Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 roster

Iconcup 2014 2015 roster

goal: Burman
    Toth I see a trade coming here for a backup.

.dman: Fleury Jansons
    Doetzel Mahura
    Cote Grman
    Shmoorkoff Strand
    Charif
    I can see a trade coming here also.
    We are going to be young on the d this year.
    We have a very good top three.

Forwards:

Bleackey Maxwell Kopeck
    Pawlenchuk Musil McCarty
    Johnson Feser Polei
    Burke Niel Logel
    Dixon he Will play both back and forwad.
    KEEPING THE FAITH
    clrkth drop the puck clrkth

I see it shaping up something like this;

Defense

Cote - Fleury
    Jansons - Doetzel
    Charif - Grman
    Mahura - Shmoorkoff

Forwards

Kopeck - Bleackley - Polei
    Pawlenchuk - Musil - Feser
    Johnson - Maxwell - Burke
    Dixon - Nell - Fafard
    Logel - Chorney - McCarty

Goaltenders

Burman - Toth

I honestly don't see this lasting too long though. I think that around 15 games in, they will be looking for a replacement for Toth, probably an overage goaltender. Also it just felt wrong somehow to put two overage players on the bottom two lines, although I think Maxwell will get extra ice time on the penalty kill.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

Defense

Cote - Fleury
    Jansons - Doetzel
    Charif - Grman
    Mahura - Shmoorkoff

Forwards

Kopeck - Bleackley - Polei
    Pawlenchuk - Musil - Feser
    Johnson - Maxwell - Burke
    Dixon - Nell - Fafard
    Logel - Chorney - McCarty

Goaltenders

Burman - Toth

I honestly don't see this lasting too long though. I think that around 15 games in, they will be looking for a replacement for Toth, probably an overage goaltender. Also it just felt wrong somehow to put two overage players on the bottom two lines, although I think Maxwell will get extra ice time on the penalty kill.
    Polei has looked that good, or has everyone else looked that mediocre?

On paper, that lineup makes me feel like we have a long seasons ahead of us. Hopefully they surprise the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post

On paper, that lineup makes me feel like we have a long seasons ahead of us. Hopefully they surprise the hell out of me.
    Unfortunately, I can't help but agree with you, Calcheyup. I'm sure Polei has improved from last season and I actually quite like him as a player and the potential he has, but if we're counting on him playing top line minutes for us, yikes. Could be another year of limited talent and even less depth. Yes, Bleackley and Fleury are elite players, but it really drops off after those two. I too hope I am wrong, but when I look at the rosters of the Oil Kings and Hitmen, who both had more players drafted than we did this season, it makes me cringe. Couple that with the always strong Ice and Tigers and I find myself very thankful for the Lethbridge Hurricanes for making sure they're always worse than us.

On another note, is it just me or was it a little disappointing reading Sutter's comments about Sterzer today? As a fan, I too am disappointed that he won't be back and would go as far as to say that on the surface it appears he probably hasn't handled it the right way. However, I don't see or appreciate the value in the face of the franchise calling the kid out publicly and questioning his commitment for wanting to move on with his life. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I was really disappointed in that. The kid's heart isn't in it and he's been through some life changing events - sad to see him go, but this fan wishes him all the best.

Judging by the articles in the Advocate, he sprung this on Sutter without any warning. If that's true, then Brent has every right to be upset. Not only did he give up a decent WHL forward and a pick to get him, but he lost the opportunity to try to fill the void he is leaving this offseason by not knowing he was gonna pull the plug. Whatever his reasons are, it certainly doesn't sound like the young man went about this the right way, and left his team and teammates high and dry.

Polei is 10lbs lighter than he was playing at last season, and looks like he really took his conditioning seriously in the offseason. He played every training camp scrimmage on a line with Bleackley and Pratt. Have heard some 'rink talk', that opposition teams were really taking runs at Bleackley last season, which lead to him being injured/worn down in the second half, and that they want to add a 'deterrent' to his line. I think that Polei could end up being the most surprising player this season.

I suspect that they aren't going to have a fantastic record in at least the first 20 games or so... I give it 15 games before they acquire an experienced goaltender to replace Toth. I think that my fourth line would be as entertaining as hell to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeFan View Post
    On another note, is it just me or was it a little disappointing reading Sutter's comments about Sterzer today?
    I assume you mean:

"It's disappointing because we gave up assets to acquire him. He's quitting on us, and it's a knock to his teammates. It's tough, but that's his decision, his choice to play CIS hockey."

Sutter has to be accountable to the fans, for why a potential 50-60 point forward isn't returning this season. All he did was make it very clear that the decision was all Sterzer's, and he didn't really say anything that wasn't true. It is disappointing because they gave up assets to acquire him, he did quit on them, it is a knock to his teammates (as I am sure they were expecting him to be there as well), and it is his decision to play CIS hockey this year.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup
    Not only did he give up a decent WHL forward and a pick to get him
    Bellerieve was an addition through subtraction deal, sort of like Gaudet. Does hurt to give up that third rounder though, for a player that only played 30 games here.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

Defense

Cote - Fleury
    Jansons - Doetzel
    Charif - Grman
    Mahura - Shmoorkoff
    Do you think that Sutter puts all his eggs in one basket and pairs his best puck moving defensemen? I haven't seen anything from the import guys, but pairing Doetzel with one of those guys would make more sense IMO, and then play Cote and Fleury together on the powerplay. Your thoughts?

[QUOTE=SectionNDeserter;197103]I assume you mean:

"It's disappointing because we gave up assets to acquire him. He's quitting on us, and it's a knock to his teammates. It's tough, but that's his decision, his choice to play CIS hockey."

That's part of it. The two lines that stuck out for me were "To play at this level takes a major commitment and he’s not a committed player,” said the Rebels boss, and "He's quitting on us, and it's a knock to his teammates."

It wasn't too many years ago that Sutter himself walked away from the New Jersey Devils. Out of interest after reading your response, I googled that and came across an old article.

Sutter's quote:"It might not be the right decision for some people and that's fine," Sutter said in a conference call from his home in Red Deer, Alberta. "I don't look at it like I am quitting on anything.

"I threw two years of my life and made a big commitment 3,000 miles away from where my life was and tried to do everything I possibly could to accomplish a goal. So by me doing that my life has suffered in other areas, and those areas to me are bigger than the game."

GM Lamoriello's response: While disappointed, Lamoriello said he understood it.

"He had to come to grips on what was best for himself, his family and his Red Deer team," Lamoriello said in a telephone interview. "He was the only person who could make that decision and I respect that."

Lamoriello didn't call him out for quitting or a lack of commitment, he just respected the decision. Reading that just confirmed what I was already feeling, and it would've been classy for Sutter to pay that forward to a young guy trying to make a responsible life decision that I'm sure was very tough for him. Who knows, maybe that attitude on the coach's part is part of the reason why the kid isn't coming back in the first place.

In any event, I hope the exodus is over and everyone here will stay. Looking forward to opening night!

Do you think that Sutter puts all his eggs in one basket and pairs his best puck moving defensemen?
    After Fleury, I am not sure if most of them are significantly better than one another at moving the puck.

I haven't seen anything from the import guys, but pairing Doetzel with one of those guys would make more sense
    That is exactly why I paired Doetzel with Jansons.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeFan
    Sutter's quote:"It might not be the right decision for some people and that's fine," Sutter said in a conference call from his home in Red Deer, Alberta. "I don't look at it like I am quitting on anything.
    Sutter left the Devils in June, at the completion of the regular season. Sterzer just didn't show up to camp the next season. I see what you are saying, but it would be a lot less of a knock to his teammates, had he said goodbye to them at the end of the regular season, and told them and the team that he wasn't returning.