Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Default 2014-2015 roster

The July attempt at Red Deer Rebs 2014-2015 roster will try to keep it to 24 players.

Forwards
    1. Kopeck (19) Bleackley (18) Sterzer (20)
    2. Feser (19) Maxwell (20) Johnson (19)
    3. Polie (18) Musil (17) Pawlenchuk (17)
    4. Nell (17) de Witt (16) McCarty (17)
    5. Burke (17)

Defence
    1. Fluery (18) Cote (20)
    2. Doetzel (19) Charif (19)
    3. Jansens (17) Dixon (19)
    4. Grman (17) Mahura (16)

Goalies
    1. Burman (17) Toth (18)
    Last edited by Red celtic; 07-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Interesting picks, but I certainly hope that Sutter can find a spot for Musil and Pawlenchuk on at least the second line.

I honestly don't see Charif on the roster next season. I think they will have Schmoorkoff on the roster as well, which would put them at 9 defensemen. Mahura can replace Charif, and I don't see them keeping Charif as an overage player in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Interesting picks, but I certainly hope that Sutter can find a spot for Musil and Pawlenchuk on at least the second line.

I honestly don't see Charif on the roster next season. I think they will have Schmoorkoff on the roster as well, which would put them at 9 defensemen. Mahura can replace Charif, and I don't see them keeping Charif as an overage player in 2015.
    I agree that both Musil and Pawlenchuk will become second line players I think that Sutter will ease them into that role give them some softer minutes to gain confidence. Not sure about Charif myself and he may become trade bait sooner rather than later but based on his minutes from last year I have him on the team. I also believe that Maxwell doesn't make it to November and will be traded.

No Mpofu or Chorney is a bit of a surprise seeing they were both a bit higher than Nell on the depth chart last year (Nell a year younger though I guess). Not real familiar with Laderoute. Was he a draft pick?

Other thing that you need to bank on is some invite walking into camp and making the team as that always seems to happen with this team. Mind you that could just be an indication of the lack of depth this team has had in the past and hopefully that is not the case with the team this year.

Not sure I see Dixon on this team as a 19 year old either. Pretty sure we don't see him next year as a 20 year old and could probably get just as good a minutes out of a 16 or 17 year old this year. Only reason I see him being around is if the team lacks toughness and with the direction being the last couple years to draft bigger stronger players, I don't see this team getting pushed around by anyone this year. Plus with Polie being in the line-up a year older and stronger, we should have one of the best fighters in the league.

At least with Charif you can see there is some offensive upside which is something the Rebels lacked from the blue line last year.

Always a good sign when you can have these discussions about which 18 or 19 year old is not making the team this year. Has to mean depth and core group is getting better, at least I hope that is what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    No Mpofu or Chorney is a bit of a surprise seeing they were both a bit higher than Nell on the depth chart last year
    Mpofu would have struggled to crack the top three lines this season, and I think as an 18 year old second year player pegged as a scorer, he needed to be in the top three lines. I think he had the same feeling, which is why he left the team to go to law school. I was a bit surprised at Chorney being signed last season, as he wasn't among the most impressive forwards in his age group at training camp. He is another 18 year old sophomore that needs to be at least pushing the third liners, and I don't think he is doing that.

Other thing that you need to bank on is some invite walking into camp and making the team as that always seems to happen with this team.
    Always see this as a failure of sorts, when they bring in an 18 or especially a 19 year old out of the AJHL or SJHL over some of their prospects that they have had for years. I can only ever remember one occasion that this has ever really paid off at all, and that was with Rhyse Dieno. There is about twenty Riley Boomgaarten's for every Dieno that they have signed over the years.

Not sure I see Dixon on this team as a 19 year old either.
    He had a really rough start with the team. Their penalty kill wasn't anywhere near good enough to be able to deal with all of his "toughness". That being said, I though that in the last dozen or so games he did a pretty good job of keeping his emotions and temper under control, and he didn't look totally awful. Seems hard to imagine him here as an overage player too.

Plus with Polie being in the line-up a year older and stronger, we should have one of the best fighters in the league.
    Not sure how important that is in today's game, but it is always entertaining to watch for sure. I really don't understand what Saskatoon saw in Milette that they were willing to give up Polei for him, but way to turn a problem into a solution!

At least with Charif you can see there is some offensive upside which is something the Rebels lacked from the blue line last year.
    I am of the opinion that if you want more offense from the blueline, sticking a forward back there isn't really any worse than the offensive "defensemen" that the Rebels have had over the years (Charif, Gaudet, Morin, Kvisto, Chapman etc). Then you also have the option of dressing another young forward. Of course the ideal situation would be for them to add defensemen that actually become competent at the defensive part of their position before moving on to the offensive side. Charif may surprise me this year, but it is nerve-wracking to watch him in his own zone.

Always a good sign when you can have these discussions about which 18 or 19 year old is not making the team this year. Has to mean depth and core group is getting better, at least I hope that is what it means.
    That's a pretty... optimistic way to view that. I would rather have a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds that were good enough that you didn't need to worry about them not making the club, personally. To me what you described speaks for that group being very weak as opposed to very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    That's a pretty... optimistic way to view that. I would rather have a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds that were good enough that you didn't need to worry about them not making the club, personally.
    It is more realistic than optimistic, in a developmental league like the WHL, especially when you are talking about kids this young. Certainly everything lines up just right every so often and you get a well-balanced team of veterans and hungry young top prospects, but this would be the exception rather than the rule. Players aren't always going to become what the team had hoped that they would, and there should always be a prospect pool in place that is legitimately pushing these players. I am with Moonergroupie, if you have a number of players that have been with the team for a year or two, and they are really just 'warm bodies' on the roster filling up roster spots, it is a great sign to see a younger player come in, take their place in the roster and do an equal or better job. This is clearly a sign of a team that is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    No Mpofu or Chorney is a bit of a surprise seeing they were both a bit higher than Nell on the depth chart last year (Nell a year younger though I guess). Not real familiar with Laderoute. Was he a draft pick?
    Got this information from Small Thoughts At Large prospect section great blog by the way. These stats are a year old the Alberta Midget AAA is not forth coming with there stats.

Tanner Laderoute Center 6'0", 160 lb
    2013-14 age: 16 Acquired: listed player
    GP G A PTS PIM
    Edmonton K of C Centennials (AMMHL minor midget AAA) 27 21 22 43 8
    Knights of Columbus Pats (AMHL AAA midget) 4 2 0 2 0

Saw him last year at prospect and main camp looked good at both camps I think he has a chance to play in the league. Chorney could make the team I am not a fan of a 18 year old on the forth line. In my opinion that's where he would be playing this year.
    Last edited by Red celtic; 07-27-2014 at 01:56 PM.

According to Alan Caldwells blog Tanner Laderoute is no longer listed by the Rebs so I took him off my roster.

Default Log jam

We seem to have a number of D (12) from last year and new to the team this year. With Cote (20y), Fafard (20y), Doetzel (19y), Chariff (19y), Dixon (19y), Bear (19), Fleury (18y), Grman (17y), Jansons (17y), Schmoorkoff (17y), Strand (17y), Mahura (16y).
    That is assuming MacLachlan is gone because I can't find him on the prospects list.
    I also read that Mahura, Schmoorkoff, and Strand have signed WHL Ed. contracts.
    I would love to hear from Red Celtic, Section N, and others what they EXPECT to happen with these D-men AND what THEY would do with them. LOL Have fun.