Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I would love to hear from Red Celtic, Section N, and others what they EXPECT to happen with these D-men AND what THEY would do with them. LOL Have fun.
    Ok!

Fafard (20y)
    Bear (19)
    Let me just get that list down to 10 for you! Not much demand for an overage minus-16 stay at home defenseman and a 19 year old that played 4 or 5 minutes a game for 30 games, registering zero points. Also saw something that lead me to believe that Bear wasn't really happy with his situation here. If either of these guys haven't been released already, I would be surprised.

Fleury (18y)
    Cote (20y)
    Don't know a great deal about Cote, but as an overage defenseman that they gave up a 2nd round pick for, I can only imagine that the plan is for him to play a LOT of minutes, probably on the first pairing.

Doetzel (19y)
    Jansons (17y)
    If Jansons has the skill level that I have heard he has, he should be on the second pairing, at the very least.

Chariff (19y)
    Dixon (19y)
    Grman (17y)
    Schmoorkoff (17y)
    Strand (17y)
    Mahura (16y)
    I believe that one of the 19 year olds in this group will be moved to forward, or traded before training camp. The other will form the third pairing with Grman. Sutter likes to carry 8 defensemen, so I suspect that Mahura and Schmoorkoff will make the grade. Not really sure where that leaves Strand, but he wasn't anywhere near as WHL ready as Schmoorkoff at camp last year.

Agree with Section N's analysis.

I think we have enough talented young forwards coming up through the ranks though, that I hope we do not see Dixon or Chariff start their careers as a fourth line forward. Let some of the 16 and 17 year old guys that have some potential to become a top 6 guy in the league make use of those minutes to gain some experience.

We have had the discussion already about how we believe neither 19 year old will be here next season so I see no reason in keeping them around this year at the expense of minutes to a younger guy.

We seem to have a number of D (12) from last year and new to the team this year. With Cote (20y), Fafard (20y), Doetzel (19y), Chariff (19y), Dixon (19y), Bear (19), Fleury (18y), Grman (17y), Jansons (17y), Schmoorkoff (17y), Strand (17y), Mahura (16y).
    That is assuming MacLachlan is gone because I can't find him on the prospects list.
    I also read that Mahura, Schmoorkoff, and Strand have signed WHL Ed. contracts.
    I would love to hear from Red Celtic, Section N, and others what they EXPECT to happen with these D-men AND what THEY would do with
    them. LOL Have fun.
    Our backend is a work in progress dependant on how Fluery, Doetzel and Cote step up. As I have explained to our good (0r some may say goofy) friend SectionN that our backend is a work in progress Mr. Fafard and Mr. Bear have reached their expiry date due to age and skill. There will be a battle for the 6th, 7th and 8th spots and it will be interesting how Strand, Smoorkoff and Grman do. Also is it in the teams best interest to keep Mahura on the team as a 16 year old even though I picked him to make the team and I did assume that MacLachlan was gone.

As to what they do with Fafard, Bear and MacLachlan they trade Fafard and release the other two. Tiny or anyone else it would be good to see your projected late July roster it is always good for a discussion SectionN try to keep it under the 50 man limit :-)
    Last edited by Red celtic; 07-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Default Red Celtic here it is

Forwards
    1. Kopeck (19) Bleackley (18) Sterzer (20)
    2. Feser (19) Maxwell (20) Johnson (19)
    3. Polei (18) Musil (17) Pawlenchuk (17)
    4. Nell (17) de Witt (16) McCarty (17)
    5. Burke (17)
    (Others in the hunt that I haven't placed: Chorney, Lapointe, Logel)

Defence
    1. Fluery (18) Cote (20)
    2. Doetzel (19) Schmoorkoff(17)
    3. Jansens (17) Strand (17)
    4. Grman (17) Mahura (16)
    (Others in the hunt that I haven't placed: Dixon, Chariff, Chalifoux, MacLachlan??) I like CFhalifoux.

Goalies
    1. Burman (17) Toth (18)
    (Another in the hunt that I haven't placed: Neherniak)
    I too expect a trade early for an 18y old forward or tender.)

Defence
    1. Fluery (18) Cote (20)
    2. Doetzel (19) Schmoorkoff(17)
    3. Jansens (17) Strand (17)
    4. Grman (17) Mahura (16)
    (Others in the hunt that I haven't placed: Dixon, Chariff, Chalifoux, MacLachlan??) I like CFhalifoux.

Goalies
    1. Burman (17) Toth (18)
    (Another in the hunt that I haven't placed: Neherniak)
    I too expect a trade early for an 18y old forward or tender.)
    Your defence looks a little young 6 players 18 years old or younger hope they will be able to stand up to the bigger teams :-)

Something else to think about, is that looking to the future, the team is a little light on '96 born players. Fleury and Bleackley won't play here as overage players, and possibly not as 19 year olds. That leaves just Polei and maybe Chorney as potential overage players in that group. I suspect that we will see some moves to get a bit stronger in that age group. They also have seven 19 year olds, and there isn't really any sign that any of them won't be available here as overage players.

Default 2014-5

I realize that the team is not the one we will remain with for the season. I am expecting at least two trades likely involving 19Y olds, prospects and maybe a 20Y old leaving. I wouldn't be surprised to see 18Y olds in return. Young ... yes. Only four 19Y olds in my line-up.

Been a while since I posted here.

Not going to do a whole team lineup projection as that can easily change. I'll play it safe and simple, Bleackley, Kopeck, Sterzer will obviously make up the top line. At least to start. Guys like Musil and Pawlenchuk, I don't see how they'll be stuck in 3rd line roles too long and will be battling with Maxwell and Johnson with those spots.

The top 4 of the defense will be made up of Cote, Fleury, Doetzel and Jansens. The rest are up for a battle between Chariff, Schmoorkoff, Grman, Mahura, Dixon.

Fafard will be 20 and he won't be taking a spot over Cote (who we dealt a 2nd rounder for), Maxwell or Sterzer. And I wasn't too impressed with Bear last year.

In goal, they'll begin with Burman with Toth and Naherniak and whomever battling for backup. If they feel confident and safe with Burman they'll ride him the rest of the year. The kid is a 2nd rounder so why not let him have a chance as a starter I say. In all likely cases he won't see the amount of rubber Bartosak saw.

I'm certain we will see a few trades to tinker the team a bit. So that's my 2 cents. Can't wait for the season to begin.
    FWHL: http://fwhlhockey.proboards.com/index.cgi?

WHL fantasy league! Looking for members!

follow me on twitter: @PADJJeff

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I am with Moonergroupie, if you have a number of players that have been with the team for a year or two, and they are really just 'warm bodies' on the roster filling up roster spots, it is a great sign to see a younger player come in, take their place in the roster and do an equal or better job. This is clearly a sign of a team that is improving.
    You just qualified that with an "if" to change my point entirely. Uh, yeah, "if" your 18-19 year olds suck, then yes it's lovely to see younger guys come in and challenge them. That's not what I said though. I said it's not "always a good sign" that your team has a bunch 18-19 year olds getting pushed for a roster spot. That's a sign that your team probably isn't going to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    I said it's not "always a good sign" that your team has a bunch 18-19 year olds getting pushed for a roster spot. That's a sign that your team probably isn't going to be very good.
    I am not really too clear about what you mean. Are you saying that if 18-19 year olds are getting pushed off the team by players that are younger and have a higher level of skill and compete level (obviously this would be a requirement for them to bump an older player off the roster), that the team is probably not going to be as good, as compared to the team with the older, less skilled and less competitive players? I think we might be talking about two entirely different things...

The last few seasons, the prospects came to camp, and for the most part, the ones that should have been ready, weren't quite ready to step in and fill a roster spot. This led to them attempting to round out the roster with Jr. A/B players like Muller, MacKenzie, Hak, Thiel, Giebel, Miller, Smith, Boomgaarden, Bear, etc. It is always a good sign when it looks like some of the young prospects that have been to a camp or two are looking like they are ready to step in, rather than just falling back to adding another 18 or 19 year old from the AJHL or SJHL.