Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

[QUOTE=SectionNDeserter;198186]Probably don't even know, most people under 60 don't read the newspaper anymore.

There is something to be said about the feel of of course news print in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Red celtic View Post
    There is something to be said about the feel of of course news print in the morning.
    Case in point!

There are a million obvious things to say about a very nice win, but I want to focus on a couple that perhaps were less noticed:

- Strand looked very good out there tonight. For awhile in the first two periods I didn't see hardly any of Mahura or Grman, it was almost like a 4 man bench back there. Grman didn't blow me away by any means, but he initiated some physicality and made a nice first pass a couple times.

- *** is Sutter's infatuation with a forward on the point on the powerplay? Specifically, offensively challenged forwards? Maxwell cost them a goal tonight an indecisive pinch, and Nell (really? Nell manning the point on the powerplay?) also gave up an odd man rush. Just not acceptable mistakes and teams will spank them if they keep making them. It's not like those guys are snipers or bring big shots. There's no reason to have them out there and I wish we would see less of it.

Speaking of Maxwell, if Sutter can get anything for him - a late round pick, whatever, something that he could use in a package to roll into a quality player this year or next - he needs to do it. He's driftwood as an overager. I'd say the same thing about Fafard but no GM in the Dub would give up any sort of asset for him.

- The last two games have been the most physical and aggressive I've seen the Rebels play in a long time. They looked like a Sutter team for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Strand looked very good out there tonight. For awhile in the first two periods I didn't see hardly any of Mahura or Grman, it was almost like a 4 man bench back there. Grman didn't blow me away by any means, but he initiated some physicality and made a nice first pass a couple times.
    Strand has graduated to the 2nd pairing with Cote for the last two games, and not looked out of place. For me, he is probably the most pleasant surprise this season.

Grman threw about seven or eight huge hits (connected with about two or three of them). Seemed like his primary focus when he was on the ice was to try put guys on their wallets. Yakubowski finally had enough of it late in the game and tried to goad him into a fight.

*** is Sutter's infatuation with a forward on the point on the powerplay? Specifically, offensively challenged forwards?
    O'Rourke apparently runs all of the special teams, however it is still a common Sutter tactic for as long as I can remember. In the past, Sutter has done it even at even strength, with forwards that he is trying to force a shred of defensive game into. Sometimes it worked (Versteeg), other times it didn't (Jones). Mahura would have done as good of a job, and would have been learning a skillset that he will clearly be employing in the future.

Speaking of Maxwell, if Sutter can get anything for him - a late round pick, whatever, something that he could use in a package to roll into a quality player this year or next - he needs to do it. He's driftwood as an overager.
    I don't really see him going anywhere. Not too many teams are looking to make a lateral move with their overage players, so Maxwell is probably worth more to the Rebels for his penalty killing and intangibles, than they could ever hope to get in a trade. Cote on the other hand, could be valuable come trade deadline time.

If this team is competitive come trade deadline time, I can't see them trading Cote.

It is almost November, and they are not even at .500. They have been making steps to improve their play, however at this point they are probably going to be fortunate to be in a position where they are squeaking into the playoffs by the trade deadline.

Strand is making great strides as the year progresses, and if Mahura and/or Grman and/or Jansons become regulars, I can see them moving Cote at the deadline, for some resources for their run next season.

There's what, 59 games out of 72 left, and they're 2 games under .500? A little early to pronounce them dead on the table. I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of where they will probably be at that time of year, but it way too early to say they're finished. Also way too early to say the combination of young defensemen are capable of filling the hole left by arguably the teams best player so far this year.

Nice article on Strand in the Advocate. Anyone know why Charif was scratched last game? Obviously he must be hurt, but anyone know the severity/timeline?

I think it was Troy Gillard that mentioned on Twitter that he had a 'minor injury' that kept him out of the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I think it was Troy Gillard that mentioned on Twitter that he had a 'minor injury' that kept him out of the last two games.
    Thanks. I really wish their actual website and PR team would keep us posted on this kind of stuff, instead of having to rely on the paper and Twitter (which I don't use).