maxwell will but heads with Drake. Dont think Drake will last long. Good to see some experience back in the front office and coaching staff.
    Last edited by here for the long run; 07-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.