Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 14-15 Roster

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    The stellar play of Stuart Skinner may well be the WORST thing possible for the Canes. Say what you ask? Well, Skinner just might be the difference maker as to whether DB gets his walking papers or not. See where I'm going with this?

Stuart has 5 of the Canes 6 wins this season. We were outshot in everyone of those 5 games. In our first 2 wins against Calgary and Edmonton the total shots were 100-67 and Skinner only allowed 4 goals. 100 shots in 2 games! Those are 2 wins DB can thank his lucky stars for.

While it is obvious that Skippy (part of his twitter handle) stole those 2 games, he probably did not outright steal his other 3 wins. His 5th overall win against Vancouver last night could well have gone in the loss column if it were not for his presence between the pipes. After all, the Canes had lost 9 in a row when #74 was gone to the U-17 and then returned injured and was unable to play until last night. The Canes finally winning after a 9 game losing streak in Skinner's first game back surely had a heck of lot to do with his goaltending. Also, it is well known that a team plays much better overall when they have confidence in their last line of defense.

Here are Skinner's numbers in those 5 wins:
    GAA.. = 1.35
    SP.... = .965%
    Pretty friggin awesome numbers for someone who was only 15 years old until the start of this month!

If Skinner had not stood on his head for 2 or 3 of his 5 wins, and a couple of SO/OT losses, the Canes record could very well be something like: 3-20-1-1 for 8 points and a WP of .160%

If I was DB I would have a giant sized poster of Skinner in my house that only has 2 words on it .... MY PAYCHECK!

One other reason why Skinner is hurting the Canes is that prior to his great game last night, we were comfortably dead last in the WHL and in line to get the 1st overall draft pick.

To be serious for a minute, Skinner is a fantastic goalie for a 16 year old. Let's just hope the mysterious disease (Berehowsky-destroyus-careeris-itis) that every other Canes' top prospect has got does not infect Skinner.

As an aside. I have no real qualms with the way Robidoux played in Skinner's absence. ZRX proved to be a PRETTY decent goalie, but maybe not a top tier WHL tender. I think he has earned the right to be the Canes' permanent and respectable backup though.
    Excellent post... I love watching Skinner play but you're 100% right... luckily the Board no longer has McNaughton and Wichers involved so we will see what direction the new President decides to go... he's only been in the chair for a few weeks and has already made a significant off-ice move...

Maybe it's simply money... I see Vancouver fired their coach this week just 2-3 months into his tenure because they have millionaire owners that are able to hire a new one.

Whether it's because of Maxwell or not, the team is playing much better defensively the past few weeks... the main problem is scoring, esp scoring early and not falling behind... many of the guys are in a drought and will be fine once they get back on the scoresheet.

If I could make one change, put Skumatov on the powerplay!!! He has a powerful wrist shot but only plays 5 minutes per game... I know his 200 foot game isn't good, but at least let him play on the 2nd PP unit where he will no doubt score every 2-3 games... he was triple-teamed at one point against Vancouver and still got a strong shot on goal... he is a pure goal scorer, use his strengths and let him score!!

With each passing day and each passing lose, it becomes more difficult to believe that the player development promise of the WHL can continue to be compromised at this ridiculous level, at what point does the league say enough is enough, at what point do these players say enough is enough, at what point do the fans of this once proud franchise say enough is enough? There was a glimmer of hope earlier when there was a new Chairman of the Board voted in? I was one that thought that maybe he had a better understanding of some decisions that needed to be made within the hockey operations of this franchise, apparently not? Clouston gets fired for being 1 game above .500, Ward gets fired at 9 wins and 15 loses? Berehowski keeps his job with 81 loses and 18 wins in 99 games played, it is just absurd that anyone on our BOD can still actually believe that the current management/leadership can still produce any kind of positive results at any cost? We are just over a 1/3 of the way through this current season which has produced 6 wins in 27 games played? Commissioner Robison was crystal clear in his address to the Lethbridge City Counsel and the BOD that NOTHING would improve until better management and leadership were in place? At this point, his advice has been totally and completely disregarded and this current season has been nothing more that a miserable continuation from last year when we were the absolute worst team in the entire CHL! It is then unfathomable to even try to comprehend any type of logical reason to continue under the current management/coach, if something is not done about this current situation, the WHL will likely have no choice but to take this franchise away from its ownership group and BOD. Lethbridge fans deserve a WHL team that we can be proud of and support, one that can compete fairly in this league. Something needs to be done right now to get some hope and some confidence back for the current players and drafted prospects whom must all be considering their options right now?
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Iconchl

Quote Originally Posted by sid75 View Post
    With each passing day and each passing lose, it becomes more difficult to believe that the player development promise of the WHL can continue to be compromised at this ridiculous level, at what point does the league say enough is enough, at what point do these players say enough is enough, at what point do the fans of this once proud franchise say enough is enough? There was a glimmer of hope earlier when there was a new Chairman of the Board voted in? I was one that thought that maybe he had a better understanding of some decisions that needed to be made within the hockey operations of this franchise, apparently not? Clouston gets fired for being 1 game above .500, Ward gets fired at 9 wins and 15 loses? Berehowski keeps his job with 81 loses and 18 wins in 99 games played, it is just absurd that anyone on our BOD can still actually believe that the current management/leadership can still produce any kind of positive results at any cost? We are just over a 1/3 of the way through this current season which has produced 6 wins in 27 games played? Commissioner Robison was crystal clear in his address to the Lethbridge City Counsel and the BOD that NOTHING would improve until better management and leadership were in place? At this point, his advice has been totally and completely disregarded and this current season has been nothing more that a miserable continuation from last year when we were the absolute worst team in the entire CHL! It is then unfathomable to even try to comprehend any type of logical reason to continue under the current management/coach, if something is not done about this current situation, the WHL will likely have no choice but to take this franchise away from its ownership group and BOD. Lethbridge fans deserve a WHL team that we can be proud of and support, one that can compete fairly in this league. Something needs to be done right now to get some hope and some confidence back for the current players and drafted prospects whom must all be considering their options right now?
    They can't fire anyone no matter how much we ask for it. They will have a difficult time paying office staff come February let alone have more payroll on the book for replacement hockey staff. It's a mess folks. Nothing short of a saviour coming forward will change things. That's a fact at this point.
    How did they reach this point? Poor leadership at the very top for many years. I won't mention the names. We already know who is responsible for making poor decisions and poor hires. These are the results. Failure at every turn in hockey operations, business decisions and alienation of the fanbase through lies and deceit.
    Cheers
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Default wow..................

this burke kids better be jesus on a stick or BR backside must be getting very sore....burke and kitt were both very good player before major jr but its not the first time kids did well down below and then fell apart in this league........
    GO CANES GO.................

Fafard looked really good as an 18 year old, but faltered for the Rebels last year. He has had a diminished role as a fourth line forward this year, but has been put back on D to kill penalties. From the games I have been to he has looked really good back on D killing penalties this year and hopefully can regain where he was at two years ago when he gets into a full time defenseman role again. He is a heart and soul guy that stands up for his teammates and is excellent in the room. With the amount of Cane players wanting out and requesting trades, having a guy like him in the room might not be a bad thing.

Burke looked really good in the few games he got into last year for the Rebs but was hurt early and hasn't seen much playing time this year. He has definitely shown he has some scoring abilities in previous levels and hopefully once he gets healthy can get going and become an important part of the Canes rebuild process.

None of the 20's on this team hold any keys to the future of this franchise so if they can be traded for assets for the years coming, they should be moved accordingly? The biggest issue that plagues this team right now is the inability to develop the players and until that is corrected, (be it the GM, the coach, or both) this team will continue to loose, continue to have players asking to be traded and be unable to sign higher round draft prospects...that is the reality! It is a pay now or pay later scenario, if they cannot afford to replace management and coaching staff now, then we have what we have until these contracts come to term? It would seem highly doubtful that anyone on this BOD could have any success at choosing the next management and/or coaching staff as they are not hockey people and would likely again make decisions based on budget constraints rather that proven hockey success! In the mean time, this franchise will continue to sink into the abyss. The WHL is or at least, likely going to have to consider terminating the franchise agreement with this ownership group and BOD and force the sale of the team to a private ownership group, much like what the league had to do in Portland seven or so years ago. The league is obligated to maintain their promise of player development first and foremost and that is clearly an element that is being compromised greatly within the current structure of the Lethbridge franchise. It has been disheartening to watch many good players leave this franchise by trade request and holdouts, but the reality is that each of them have a dream and when it becomes impossible to believe in their dreams of developing into professional players here, they then have no other choice but to try to get to a team that is more committed to the development process. It is sad but maybe this is all going to finally all come to a head and better and brighter days are ahead???
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Quote Originally Posted by sid75 View Post
    None of the 20's on this team hold any keys to the future of this franchise so if they can be traded for assets for the years coming, they should be moved accordingly? The biggest issue that plagues this team right now is the inability to develop the players and until that is corrected, (be it the GM, the coach, or both) this team will continue to loose, continue to have players asking to be traded and be unable to sign higher round draft prospects...that is the reality! It is a pay now or pay later scenario, if they cannot afford to replace management and coaching staff now, then we have what we have until these contracts come to term? It would seem highly doubtful that anyone on this BOD could have any success at choosing the next management and/or coaching staff as they are not hockey people and would likely again make decisions based on budget constraints rather that proven hockey success! In the mean time, this franchise will continue to sink into the abyss. The WHL is or at least, likely going to have to consider terminating the franchise agreement with this ownership group and BOD and force the sale of the team to a private ownership group, much like what the league had to do in Portland seven or so years ago. The league is obligated to maintain their promise of player development first and foremost and that is clearly an element that is being compromised greatly within the current structure of the Lethbridge franchise. It has been disheartening to watch many good players leave this franchise by trade request and holdouts, but the reality is that each of them have a dream and when it becomes impossible to believe in their dreams of developing into professional players here, they then have no other choice but to try to get to a team that is more committed to the development process. It is sad but maybe this is all going to finally all come to a head and better and brighter days are ahead???
    I wonder how a former 4th overall pick is feeling about how his draft year is going. Anyone think he and his parents are regretting showing character and toughing it out? That decision has probably destroyed his dreams as of now.
    That's the real tragedy in all this. As a resident of Lethbridge that makes my stomach turn. Extreme embarrassment.
    To think there are still 'fans' going to the arena and supporting the franchise blows my mind.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Default Sheen

Did anyone see that in Riley Sheen's first game with Red Deer, he had two goals, one assist, was +1 and was named first star in their loss to Calgary last night?

Default Estephan

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    I wonder how a former 4th overall pick is feeling about how his draft year is going. Anyone think he and his parents are regretting showing character and toughing it out? That decision has probably destroyed his dreams as of now.
    That's the real tragedy in all this. As a resident of Lethbridge that makes my stomach turn. Extreme embarrassment.
    To think there are still 'fans' going to the arena and supporting the franchise blows my mind.
    I really wonder if Estephan will come back after the Christmas Break? My money says he will not return. He knows what a good team can do for a player when he sees Nick Merkley on Kelowna. Merkley was drafted 5 spots after Georgio in 2012. Of course he can also see what a good team has done for Duke and many other X-Canes.

At his current pace, he will not even come near getting drafted by the NHL this year, so leaving can only help and not hurt his chances. I am afraid he is gone and I don't blame him one tiny bit if he leaves!

p.s. One thing that might make him come back is if the team has told the players that if they walk now, they will not be traded this year and will sit at home. Not an unrealistic scenario given we are not going anywhere this year anyway.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 12-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    I really wonder if Estephan will come back after the Christmas Break? My money says he will not return.

He knows what a good team can do for a player when he sees Nick Merkley on Kelowna. Merkley was drafted 5 spots after Georgio in 2012. Of course he can also see what a good team has done for Duke and many other X-Canes.

At his current pace, he will not even come near getting drafted by the NHL this year, so leaving can only help and not hurt his chances.

I afraid he is gone and I don't blame him one tiny bit if he leaves!

p.s. One thing that might make him come back is if the team has told the players that if they walk now, they will not be traded this year and will sit at home. Not an unrealistic scenario given we are not going anywhere this year anyway.
    I would be surprised if Estaphan would be the only one and I also believe that the league comish has to be about done with all of the Tom Foolery taking place here! The **** is going to hit the fan here very shortly, these guys will not be allowed to compromise the development promise the league has made to these players for very much longer...