Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Yeah, not a good string they have going. Losing to PA and Vancouver is unacceptable, and they were lucky to beat Kamloops. Absolutely throttled by Edmonton and Victoria. There will be ups and downs over the course of a season, but hopefully they can nip this in the next few games. Honestly, I do not see much excuse for the Rebels to not pick up all 8 points in four games coming up against non-playoff opponents, considering none of PA, PG, Leth, or Stoon have even broken 50 points yet. If they get any less than 6 out of 8, its time to be seriously concerned.

With that said, there are no gimmes with the way they are playing right now. These four games are an excellent chance for them to get their act together, put together some points, and start feeling good as they head into the home stretch.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 02-09-2015 at 11:57 AM.

The power of Friday the 13th. Lethbridge beats Red Deer, Saskatoon beats Calgary and Prince George takes out Medicine Hat. I wasn't at the game tonight, but looking at the stats, at least it looks like Calgary and MH ran into hot goaltenders. 7 shots in the third period when you are down 2-0 after two periods against Lethbridge. That is unacceptable. Can't figure out what has happened to this team. If not for Toth standing on his head in Kamloops, this team would have lost 6 in a row to teams that are all below them in the standings (some that are bottom dwellers). How do you go from 7-0-2, take one of the top teams in the Chl to a shootout, to this? Forces you to really once again question the leadership group and coaching of this team. To many trades messed with the chemistry of the team? Players seen new guys coming in and decided they didn't need to play anymore? The Rebels players themselves have said that the sign of a good team is to get the ship righted after a couple losses. What does that say about this team then? Really wondering if there is any point in purchasing playoff tickets, as they have quit playing the system and I don't think that is something where they can just flick a switch and start playing it again.

As frustrated and disappointed as I am right now, I don't know that it's fair to lay the blame at the feet of the leadership group or accuse the trades of causing this skid, unless you want to conversely give credit to both of those factors in the 7-0-2 run they had. They had the same leaders and same bunch of guys when they were winning.

With that said, the inability to arrest a slide like this is not acceptable for the talent level on this club right now. Last year we saw a lot of the same, and even at the dreadful start of this year, but those clubs were, quite frankly, just not that good. At this point, they have a team that should be able to go toe to toe with anyone in the conference, and they are dumping games to bottom feeders.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 02-14-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    As frustrated and disappointed as I am right now, I don't know that it's fair to lay the blame at the feet of the leadership group or accuse the trades of causing this skid, unless you want to conversely give credit to both of those factors in the 7-0-2 run they had. They had the same leaders and same bunch of guys when they were winning.
    Or it could be the lack of the core of their leadership group, ie: Polei, and now Bleackley.

Fleury was beyond terrible in this game, basically setting up both Lethbridge goals, and was as he has been, save for two or three games this season, completely disinterested in competing at a WHL level. At this point, the prospect of him playing in the NHL next season seems laughable, and it is starting to look like they need to find a new place in the WHL for him to play next season. They can't go into a season where they are hosting the Memorial cup, with a player that doesn't seem to care anymore, that they are also really forced to give top-line minutes to.

Cote has had an equally poor performance during this slide, and every forward not named Riley Sheen is taking a number of shifts off each game.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Or it could be the lack of the core of their leadership group, ie: Polei, and now Bleackley.

Fleury was beyond terrible in this game, basically setting up both Lethbridge goals, and was as he has been, save for two or three games this season, completely disinterested in competing at a WHL level. At this point, the prospect of him playing in the NHL next season seems laughable, and it is starting to look like they need to find a new place in the WHL for him to play next season. They can't go into a season where they are hosting the Memorial cup, with a player that doesn't seem to care anymore, that they are also really forced to give top-line minutes to.
    What's the alternative? Trade him to Portland for a third line forward and watch him put up video game numbers when he starts to give a **** again? Unless he comes into next year with a completely different mindset, it's a lose-lose situation for Red Deer.

I can't believe this is happening again. One Dumba was enough for a lifetime.

What's the alternative? Trade him to Portland for a third line forward and watch him put up video game numbers when he starts to give a **** again?
    Kopeck is on pace for a 40-50 point season, pretty solid "3rd liner" I would say. The Rebels got a whack of draft picks in that deal too.

Fleury has become Brady Gaudet with a larger frame--him sitting in the press box would make this team better right now. If they got a player back that could play in the top two lines, or the top two defensive pairings, and that player brought any sort of energy to the lineup, I say go for it! Stinking up a Memorial cup tournament because you are worried about another team getting a highly-touted but underachieving player for one season really doesn't make any sense to me.

Kopeck is on pace for a 40-50 point season, pretty solid "3rd liner" I would say. The Rebels got a whack of draft picks in that deal too.

Fleury has become Brady Gaudet with a larger frame--him sitting in the press box would make this team better right now. If they got a player back that could play in the top two lines, or the top two defensive pairings, and that player brought any sort of energy to the lineup, I say go for it! Stinking up a Memorial cup tournament because you are worried about another team getting a highly-touted but underachieving player for one season really doesn't make any sense to me.
    Not sure why you put "3rd liner" in quotes. 40-45 points is a reasonable amount for what Kopeck is on a good team, a 3rd line forward. That certainly isn't an ungodly amount of points for a guy on your third unit that gets regular PP time.

My implication was not that the deal was bad, or that Sutter botched it. As far as I was concerned, a bucket of pucks would have been fair compensation for Dumba with the level of motivation he had in Red Deer. I couldn't care less about what he did in Portland because he was never going to do that in Red Deer. My point was that the value in having a motivated Dumba (or in this case, Fleury) supersedes that of having a Presten Kopeck-caliber forward and some picks going into your Memorial Cup run. Which is why it's way too soon to think about trading him. If we are 20 games into next season and this hasn't changed, then we can talk moving him.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 02-14-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Not sure why you put "3rd liner" in quotes. 40-45 points is a reasonable amount for what Kopeck is on a good team
    40-45 points is a reasonable amount for a player on the checking line getting PP time on an Elite team, and very reasonable for a similar player on an average/good team like the Rebels.

My point was that the value in having a motivated Dumba (or in this case, Fleury) supersedes that of having a Presten Kopeck-caliber forward and some picks going into your Memorial Cup run. Which is why it's way too soon to think about trading him. If we are 20 games into next season and this hasn't changed, then we can talk moving him.
    The time to trade him should have been this season. There wasn't a sniff of improvement in his work ethic leading up to the trade deadline. Barring a defenseman for a forward deal like Calgary made with Victoria this season, it is probably going to be pretty tough to make a fair deal for him now if he has another nearly full season of being equalled in production by the stay-at-home defensemen on his team, and lazy defensive zone play under his belt. I don't think they have a lot of options other than to sit on him now and hope he figures things out.

The bigger underlying question and discussion point here is why are these supposed star players loosing their motivation to play whl hockey in Red Deer. They have an arena/dressing room/workout room that is as close to nhl calibre as any in the league. They are playing for an nhl calibre coach that hockey Canada has relied on to bring gold home at the world junior hockey tournament. They have a GM that has attempted to make this team better this year and has given them the opportunity to compete for the memorial cup. Lastly, they have fans that continue to come to the games after what has been numerous disappointing seasons in a row. What is the problem here?

40-45 points is a reasonable amount for a player on the checking line getting PP time on an Elite team, and very reasonable for a similar player on an average/good team like the Rebels.
    Yeah, I know. That's what I just said, but glad we are on the same page.

With regards to trading Fleury this year, I couldn't agree any less that you ship out an NHL first rounder after 35 games of subpar performance. And let's face it, if Sutter had a can't miss deal for Fleury where he could have improved the team, he would have taken it. We aren't privy to what Sutter is doing, but the fact that Fleury puts on a Rebels uniform means that Sutter either believes he will come around, couldn't get an acceptable return for him, or both.

If he rights the ship, he will absolutely blow away the value that could be had getting a Dumba-like return for this team. To me the risk to reward here is acceptable.

And yes Moonergroupie, nail on the head with your entire post. It's difficult to grasp. I have no idea what the problem is.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 02-14-2015 at 01:08 PM.