Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    With Regina looking like they are going to have a very solid team next year, that first round pick is looking like it could come late in the first round.
    Maybe, or maybe not. Either way, both Leschyshyn and the 1st round pick that the Rebels acquired are still both unproven/unknown commodities at this point, and likely still will be when the Rebels move the pick for some assets.

From an experience standpoint, this team needs to go on a decent run in the playoffs this year to prepare themselves for the memorial cup run.
    The players they have added over the last two seasons, have 25 games of playoff experience, and a dozen or so games of Memorial cup experience. Aside from fifteen minutes in the second period, the Rebels have played good, tough, tight-checking playoff hockey. They really just don't match up well with Medicine Hat offensively, especially with Musil out and Bleackley not quite 100 percent yet.

The ideal situation is always to get more playoff experience for sure, but due to a number of circumstances, those things don't always happen. Bleackley had a really slow start, and was injured for the last two months of the season. Musil was injured for parts of the season, limiting his effectiveness. Fleury played like a third pairing defenseman, that the team was forced to give first pairing minutes to.

I think that if Sutter was truly serious about making a big run in the playoffs this season, he would have made a move to solidify the goaltending at the trade deadline, rather than gutting it out with two rookie goaltenders.

If Reese Johnson is healthy, can't see how his energy alone isn't a huge upgrade to quite a few players that played in last night's game.
    There are a few guys that need to be stepping up to fill the some of the void left by the injury to Musil, and it hasn't happened so far.

With Regina looking like they are going to have a very solid team next year, that first round pick is looking like it could come late in the first round. If this is the case, Leschyshyn probably would have been much better trade bait for this team than the first round pick might be. We needed Gay to do something for this team to make that trade have value and we have yet to see it. From an experience standpoint, this team needs to go on a decent run in the playoffs this year to prepare themselves for the memorial cup run. Gay and Sheen were brought in to help accomplish this. Barring a huge come back, I can't see how a 5 game, first round loss to MH is going to help this core group gain the experience they need to be Memorial cup competitors next year.

If Reese Johnson is healthy, can't see how his energy alone isn't a huge upgrade to quite a few players that played in last night's game.
    A first and second, for a first, is already good value. The player has not been great, but I always found it strange they received Gay plus those picks, if he was THAT good. Leads me to believe the team knew what they were getting.

You give yourself the best chance to have a deep run. Bleackley doesn't play the last 7 weeks, or Polei, or Bobyk for a few weeks late, and they still finish fourth in conference. With those guys in, they prob win the division. The new format meant they would have to upset 2 teams in a row to get to the conf final, seems unlikely.

Team has played very well overall the last month, and all the games in the series have been good, save for one period, that all bodes well for next season. There have been no shortage of teams recently who go from a first round exit one year, to 3-4th round the next. The team will be strong next year, and all players will have played meamingful games. As a fan, no issues here!

Hockey4, I too enjoyed all the play off games. The boys are up against an extremely talented team with one of the best first lines in the league. Although I am not always the biggest Sutter fan , I have to say he has done a pretty good job matching line ups and keeping the scores low.
    SectionN , after every one of your posts I wonder why you don't apply for the head scout position. You might be able to solve all those problems you keep ranting about. So you want to have players scratched who played a full 72 games the season and replace some of them with the extra goalie...your comments are borderline cyberbullying, you obviously have your favourite players and some others can't do anything right in your eyes, but wanting to "scratch" Feser in the play offs is simply ridiculous! The other two also contributed to the scoreboard during the past few games , so yes , let them sit
    Bleackley will likely need a few more games to get back in top form, so it won't help to carry on about that.Altogether they put on a huge effort against the Tigers, I hate saying it , but the matter of the fact is that the Tigers are simply a better team and that it will take a miracle to pull off this series. I hope I am wrong!
    Last edited by Newice14; 04-04-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Maybe, or maybe not. Either way, both Leschyshyn and the 1st round pick that the Rebels acquired are still both unproven/unknown commodities at this point, and likely still will be when the Rebels move the pick for some assets.
    Well, it's hard to say what Leschyshyn would have done with a chance in Red Deer, but in Regina he has mostly been the 3rd line centerman between Gabrielle and Cole, and Paddock has confidence in him to play in all situations. Hasn't been scratched since being called up either. His face-off ability is ridiculous and he doesn't back down from anybody. It's surprising how little he shows his age. He plays with tons of confidence. Great all around player and just keeps getting better with every game. Loved last game in Swift Current when I thought Gabrielle was getting mauled by a couple older Bronco players, but turned out it was actually Leschyshyn getting in their face! He looks like a 12 year old, but is playing more like a 17 year old.

If the Pats keep playing like this next season, that '16 1st rounder could easily be as low as 18th or 20th overall. Right now, in terms of immediate impact, Pats are looking like the run away winners in this trade. It all comes down to what happens with the Rebels 3 picks and Pats 1 pick in 2-7 years from now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Newice14 View Post
    Bleackley will likely need a few more games to get back in top form, so it won't help to carry on about that.Altogether they put on a huge effort against the Tigers, I hate saying it , but the matter of the fact is that the Tigers are simply a better team and that it will take a miracle to pull off this series. I hope I am wrong!
    It sure looks like Bleackley is either still hurt/not in shape/not interested. I'll go with one of the first two haha.

Agree with the last point, it's been good hockey. Just feels strange that we have to "upset" a team in round one

Quote Originally Posted by Newice14 View Post
    So you want to have players scratched who played a full 72 games the season and replace some of them with the extra goalie...
    Gotta try something different. An extremely disproportionate number of plays end on Feser and Nell's sticks. Feser is at least a streaky scorer, however Nell doesn't even get scoring chances anymore.
    your comments are borderline cyberbullying
    ???

you obviously have your favourite players and some others can't do anything right in your eyes, but wanting to "scratch" Feser in the play offs is simply ridiculous! The other two also contributed to the scoreboard during the past few games , so yes , let them sit
    I do have my favourite players. They are the ones that play solid hockey at both ends of the ice, and don't take shifts/entire games off. Players that show improvement game after game and don't regress are also players that I favour. Players that don't play hard to get drafted, then take their foot off the gas the following season (or in some cases, put it in reverse). I will admit, that I can appreciate a player that can play a solid, aggressive defensive game, even if they aren't putting up offensive numbers.

Bleackley will likely need a few more games to get back in top form, so it won't help to carry on about that.
    I think he is still playing hurt. Too much of coincidence that he got all better exactly as the playoffs arrived. It is unfortunate, as they could have used him to be 100 percent.

Altogether they put on a huge effort against the Tigers, I hate saying it , but the matter of the fact is that the Tigers are simply a better team and that it will take a miracle to pull off this series. I hope I am wrong!
    You are right about that. The Rebels made a pair of moves to improve their scoring depth to a level that is less than what the Tigers had before making moves to improve their own scoring depth. Also, while Toth has played well so far in this series, the more experienced Langhamer has been simply outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight Guy View Post
    It all comes down to what happens with the Rebels 3 picks and Pats 1 pick in 2-7 years from now.....
    Unless they win another Memorial Cup next season, the Rebels will ultimately be the long-term losers in the deal, as they are almost certainly going to deal all of those picks for some impact players next season. It is just the nature of hosting the Memorial Cup.

You control one line and you control the Medicine Hat Tigers. As you have heard Cam say 20 times tonight. They have 9 of the tigers 12 goals in this series. Judging by the fact that Sheen is a minus 2 tonight, I am guessing Sutter is using his line against MHs top line again tonight. We seen the improvement in the Rebels in the third period Thursday when the Johnson line played against them. Johnson is the top defensive forward on this Rebel team. You have to question coaching with that decision.
    A 20th and a second round pick for a 6th overall pick is not what I would consider good value. You hear NHL and WHL GMs say it all the time that after about the tenth overall pick there isn't much difference between players thru the third round. Sutter was excited to get Leschyshyn with that pick and he is playing effective minutes right now for Regina as a 15 year old. Hopefully Regina struggles the start of next year to give that first round pick a higher value for trade bait early as there is still some major holes up front that need to be filled on the Rebels next year.
    SectionN is bang on with his assessment of Feser's play. He is a 19 year old, not playing against Medicine Hat's top players and has been a huge liability at times. I don't know if a younger player would have played any better in game 4, but can't seen how they would have played any worse.
    I agree 100% that there are lots of teams that go from a first round loss to a third or fourth the next year. The problem is this team is in the Memorial cup next year. Guessing I wouldn't like the stats for teams that exit the first round in 5 games and win the show the following year. Sutter has lots of work to do before trade deadline next year.
    Last edited by Moonergroupie; 04-04-2015 at 10:00 PM.

A pretty disappointing end to the season, but hardly a surprising one, and it illustrates the point I've been making for most of the season (but has been written off as a hater's point of view): this team is not close. A lot of work to be done to get this team where it can even be taken seriously as a contender for the conference, nevermind the Memorial Cup. I hope next year is worth it, because Sutter's going to lose his shirt with the sheer number of high quality pieces he needs to add.

A 20th and a second round pick for a 6th overall pick is not what I would consider good value.
    The Rebels aren't going to get a lot more for an unproven 16 year old, than they will for a draft pick whose position will almost certainly be unknown by the time it is traded. Either way neither one would be a great value, because they will ultimately be used to acquire a short-term solution.

You hear NHL and WHL GMs say it all the time that after about the tenth overall pick there isn't much difference between players thru the third round.
    Usually 'former' GMs I would imagine, as all sorts of gems are picked in the second round, and even in the later rounds (and they often play until they are/as overage players). One only has to think back a few seasons to Landon Ferraro to realize that putting all your faith in a top 10 bantam draft pick is total folly.

Sutter has lots of work to do before trade deadline next year.
    His first order of business is to really swing for the fences on his Import draft picks. The good news is that the blueline seems to be more or less in place for next season, so he will be less likely to waste any more import picks on Defensemen, because whoever is telling him these guys that he has been drafting are good, do not have his best interests in mind.

I still have no idea what happened with Jansens, and why they kept him on IR for three months, then sent him home. While you have to admire Grman's work ethic, and his overall attitude regarding the team, it is going to be very difficult to overlook any sort of skilled forwards that may be available with that second pick, and can add to the scoring depth of the team.