Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

I don't know if I necessarily disagree with it. His team is having major issues beating teams that are 20-25 points (!!) below them in the standings, and has been for far too long. Even minus Bleackley and Bobyk, they have more than enough talent that these games shouldn't be super competitive, much less taking Ls on them. Like I said, I don't think he did it because he wants to embarrass or hurt guys on his team, I think he did it because the other avenues he's taken to arrest this problem and get it turned around have obviously not worked. So he's giving this a shot. Quite frankly, things aren't going to get a whole lot worse, so why not?

That said, I'm not really sold that it's going to help. If guys, especially 20 year olds whose last chance this is, can't get up for these games without their coach shaming them into it, I don't know if that's even fixable at this point.

I think I am even more surprised by the drop off in production of the 19 year olds that are competing for a 20 year old spot on a Memorial cup team next year and the 17 and 18 year olds that have/had a legitimate chance of being drafted this year than the 20 year olds. How can a guaranteed bye to the Memorial cup tournament and being drafted into the NHL not be enough to keep you motivated to play your best? Maybe to much pressure being put on themselves? I don't know.

Finally... a win to feel good about!

- The power play awakens!

- Monster night for Brooks Maxwell, and couldn't be happier for him. He played his ass off last night in Medicine Hat, and good to see him rewarded tonight.

- Feser, Kopeck, Maxwell, Johnson all with multi point games. Those guys gotta put the puck in the net with or without Bleackley in the lineup if the Rebels want to make any noise beyond the first round.

- Burman with 34 saves on 36 shots.

It's not like Swifty is a bottom feeder, either, although honestly with the way they've been playing a resounding W like this would have been welcome against anyone. This was a desperately needed effort tonight, and I was really worried that the tent was going to get folded up completely after a pretty good effort last night in Med Hat that gleaned absolutely zero results. I know it's a single game, but this is like an oasis in the desert for a team that basically looked ready to roll over and die the last month.

Hopefully this kind of play spills over into the weekend.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 03-04-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Whoever the Swift Current Hotel worker was that gave Maxwell, Johnson and Kopeck their wake up calls this morning needs to be given a full time position with the Rebels. Hopefully in 10 games time, we can look back at this one as the game that got things turned around and headed in the right direction again. Will be interesting to see how the weekend goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Newice14 View Post
    You mentioned that Sutter hasn't been calling anything in the media as of late. I fully disagree; there has been numerous occasions the past few seasons where he mentioned that a player got a penalty which resulted in a pp goal for the opposition costing the Rebels the game. So a teenager picks up the paper and with the rest of Red Deer reads how he was to blame for screwing up the game...He just commented on how scouts call him and ask what is going on with Pawlenchuk, I'm sorry, but that kind of comment does not belong in a newspaper. In his defence, he did say that Pawlenchuk is turning it around. This is not the NHL, fair enough some of these players are preparing for the next level, but the fact remains they are only in the Dub and should be treated accordingly. These players are not responding to their coach. Why is that? I refuse to believe that the whole dressing room is full of brats. Mentioning that the AP player will take up the spot of anybody not delivering the goods is also not very smart. It creates animosity towards the very innocent 16 year old , that is just the way it works with team dynamics.
    I think part of the success of the program developing players for pro hockey is the accountability and maturing process the players need to go through. The paper wanted to do an article on Pawlenchuk, probably asked why his year has been inconsistent, so Sutter answered it. This happens with every coach, everywhere.

In regards to the 16 year old comment, he probably made those exact remarks to the team after the game haha. Once again, in every sport, on every team, there comes a time when young players come in and push for roster spots when veterans struggles. creates competition, its healthy. Sounds like you have a more permanent dislike to Sutter, my comments wont change your mind.

Good win tonight. I've had really no major issues with how the team has played the last 2-3 weeks, save for 2-3 games. There were games they lost where they deserved to win, just were having trouble putting the puck in the net. On the whole, it hasn't been 2-3 weeks of ****ty effort, just ****ty finishing haha. It's impossible to not notice the difference when 2 of your top 9 forwards are out though. The team has depth up front, but over 40 goals out of your lineup for those 3 players is over 20% of the years total, tough to magically find a bunch of offense elsewhere. All in all, nice to see them rewarded, they have been playing much better.

Much better effort in this game, and all of the tough bounces that have been going against them of late, all seemed to be going for them last night.

I have to say that I was a bit worried when Maxwell was already serving his third minor penalty, fifteen minutes into this contest, however, in the end, he was as motivated on the score sheet as he was on the penalty sheet. Maybe he is getting himself into playoff mode?

Burman played a good game, and Wyatt Johnson created a pile of turnovers last night with his great two-way play.

Has anyone else noticed, that Strand doesn't take a pile of penalties, but when he does, they are always really lazy/stupid penalties, and the other team scores almost immediately on the ensuing powerplay EVERY time? They have to start digging down on the PK for his penalties, and help this kid out a bit!

The addition of Reese Johnson seems to have sparked the team a little too. He has enough skill and hustle to slot into just about any place on the team right now. I wonder if we will see any other AP call ups before the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    I think part of the success of the program developing players for pro hockey is the accountability and maturing process the players need to go through. The paper wanted to do an article on Pawlenchuk, probably asked why his year has been inconsistent, so Sutter answered it. This happens with every coach, everywhere.

In regards to the 16 year old comment, he probably made those exact remarks to the team after the game haha. Once again, in every sport, on every team, there comes a time when young players come in and push for roster spots when veterans struggles. creates competition, its healthy. Sounds like you have a more permanent dislike to Sutter, my comments wont change your mind.

Good win tonight. I've had really no major issues with how the team has played the last 2-3 weeks, save for 2-3 games. There were games they lost where they deserved to win, just were having trouble putting the puck in the net. On the whole, it hasn't been 2-3 weeks of ****ty effort, just ****ty finishing haha. It's impossible to not notice the difference when 2 of your top 9 forwards are out though. The team has depth up front, but over 40 goals out of your lineup for those 3 players is over 20% of the years total, tough to magically find a bunch of offense elsewhere. All in all, nice to see them rewarded, they have been playing much better.
    No, unfortunately you won't change my mind. But I do enjoy all the different viewpoints! The team played really well against Swift Current. They looked relaxed and put the puck in the net. Sutter was away and the kids responded well to Truitt. Perhaps they all needed a break from each other..
    Last edited by Newice14; 03-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Default RD & SC

The Rebels looked pretty good after the first period last night. However the Broncos couldn't beat a team of old grandmas lately. They have been losing to the Blades, Pats & Tigers when everyone else is beating these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Newice14 View Post
    No, unfortunately you won't change my mind. But I do enjoy all the different viewpoints! The team played really well against Swift Current. They looked relaxed and put the puck in the net. Sutter was away and the kids responded well to Truitt. Perhaps they all needed a break from each other..
    Right. I guess that also explains the run of 22-7-5 after the tough start? Sounds kind picky choosy depending on the situation....

As a long time fan, who observed from a distance for a few years, I have always preferred a sterner approach than a soft one anyway. Prepare these kids for the real world, its too soft of a generation. There sure is a pile of them playing in the NHL right now, so i'll always give the organizations the benefit of the doubt that development matters as much as winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

The addition of Reese Johnson seems to have sparked the team a little too. He has enough skill and hustle to slot into just about any place on the team right now. I wonder if we will see any other AP call ups before the end of the season?
    Couldn't agree more. Speed, toughness, skill, will be a great player down the road. I'd guess they will call one or two up for insurance, but when healthy again i'm sure we will see Strand, Adamson, Grman, and Dewit rotate through, so not sure if the AP's would get a chance anyway??